PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Poll - attendances next season.

Poll

will home league attendances next season be...

greater than what we'd expect (for our league position)
- 8 (25%)
about what we'd expect
- 15 (46.9%)
less than what we'd expect
- 6 (18.8%)
some matches with no spectators allowed
- 2 (6.3%)
all matches with no spectators allowed.
- 1 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Poll - attendances next season.  (Read 4830 times)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: April 23, 2021, 07:09:18 AM »

With only 300 home supporters watching the clash with table-topping Sutton on Alty TV, it will be important to have fans returning in good numbers next season. But with a lot of water under the bridge since that 4-1 win against Spennymoor Town, and a lot that could happen between now and next season, will we get good crowds - or will there be issues?

Freddie

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
Re: Poll - attendances next season.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 08:32:01 AM »

I am sure you recognise this, but that's 300 orders, not 300 fans. I always order for at least two of us!

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 08:39:51 AM »

Ah, I forgot. Still, probably still less than the ten to fifteen hundred we might have got at a match, and then there's the secondary spend.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 08:48:31 AM »

The Sutton game was effectively a dead rubber for us and nobody seriously expected us to be able to compete with them. I also believe that fans are getting streaming fatigue - I certainly am!

I think we'll start with about 1200/1300 (depending on who we play and indeed if fans are allowed to attend) and it will remain about this. If we do well, we'll attract a couple of hundred more. Probably, we'll need to consistently hit 1500 (more I should think) to even think about being full time, so it's vital we are at least competitive.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 01:42:46 PM »

There was around 12 in the King George watching.

I don't think watching games on TV is a great experience be it Sky, BT or Alty TV.

It's all my fault.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 11:16:38 AM »

There was around 12 in the King George watching.

I don't think watching games on TV is a great experience be it Sky, BT or Alty TV.

Absolutely , the novelty of watching on tv is wearing thin, the whole point is to get out with your mates and enjoy the day.  Loads of locals will gladly come to a few games (unless we are constantly getting beat that is)
Bernard Taylors barmy army

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 07:38:31 PM »

Which we are. 800 max.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021, 10:05:14 PM »

I never watch football on TV, less likely if possible on the radio.
Live only for me.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 05:31:42 PM »

We need to have a good pre-season & must overhaul the squad (plus Covid continue to improve) if attendances are to go up from pre-Covid times... way this season is ending crowds would probably drop if fans had been going...

Need to get rid of several players, plus get some replacements including a decent striker... think novelty of being able to attend games again may yet mean crowds may go up... time will tell...
Following Alty since 1977... a rollercoaster ride!

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 03:35:16 AM »

With the season ending today, I am now locking this poll.

The realists are once again in a minority. Still, optimists can be right sometimes and I sincerely hope they are this time (though as I say I have a bad feeling about it). Oh well, we'll see soon enough.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2022, 12:01:15 AM »

Well, I'm glad to say I was wrong to be worried about our attendances this season.

In fact, three quarters of us were wrong, with only 25% predicting increased attendances this season! In hindsight, one could point to several reasons for this. Still, to get crowds of over 2,000 a game finishing 14th - very nearly as many as an FC Halifax Town side challenging for promotion - is remarkable. What an achievement, and what a bright future could await us. Congratulations to all who made it happen, and thank you.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 02:23:18 AM by Hugh »

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2022, 09:55:45 AM »

The size of the crowd is one thing but how many spectators paid full price and how many were subsidised / on freebies is also important.

I know it can be argued that we are investing in the future by promoting "offers" but it's the money taken that influences the playing budget.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2022, 07:03:47 PM »

A fair point. Still, we've had similar schemes in previous years and never come anywhere near these crowds (my first match against Bangor in 1990 was with a free ticket). We knew about these schemes before the season started, but I wonder how many people would have voted for crowds of over 2,000 if that had been an option? It is notable at any rate that someone said we should have crowds of at least 1,500 before thinking about full time, so even if it was several hundred less  we'd still be alright.

Leeds Leeds Alty

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2022, 10:04:03 PM »

Had attendances not been restricted for several games this season, it is clear that our average would have been higher.

This combined with the terrible mid season slump in form.

A strong start maintained through the season should see us averaging 2500 plus, and every prospect of the crowd v Oldham and perhaps Wrexham if they stau down, beating the 3900 that the attendance for Stockport was capped at, and in turn becoming our new highest home league attendance since the 1960s.

On the issue of free tickets for schools the strong evidence is that the kids are coming back, with parents, when they have to pay, having caught the bug, just as so many of us did with free schools tickets back in the day.

The free tickets represent an investment in both the short and the long term future of the club, and add to the buzz and sense of excitement and fun at Moss Lane that is the best it has been for many, many years.

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team