PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Dens & other Testimonials
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dens & other Testimonials  (Read 6839 times)

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Dens & other Testimonials
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2021, 07:48:08 PM »

Wow, 85p... couldn't remember exact price for game... was 'outraged' at various points in my life at cost of things going up like bus trip from Sale to Manc on 263/264 going over 10p (was 7p when 1st had trip as kid)... also pint of beer going over £1 per pint... & cost of entry into Alty going over £1 entry... now look at how much these things cost... still, love Alty, no matter the cost, but maybe could do with a beer whilst watching the last few months... :)

Youd be shocked at the price of a house round herr
It's all my fault.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2021, 08:28:19 PM »

Wow, 85p... couldn't remember exact price for game... was 'outraged' at various points in my life at cost of things going up like bus trip from Sale to Manc on 263/264 going over 10p (was 7p when 1st had trip as kid)... also pint of beer going over £1 per pint... & cost of entry into Alty going over £1 entry... now look at how much these things cost... still, love Alty, no matter the cost, but maybe could do with a beer whilst watching the last few months... :)

Youd be shocked at the price of a house round herr

LOL, my Jennifer never ceases to be gobsmacked when I show her!

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2021, 11:46:12 PM »

One pound a pint.
That was a key milestone that I remember being bemoaned in the press.

Think it was around 1990 - back then I played in a North West quiz league and recall a team playing us the very day that Nelson Mandela was released from prison after many years. Their team name was "F**k me Winnie : it's a pound a pint !"
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2021, 10:19:07 AM »

Now that I have my old git's pass, it's free on the bus, but fares are one of the things that have skyrocketed since I was a kid. When we came to live in Timperley in 1949, the bus fare into Altrincham was tuppence halfpenny for my Mum and three halfpence for me - so four old pence for us both - we could get there and back for the equivalent of less than 4p in today's terms.

When decimalisation happened in 1971 I was exiled in Birmingham. I remember my first pint of Draught Guinness in the new money cost me 13 pence !

Standing on the Holte End at Villa Park was an outrageous 25p ! You could go a mile in a taxi from Altrincham Station for the same amount.

Happy days !

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2021, 11:31:26 AM »

My first season ticket at Alty was a junior one costing me 2 guineas (£2.10) for 21 Cheshire league games plus all reserve matches in the Manchester league.
It went up to 4 guineas when I had to pay adult price! 😉
Only brought home £15 a week so it didn't seem so cheap at the time! 😂😂
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2021, 11:31:15 PM »

Now that I have my old git's pass, it's free on the bus, but fares are one of the things that have skyrocketed since I was a kid. When we came to live in Timperley in 1949, the bus fare into Altrincham was tuppence halfpenny for my Mum and three halfpence for me - so four old pence for us both - we could get there and back for the equivalent of less than 4p in today's terms.

When decimalisation happened in 1971 I was exiled in Birmingham. I remember my first pint of Draught Guinness in the new money cost me 13 pence !

Standing on the Holte End at Villa Park was an outrageous 25p ! You could go a mile in a taxi from Altrincham Station for the same amount.

Happy days !

I seem to remember it was 25p for the train in 1990 (admittedly for juniors). You got a heater you could turn on at Navvy Road too AIR.

I remember we were shocked when it was 8 pounds to get in at Halifax. Funny it's one of the best nl grounds now. City's old stand too.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2021, 11:34:02 PM »

My first season ticket at Alty was a junior one costing me 2 guineas (£2.10) for 21 Cheshire league games plus all reserve matches in the Manchester league.

Did you get to see Jackie Swindells for that?

What was the point of a guinea anyway, surely it was almost the same as a pound (I still prefer it to decimalisation though!)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2021, 09:55:16 AM »

Did you get to see Jackie Swindells for that?

What was the point of a guinea anyway, surely it was almost the same as a pound (I still prefer it to decimalisation though!)

I think the point of the Guinea (one pound and one shilling) was that it meant you had paid two bob (10p) per first team game (21 of them) and got the reserves games free. Could be wrong about the entry price but don't think so.
And yes, Sir Jackie was on view! 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Dens & other Testimonials