PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Dens & other Testimonials
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dens & other Testimonials  (Read 6838 times)

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« on: April 25, 2021, 10:25:42 PM »

After posting something on Best XI thread... thought part of my post about Dens Testimonial deserved own thread...

Regarding Dens, this season was meant to be his testimonial season with a testimonial game at some point... obviously Covid wrecked any plans but hopefully when the pitch is relaid maybe the Dens Testimonial can be the 1st game played on the new pitch (at the end of pre-season aways) and just before new season's 1st home league game... also come mid August hopefully fans will be welcomed in bigger numbers and Covid more under control via more vaccines etc...

Can't wait for the promised Dens Testimonial to reward this Alty Legend... wonder who we'll play in this game & also who Dens may pick for his Alty XI from players he's  played with over his time with us... it will be good to see some of the old boys back for Dens Testimonial...
----------------
I reckon the Dens Testimonial would be a great match to christen the new pitch plus welcome fans before the new season... from his 1st contract in Sept 2008 Dens has some great players he could call on for his Alty Team... wonder who he'll choose... who would you choose from 2008 onwards?

Quick thought on this would be post 2008...

Coburn
Densmore   Havern   Leather   Griffin
     Watmore   Moult   Lawton   Clee
                     Reeves   Hulme
Subs:
TT, Hannigan, Richman, Smith, Hancock, Lawrie, Little

Also what is the best Testimonial/Benefit match you have seen involving an Alty team over the years?
Following Alty since 1977... a rollercoaster ride!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Dens & other Testimonials
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 10:29:38 PM »

When we beat malcolm alisons man city without a shadow of doubt.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 10:51:46 PM »

That's a great shout... take it that's the match City brought a strong line up in autumn 1979 (Sept/Oct?) for Testimonial for four Alty players (Stan Allan, John Owens, Mick Brooke, & think Crossley) for a midweek eve ko...

City had a strong line-up with squad including Corrigan, Ransom, Booth, Donaghie, Power, etc plus stars like Polish international Kazimer Deyna & British TF record signing Daley... 4000 fans turned up & saw Alty win 2-0! This must surely be one of the best Testimonials (if not the best)...

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 11:28:13 PM »

That's a great shout... take it that's the match City brought a strong line up in autumn 1979 (Sept/Oct?) for Testimonial for four Alty players (Stan Allan, John Owens, Mick Brooke, & think Crossley) for a midweek eve ko...

City had a strong line-up with squad including Corrigan, Ransom, Booth, Donaghie, Power, etc plus stars like Polish international Kazimer Deyna & British TF record signing Daley... 4000 fans turned up & saw Alty win 2-0! This must surely be one of the best Testimonials (if not the best)...

I was on shift work and missed it (if it's the game I'm thinking of). Didn't Barry Howard score an absolute peach from way outside the box ? "Like kicking an apple into a letterbox from 30 yards" was how Nic Seller described it.

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 07:30:48 AM »

Yep, that's the game... Barry Howard scored thd 2nd goal in the 2-0 win... he nutmeged someone before scoring from an almost impossible angle, somehow beating Corrigan by hitting the smallest of gaps between keeper & near post... 1st goal was as result of a Howard shot that Corrigan spilled and someone tapped in for Alty after only a few mins play... great game & what a win...

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 12:51:07 PM »

Crowd was 4096 - that was the first game where I ever walked down the tunnel.  I was in awe!  (I still am).

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 01:32:30 PM »

What was the last testimonial? Maddog?
It's all my fault.

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 01:53:05 PM »

Just trying to think if there have been any testimonials since MadDog...

Guess if has been any would have to have been someone who's played 10yrs minimum for testimonial, or benefit game if someone who had career or life limiting injuries...

Always amazed & wondered why Stu Coburn never had a testimonial after club record 689 apps & being with us from 1997 - 2016 (bar one year elsewhere in about 2002)... he was another Alty Legend like Dens...

Are there any other players with long service who missed out on a testimonial in years gone by???

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 04:12:41 PM »

Just trying to think if there have been any testimonials since MadDog...

Guess if has been any would have to have been someone who's played 10yrs minimum for testimonial, or benefit game if someone who had career or life limiting injuries...

Always amazed & wondered why Stu Coburn never had a testimonial after club record 689 apps & being with us from 1997 - 2016 (bar one year elsewhere in about 2002)... he was another Alty Legend like Dens...

Are there any other players with long service who missed out on a testimonial in years gone by???

In terms of their respective number of appearances and achievements, the likes of John Rogers, Mal Bailey and Paul Cuddy spring to mind.

Plus a certain Jackie Swindells!

« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 04:14:56 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 08:08:40 PM »

I also recall there was a Testimonial at the end of the 1982 season for Jeff Johnson, Graham Heathcote, & John Davison... Alty v All Star XI (that included a mix of ex-United & City players plus i think even Mike Sweeney)...

There were several benefit/charity style matches in the late 70s & early 80s too... recall the Bobby Charlton All Stars playing a few games including (if i aint dreamt this) one game v the Altrincham Bus Drivers in early 80s... there was also games involving the Piccadilly Radio Attackers /All Stars as well... some good players always turned up and guested for these teams in those days... happy dayz! :)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2021, 08:10:14 PM »

There was a team played at Moss Lane a few times in the 70's that have now progressed to playing at Old Trafford in the Europa League.  I refer of course to The Granada All Stars

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2021, 09:18:01 PM »

Ha Ha... very funny... good one! 👍
🤣🤣🤣👏👏👏

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2021, 09:32:25 PM »

I also think MadDog's Testimonial in July 2011 may well have been the last Testimonial played at Alty's ground (unless i've forgotten a blatantly obvious one)... a good 2-0 win over Tranmere... here's the match report...

http://www.altrinchamfc.co.uk/11072ts.htm

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2021, 04:46:04 PM »

Yep, that's the game... Barry Howard scored thd 2nd goal in the 2-0 win... he nutmeged someone before scoring from an almost impossible angle, somehow beating Corrigan by hitting the smallest of gaps between keeper & near post... 1st goal was as result of a Howard shot that Corrigan spilled and someone tapped in for Alty after only a few mins play... great game & what a win...

Excerpt from an article from the Robins Review that I wrote about a decade ago:

"On an extremely rainswept night at Moss Lane, 4,059 spectators (who had paid £1.00 for a main stand ticket or 85p to stand on the terraces) watched the Robins outclass their supposedly superior opponents with unexpected ease. After just five minutes, Corrigan could only parry a Barry Howard shot and Graham Barrow (deputising for the ineligible John King in central midfield) calmly slotted home the rebound to register his first goal for the Robins.

Thirty minutes later, it was 2-0, courtesy of a piece of magic from an inspired Barry Howard, who was giving the Blues’ defenders a truly torrid evening. Collecting a throw-in from Graham Heathcote, the Robins’ winger had the temerity to nutmeg the Scottish International full back Donachie, prior to slotting the ball between Corrigan and the near post at the Chequers End from an outrageously acute angle. Alty diehard Phil Jordan remembers his fellow Robins supporter Nic Seller‘s evocative description of Howard’s feat to a work colleague the next day as “like posting an apple through a letterbox from 30 yards!“

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2021, 05:47:50 PM »

Wow, 85p... couldn't remember exact price for game... was 'outraged' at various points in my life at cost of things going up like bus trip from Sale to Manc on 263/264 going over 10p (was 7p when 1st had trip as kid)... also pint of beer going over £1 per pint... & cost of entry into Alty going over £1 entry... now look at how much these things cost... still, love Alty, no matter the cost, but maybe could do with a beer whilst watching the last few months... :)
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team