PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Barnet Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Barnet Match Thread  (Read 17982 times)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Barnet Match Thread
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2021, 02:07:05 PM »

My biggest worry would be if we have lapsed into a similarly relaxed mentality to that which appeared to set in when we reached mathematical safety in 2014/15, and which we never seemed to recover from the following season when we ended up getting relegated. I still have huge faith in Phil and Neil to lead us forward, but that is my main concern at present.

I get your point, however you could look at that the other way and that the lads might have found it hard to motivate themselves to go again after such a successful first season, which is clearly no longer the case.

With 2014/15 unless I'm mistaken I think some of our best players (Young to York? Senior to Darlington?) were cherry picked and not adequately replaced, whereas I can't see many of the current lot being poached just yet.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2021, 02:22:30 PM »

My biggest worry would be if we have lapsed into a similarly relaxed mentality to that which appeared to set in when we reached mathematical safety in 2014/15, and which we never seemed to recover from the following season when we ended up getting relegated. I still have huge faith in Phil and Neil to lead us forward, but that is my main concern at present.

I get your point, however you could look at that the other way and that the lads might have found it hard to motivate themselves to go again after such a successful first season, which is clearly no longer the case.

With 2014/15 unless I'm mistaken I think some of our best players (Young to York? Senior to Darlington?) were cherry picked and not adequately replaced, whereas I can't see many of the current lot being poached just yet.

Young and Senior were both long gone by 2014/15.

There was a discernible change after we stayed up that year, which was exacerbated further by our last minute defeat at Colchester in the cup the following season, after which, in all honesty, our heads "went".
Come on Alty!

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2021, 02:24:28 PM »

Yes, Young and Senior left us in the summer of 2010, contributing to our relegation in 2011.

I completely agree with the point about the parallel with the 2014-15 season. One other thing that cost us in 2015-16 is that we ran with a small squad and suffered a lot of injuries. It looks like we're able to run with a bigger squad at the moment which should help but I still think we have a huge battle on our hands to stay in this division next season based on current performances.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2021, 02:34:24 PM »

Sorry my comment was not aimed at the interview it was from comments in the thread
ParkINson's red and white army

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2021, 04:23:56 PM »

Yes, Young and Senior left us in the summer of 2010, contributing to our relegation in 2011.

I completely agree with the point about the parallel with the 2014-15 season. One other thing that cost us in 2015-16 is that we ran with a small squad and suffered a lot of injuries. It looks like we're able to run with a bigger squad at the moment which should help but I still think we have a huge battle on our hands to stay in this division next season based on current performances.

The 2015/16 season also saw us pay the price for some distinctly substandard recruitment during the pre-season e.g. George Bowerman, Josh O'Keefe and the infamous Anthony Griffith.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2021, 06:19:03 PM »

In fairness to PP & Sorvs they call it pretty much how it was after each game. We have had some crucial players out at important times throughout this season.

I’m also sure he knows that the strikers have fallen short of expectations. I also don’t think he needs forumites on here to remind him each week.

Yes I know it’s a forum and folks like to vent their spleen.
Just saying...

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2021, 07:26:33 PM »

In fairness to PP & Sorvs they call it pretty much how it was after each game. We have had some crucial players out at important times throughout this season.

I’m also sure he knows that the strikers have fallen short of expectations. I also don’t think he needs forumites on here to remind him each week.

Yes I know it’s a forum and folks like to vent their spleen.
Just saying...

I'll stop mentioning the strikers when he stops mentioning he won the NPL.
It's all my fault.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2021, 10:06:02 AM »

The 2015/16 season also saw us pay the price for some distinctly substandard recruitment during the pre-season e.g. George Bowerman, Josh O'Keefe and the infamous Anthony Griffith.

Ah yes, getting my relegation seasons mixed up. My mistake.

I think O'Keefe would have worked perfectly fine alongside Moult and Richman in a three-man midfield that season, in a more solid 4-5-1 with either Reeves or Rankine up top, and Ginnelly and AN Other on the wings. I'm sure we actually ran with that for a while, and it contributed to a particular winning streak (or possibly the season before).

Our obsession with playing Lawrie in his 'best position' led to us playing quite a meek 4-4-1-1 which seemed to get ploughed straight through the middle most weeks. Again, happy to be corrected if wrong!

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2021, 11:12:00 AM »

All this talk of Chris senior moving to Darlington makes me wonder where the hell is these days !
ParkINson's red and white army

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2021, 09:13:59 PM »

Perspective: Sutton only managed to beat Barnet 1-0 tonight!

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2021, 09:50:41 PM »

That's no consolation really. They were very poor. There is no way they should have got two goals never mind three. It was embarrassing.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2021, 06:09:01 AM »

I thought the thing about Moult was that he was knackered, part time and not getting any younger.

If Smith and the new lad don't play - Alty 0-1 Barnet. There, I've not put a jinx on it.

Of course, if Smith is back and this new lad is any good, it could be different, these dynamic midfielders can make a big difference sometimes - think of Carmo. But of course, Barnet will see it as one they can win too.

Looks like I'm the only realist! :)

To be fair, it's worse than I thought - Smith did play...

P.S. a bit different from 1991. Yes, they probably all have mobile phones now!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 06:26:44 AM by Hugh »

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2021, 08:41:43 AM »

Perspective: Sutton only managed to beat Barnet 1-0 tonight!

They didn't conceded 3 to a side who've scored last than 30 all season.
It's all my fault.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Barnet Match Thread