PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 1st Pre-Season fixture confirmed...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: 1st Pre-Season fixture confirmed...  (Read 21482 times)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Pre-Season fixture confirmed...
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2021, 01:04:15 AM »

Goodness, that's wonderfully obscure. I go to Anglesey most years and I've never heard of any of them.

I seem to remember there was a column in the Non-League Paper about Gwalchmai a few years ago, by the Groundhopper. Apparently there are some rather wonderful views from the ground (rather a good hymn tune named after the place too, Mike Garnett (rip) would've known it.)

Didn't we discover Kevin Ellison at a Welsh club?

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2021, 07:05:19 AM »

Yep, we got Kevin Ellison from Conwy Utd in 1999 where he'd been playing for a couple of season... what a find, what a player... he only played for us for couple of seasons (mainly on the wing) but had a good goal record of virtually 1goal every 2games he played... can't believe he's still playing at 42! Amazing!!

Just thinking it would be nice to play a friendly on the North Welsh coast... Rhyl, Colwyn Bay, Caenarfon Town, Conwy, etc... if it wasn't for Covid a return to the Isle of Man would also have been a great weekend away...
Following Alty since 1977... a rollercoaster ride!

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2021, 08:40:38 PM »

IIRC Cemaes spent 1 season in the Welsh Premier - and were completely out of their depth.

I used to stay in Burwen (between Cemaes and Amlwch) every year when far younger and used to wonder why we kept going to the "Chemist!"

Stopping at the Menai Straits, weren't Bangor City a regular old foe before the inception of the Komical Welsh Prem?

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2021, 09:29:39 PM »

IIRC Cemaes spent 1 season in the Welsh Premier - and were completely out of their depth.

I used to stay in Burwen (between Cemaes and Amlwch) every year when far younger and used to wonder why we kept going to the "Chemist!"

Stopping at the Menai Straits, weren't Bangor City a regular old foe before the inception of the Komical Welsh Prem?

You are right. They only got 9 points from 38 games, and conceded 155 goals, in their sole season in what was then the League of Wales in 1997-98, which must have been close to the time we played there.  Subsequently, they plummeted through the divisions, right down to the Anglesey League, although they  have since fought their way back up to a certain extent.

Yes, we played Bangor City in league matches every year from 1950 to 1981 and again from 1982-84. They are still going in the Cymru North (second tier), which never played a match this season, although a fans' club CPD Bangor 1876,  has been formed, following the involvement of Stephen Vaughan in the original club, Both clubs play in new separate grounds, right by the Menai Strait.

https://www.welshsoccerarchive.co.uk/index.php/welsh-premier-league-tables

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2021, 09:47:24 PM »

You are right. They only got 9 points from 38 games, and conceded 155 goals, in their sole season in what was then the League of Wales in 1997-98, which must have been close to the time we played there.  Subsequently, they plummeted through the divisions, right down to the Anglesey League, although they  have since fought their way back up to a certain extent.

Yes, we played Bangor City in league matches every year from 1950 to 1981 and again from 1982-84. They are still going in the Cymru North (second tier), which never played a match this season, although a fans' club CPD Bangor 1876,  has been formed, following the involvement of Stephen Vaughan in the original club, Both clubs play in new separate grounds, right by the Menai Strait.

https://www.welshsoccerarchive.co.uk/index.php/welsh-premier-league-tables

Says everything!

Thanks for your information.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2021, 04:10:59 PM »

Yep, enjoyed Lancaster last time we played there in April 2018... great away win on way to title a few weeks later... the ground is virtually next door to the railway station, but my mates & i got there early and enjoyed several pints at nearby pubs before the game... great day!

A great city for a boozy day out - one of my favourites.

Near the prison too, I seem to remember someone escaped from it a few years back. And someone boycotted the Giant Axe social club! :) And Gary (God rest him) had business behind that new terrace one time... The best pile on we ever had was after a goal at Lancaster, those were the days!

I fancy an obscure club in Wales - have we ever been to Anglesey?

Yes, we had a weekend there once and played at Cemaes Bay, when they were much higher up the pyramid than they are now on the Saturday, which I attended. I didn't go to the Sunday match, which I think was at Glantraeth, or possibly we played CPD Glantraeth at Dyffryn/Valley.

