PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Local Boy Does Well
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Local Boy Does Well  (Read 9556 times)

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Local Boy Does Well
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2021, 10:47:48 AM »

Marc Riley (ex Fall member and radio 6 DJ) attended the final game of our NPL promotion season. Might have been there for the beer festival,  but he was there
Full time and proud of it

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2021, 01:40:48 PM »

Marc Riley (ex Fall member and radio 6 DJ) attended the final game of our NPL promotion season. Might have been there for the beer festival,  but he was there

Seem him a few times over the last three seasons with his son. In the late 90s he was often in the Railway (Sale) on a Tuesday night for the quiz
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2021, 03:58:13 PM »

Corrie actor Michael LeVell has been known to get along to the odd game - I had to get his autograph for a friend of mine who was too shy!

One of the Radio 5 Live chaps is Jonathan Wall - a fan of the club, who was the station's controller and is now, I believe, in charge of BBC "Sounds"

Story has it that Juan Sebastian Veron's first game in the UK was watching Alty at Moss Lane

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2021, 06:23:50 PM »

Yep, recall Statto stood with Bill Waterson & couple others in corner of ground at Guiseley away in Oct 2019 - think game ended 1-1 (we also drew with them 2-2 away the previous season during the chrimbo period)... used to see him on occasions at Alty home games in years gone by... also recall him from Euro96 & Baddiel/Skinner Fantasy Footy Show...

Guess as well as Statto & Anthony Taylor, there have been other 'celebs/well known' fans eg Frank Sidebottom etc... believe Bill Shankley 'apparently' also watched Alty at times... are there any other 'celebrity' fans who have or stil do follow The Robins? Must be some...

Not sure that we can count either of those two as Alty fans.

I believe that Chris Sievey followed City and Angus Loughran is first and foremost a United supporter.

Didn't the actor Robert Carlyle attend the FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round tie against Stalybridge Celtic on 16th October 1999? As I recall, he had been filming locally.

Does Derek Hatton count as a 'celebrity'? He was espied at a handful of games at Moss Lane during the 1994/95 season due to his son Ben's brief and nondescript playing career with the Robins.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 06:41:39 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2021, 06:41:22 PM »

Unless I misidentified him, I am sure I saw actor Neil Pearson in the main stand at a game a good few years ago - I forget who we were playing except that we scored our winner after about 12 seconds.

Then, of course, there is the Australian 2005 test cricket team: does Ricky Ponting still have his Alty shares?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2021, 06:44:42 PM »

Unless I misidentified him, I am sure I saw actor Neil Pearson in the main stand at a game a good few years ago - I forget who we were playing except that we scored our winner after about 12 seconds.

I recall him vociferously calling for the withdrawal of Michael Twiss from the team by shouting an instruction at Graham Heathcote to "Drop the dead donkey." 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 06:49:33 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2021, 10:41:20 PM »

I recall him vociferously calling for the withdrawal of Michael Twiss from the team by shouting an instruction at Graham Heathcote to "Drop the dead donkey."

That's brilliant Cult. Just roared with laughter at that!

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2021, 01:39:56 AM »

Don't tell me... someone is going to complain about him officiating a Wales game because his mate's dad is Welsh?

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2021, 09:23:40 AM »

Possibly Mansfield - I recall a very early goal against them, scored while people were still moving round from Golf Road to the pop side. Possibly scored by Chris Senior?
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2021, 10:10:44 AM »

Possibly Mansfield - I recall a very early goal against them, scored while people were still moving round from Golf Road to the pop side. Possibly scored by Chris Senior?

Think so......and then sent off after a tangle with big Kyle
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2021, 01:33:14 PM »

Mick,

Those were actually two separate encounters with Mansfield Town:

(1) Tuesday, 23rd September 2008

Altrincham 1 Mansfield Town 0

Chris Senior scored the winning goal after merely 11 seconds.

(2) Saturday, 10th October 2009

Altrincham 1 Mansfield Town 2

Chris Senior was sent off after 28 minutes and Matt Doughty received a red card after 53 minutes.

Kyle Perry scored one of Mansfield's goals.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2021, 09:30:26 PM »

Mick,

Those were actually two separate encounters with Mansfield Town:

(1) Tuesday, 23rd September 2008

Altrincham 1 Mansfield Town 0

Chris Senior scored the winning goal after merely 11 seconds.

(2) Saturday, 10th October 2009

Altrincham 1 Mansfield Town 2

Chris Senior was sent off after 28 minutes and Matt Doughty received a red card after 53 minutes.

Kyle Perry scored one of Mansfield's goals.

Thanks Cult

Almost rigjt

I remember CS pushing KP over right in front of me on the Pop side hoardings.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2021, 11:05:54 PM »

That was the one. Many taken by surprise!

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2021, 03:26:03 PM »

looks like they didn't enjoy it - from their website:

A gut wrenching display from The Stags at Altrincham that really cannot even be called a performance. This was the night that non league reality really thumped home. A tiny ground, home and away fans all sat together with huge posts in view of the action, toilets without lights or sinks ( and home fans share these! ) a thousand odd people in attendance and the Stags are behind within 11 seconds before most have even sat down.

We have had no choice other than to try and be positive in our non league "adventure", but these away grounds that we hoped would be a one season novelty visit suddenly seem a damn site worse after nights like this. OK lets visit them once if we have to but we don`t want to lose here and don`t want to come back!

Stags turned out in their amber shirts and some away fans in the seats commented that the directors were allocated seats not at the back of the stand as usual but behind the dugouts at practically ground level literally right behind posts that hold the stand up! Welcome to Alty.

Before we had settled in our seats and thinking surely to God we will win here we were behind with a ridiculous goal. Alty kicked off and literally ran directly straight for goal, amber shirts appeared frozen in time and what looked a weak if neatly placed shot creeped into the net in one of the most surreal moments I can ever remember watching a Stags game. Even the Alty players couldn`t believe it and nobody dared to celebrate as time stood still, the whole ground united in sheer disbelief. Then it was almost embarrassed celebration and cringeworthy to witness.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2021, 04:01:42 PM »

I wasn't embarrassed. I cheered my head off! 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Local Boy Does Well