News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Macclesfield next season

Author Topic: Macclesfield next season  (Read 4621 times)

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Macclesfield next season
« on: May 18, 2021, 07:39:45 PM »

The FA announced details today of the reorganisation of non-League football steps 4 to 6 for next season.

The new Macclesfield club are starting a division higher than I had expected in the North West Counties Premier, where, among others, they will take on Northwich Victoria, and have a trip down Altrincham Road to visit Wythenshawe Town, who got promoted, as did  our relatively recent opponents Vaixhall Motors. They will all be a division below fans' club 1874 Northwich who got promoted out of this league.

Older fans might be interested to see the name of South Liverpool who have been promoted to North West Counties Division 1 North.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Macclesfield next season
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 07:47:10 PM »

I expect they'll walk it, be surprised if they dont, do we know how many go up?
Bernard Taylors barmy army

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 08:42:49 PM »

The FA announced details today of the reorganisation of non-League football steps 4 to 6 for next season.

The new Macclesfield club are starting a division higher than I had expected in the North West Counties Premier, where, among others, they will take on Northwich Victoria, and have a trip down Altrincham Road to visit Wythenshawe Town, who got promoted, as did  our relatively recent opponents Vaixhall Motors. They will all be a division below fans' club 1874 Northwich who got promoted out of this league.

Older fans might be interested to see the name of South Liverpool who have been promoted to North West Counties Division 1 North.

Sorry to be dim. Can you clarify whether they are starting at step 4, 5 or 6?

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 08:53:25 PM »

South Liverpool ! We signed Eric Shreeve from them. Peter Eales was one of their players too. I remember going there in the NPL on a bitterly cold winter day. It was the only match still on within 30 miles or so. They'd had braziers on the pitch to stop it freezing and the surface was rutted and bumpy. Any grass had long since gone. The match finished 0-0 and was truly dreadful. Big crowd in though, so the effort to get the game on was worth it for the club.

The land where Holly Park stood is now part of Liverpool South Parkway railway station.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 08:58:07 PM »

Sorry to be dim. Can you clarify whether they are starting at step 4, 5 or 6?

Step 5.
I am not sure how many get promoted. There are now 17 leagues at Step 5 and 8 at Step 4, so it must be either one or two.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 09:06:01 PM »

South Liverpool ! We signed Eric Shreeve from them. Peter Eales was one of their players too. I remember going there in the NPL on a bitterly cold winter day. It was the only match still on within 30 miles or so. They'd had braziers on the pitch to stop it freezing and the surface was rutted and bumpy. Any grass had long since gone. The match finished 0-0 and was truly dreadful. Big crowd in though, so the effort to get the game on was worth it for the club.

The land where Holly Park stood is now part of Liverpool South Parkway railway station.

They play in Aigburth now, closer to the city centre, as well as in a nicer area than Holly Park.
They had a year of only playing youth football and then merged with Cheshire Lines but are back in the non-League pyramid after 30 years in the Liverpool County Combination and West Cheshire League.

I remember going to the new (?) club a few years ago and they listed in the programme the players who had played most games for the club and Peter Eales was included as well as Albie Nieman who played a couple of games for us.

They were the first club John King managed, and I think he may have brought Gary Anderson with him from there.

Silent but Ledley

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 05:59:55 AM »

I believe that normally a new club has to start out in the lowest tier however, the powers that be have the right to start a team in a higher league taking into account, resources, revenues, crowds etc etc etc. I suppose its a H/Safety thing. SBL

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 08:35:50 AM »

I believe that normally a new club has to start out in the lowest tier however, the powers that be have the right to start a team in a higher league taking into account, resources, revenues, crowds etc etc etc. I suppose its a H/Safety thing. SBL

Brian posted a league rule from 2017/18 on Facebook fans group that stated that a club that loses its membership higher in the pyramid can start up to NPL subject to space.
It's all my fault.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 08:39:17 AM »

Didn't FCUM start in the league below this?
I think Chester started again in the league above.
The 'rules' seem a bit arbitrary to me.
Starting lower with much less travelling was seen as a financial boost to clubs at that level but I guess with the reorganisation of the pyramid, dropping them down a further level might be seen as excessive.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2021, 11:30:19 AM »

They play in Aigburth now, closer to the city centre, as well as in a nicer area than Holly Park.
They had a year of only playing youth football and then merged with Cheshire Lines but are back in the non-League pyramid after 30 years in the Liverpool County Combination and West Cheshire League.

I remember going to the new (?) club a few years ago and they listed in the programme the players who had played most games for the club and Peter Eales was included as well as Albie Nieman who played a couple of games for us.

They were the first club John King managed, and I think he may have brought Gary Anderson with him from there.

Gary Anderson made his Alty debut during the 1981/82 season and then went on to record 15 league appearances for us during the 1982/83 campaign (I seem to recall that he was sent off during our 2-1 FA Cup First Round victory over Rochdale in November 1982).

He started the 1983/84 season at South Liverpool under the management team of John King & George Rooney, who eventually succeeded Tony Sanders at Moss Lane in January 1984. The 1984/85 season saw the return of Anderson for the second of his three spells with the Robins.   

Here's a photograph of the South Liverpool team at the start of the 1983/84 season (note the presence of Lawrence Iro and Kevan Hawkins, too):

South Liverpool FC

Back Row (l - r) John King (manager), Lawrence Iro, Steve Cole, Ian Gibson, Kevin O'Brien, Danny Atwere, Phil McFerran, Barry Williams, George Rooney (asst manager) 

Front Row (l-r) Gary Anderson, Kevin Hawkins, John McInnes, Keith Featherstone, Russ Hooton, Tony Scott.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 11:34:46 AM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2021, 10:38:10 PM »

It would be a decent gesture if we can reopen the rivalry with a friendly.

I know it may not be the most competitive game, but we could show our intent by supporting them - and thrashing them!!!!

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2021, 08:31:23 AM »

It would be a decent gesture if we can reopen the rivalry with a friendly.

I know it may not be the most competitive game, but we could show our intent by supporting them - and thrashing them!!!!

I agree we should allow our under 18's to play their first team
Bernard Taylors barmy army

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2021, 09:11:13 AM »

Curious to understand the criteria that would place Macc in Step 5, but Bury AFC in Step 6.

I know they have to satisfy numerous criteria to be entered into the setup at all - I assume Macc could tick more of them off from the outset maybe. Otherwise, it just seems a bit odd as surely, if anything, Bury's phoenix would be bigger.

md555

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2021, 05:31:38 PM »

Curious to understand the criteria that would place Macc in Step 5, but Bury AFC in Step 6.

I know they have to satisfy numerous criteria to be entered into the setup at all - I assume Macc could tick more of them off from the outset maybe. Otherwise, it just seems a bit odd as surely, if anything, Bury's phoenix would be bigger.

Bury's fanbase is currently split between the new phoenix club and some holding onto hope that Bury FC will re-enter the pyramid. Bury have also lost Gigg Lane and AFC are groundsharing at Radcliffe.

Macc's fanbase is united behind the phoenix club, have sold 1000 season tickets/memberships and have 3.5 million spent on ground improvements. These were probably all taken into consideration.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Macclesfield next season