27th July 1991: Cemaes Bay 1  Altrincham 3

28th July 1991: RAF Valley 1  Altrincham 6

The following weekend saw all hell break loose during a friendly against Stirling Albion at Moss Lane, when John King and Graham Heathcote resigned and some supporters registered their ire by protesting via a sit-in on the pitch.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 04:14:50 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2021, 04:58:08 PM »

27th July 1991: Cemaes Bay 1  Altrincham 3

28th July 1991: RAF Valley 1  Altrincham 6

The following weekend saw all hell break loose during a friendly against Stirling Albion at Moss Lane, when John King and Graham Heathcote resigned and some supporters registered their ire by protesting via a sit-in on the pitch.
[/quote]

I remember that but not understanding why there was so much fuss, 30 years ago ...what!!!!
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
Pre-Season fixtures confirmed...
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2021, 01:31:06 PM »

Pre-Season shaping up...

SatJuly24: AshtonUtd
TueJuly27: Nantwich
SatJuly31: Brightlingsea Regent FC (Essex)
TueAug3: ?
SatAug7: CurzonAshton
TueAug10: TraffordFC
SatAug14: Huddersfield B
TueAug17: ?

SatAug21: NEW SEASON...

Huddersfield B friendly added (August 14th)...

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/news/pre-season-fixture-huddersfield-town-b-v-altrincham

andrewflynn

« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2021, 01:41:45 PM »

With all due respect to our scheduled opposition, I do hope those remaining Tuesdays are going to be filled with the typical 'challenging' opponents.

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2021, 06:57:03 PM »

The above teams (bar Huddersfield) are the 'usual suspects' we play most pre-seasons... other two are maybe FcUnited or Man Utd Reserves... maybe FcUnited away could be one of two Tuesday games but doubt will play Man Utd as all pre-season are aways...

It would be good if one or both final friendlies could be against a BIGGER club than those already pencilled in...
Maybe a local-ish Footy Lge team eg Blackpool, Bolton, Wigan, Crewe, Blackburn, Preston, Rochdale, Tranmere, etc (anyone even bigger ie Prem/Champ club would be a bonus - especially an away trip)...

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2021, 08:16:30 PM »

Not sure about the "bar Huddersfield" bit. It's a repeat of last pre-season. Maybe it's going to become another tradition.

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2021, 10:43:21 PM »

According to the JL Alty Files website the newly added Huddersfield game will be the last pre-season game on Sat Aug 14th before the new season the following Sat (Aug 21st)... if this is true it means no game on Tues 17th and also will leave just one pre-season spot left for Tues Aug 3rd...

Pre-Season Confirmed Games...

SatJuly24: AshtonUtd
TueJuly27: Nantwich
SatJuly31: Brightlingsea Regent FC (Essex)
TueAug3: ?
SatAug7: CurzonAshton
TueAug10: TraffordFC
SatAug14: Huddersfield B

SatAug21: NEW SEASON...

NB if only one more game to be added lets hope it's a BIG one!

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2021, 08:32:41 AM »

I'd hope for a crewe or even York away.  At the moment the level of opposition is very week compared to our level
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2021, 09:12:34 AM »

I'd hope for a crewe or even York away.  At the moment the level of opposition is very week compared to our level

I assume it's to do with not being able to play home friendlies because of the pitch works - generally friendlies are played at the ground of the lower ranked team, so that's why we're playing NLN/Evostik opponents. I imagine trying to arrange a friendly at, say, a L2 side's ground is not easy. Agree though that it would be good to play at least one of the stronger NLN sides eg Chester.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 09:52:25 AM by Leon »

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2021, 10:32:38 AM »

I assume it's to do with not being able to play home friendlies because of the pitch works - generally friendlies are played at the ground of the lower ranked team, so that's why we're playing NLN/Evostik opponents. I imagine trying to arrange a friendly at, say, a L2 side's ground is not easy. Agree though that it would be good to play at least one of the stronger NLN sides eg Chester.
agreed. As Toff Apple suggested York are lower ranking and a great place for a day out. I do note they’ve moved from Bootham Crescent to Huntington which is about 3.5 miles from the station which would require further research. Be a new ground to tick off though 😃
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 11:52:34 AM by rorysgrandad »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 1st Pre-Season fixture confirmed...