PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Sutton Match Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Sutton Match Thread  (Read 11452 times)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
Re: Sutton Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2021, 06:41:52 PM »

Totally embarrassing. We wouldn't have scored if they'd gone home at HT. I thought Reagan Ogle was half decent, and Ceesay worked hard, but nobody else emerged with an ounce of credit. Williams was particularly dire.

Is it just me, or has Mooney put on half a stone since he's been injured ?

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2021, 06:43:36 PM »

After falling asleep during last weeks game I'm glad I spent my streaming money on beer this week. Quids in  :)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2021, 06:50:03 PM »

Utterly outclassed from start to finish.

Hartlepool's 7-2 victory at Wealdstone earlier today appeared to have really fired up Sutton and they demonstrated that it is possible both to retain possession and then mix things up with a more direct approach when necessary.

Our current attacking threat is about as potent as David Cameron's repeated attempts at lobbying.

Three games without a goal now and the only one that we have scored in our last four fixtures comprised that fluky corner at Maidenhead.

The only hope is that such a mortifying capitulation will convince Parkinson that some of these players are simply not up to the required standard and prompt a rethink. Williams was particularly inept and I continue to be perplexed by all the hype from the club that greeted the signing of Piggott.

That victory at Torquay United seems like it happened a lifetime ago.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 06:57:28 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2021, 06:53:32 PM »

I try not to post straight away after a game if we've lost. Usually I've calmed down a bit by the morning.
Afraid it might be a little longer after that display. 🤔
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2021, 06:57:37 PM »

The only positives were; Ogle did well, Smith back in the squad.
When I saw the team, my heart sank. The midfield too pedestrian and the 'attack' absolutely non-existent. Sutton obviously saw that too, for they were at us from the off. It was too much for our defence, which simply buckled under the strain.

They were a very very good side, but we made them look like Brazil. Some of our players looked exactly what they are - a combination of Evostik/Conference North. I really hope that Williams and Piggott in particular, are not on 2-year contracts - that would be disastrous, as they are good, hardworking lads but several levels below the level we are playing at.

Finally, I've never had a go at the management, but to take more than an hour to make a change when you know your team are getting battered, is either just crap judgement, or plain stubborn.

RobskiRobin

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2021, 06:59:47 PM »

Six wins in twenty three games says it all really. We know our problems in front of the opposition goal but in all honesty we’ve been awful defensively as well.

We have far too much dead wood onboard who I’m pretty sure still have another year left on their deals. Unfortunately sentimentality doesn’t cut it at this level, it’s going to take a big shake up this summer if we’re to improve for next season.

VofD

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2021, 07:02:21 PM »

Utterly outclassed from start to finish.

Hartlepool's 7-2 victory at Wealdstone earlier today appeared to have really fired up Sutton and they demonstrated that it is possible both to retain possession and then mix things up with a more direct approach when necessary.

Our current attacking threat is about as potent as David Cameron's repeated attempts at lobbying.

Three games without a goal now and the only one that we have scored in our last four fixtures comprised that fluky corner at Maidenhead.

The only hope is that such a mortifying capitulation will convince Parkinson that some of these players are simply not up to the required standard and prompt a rethink. Williams was particularly inept and I continue to be perplexed by all the hype from the club that greeted the signing of Piggott.

That victory at Torquay United seems like it happened a lifetime ago.

We would be better off signing Lester Piggott.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2021, 07:39:43 PM »

With many payers contracted until the end of next season it will be difficult to  see how new players can be  brought in unless some  agree to have their contacts terminated.

Seth

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2021, 07:40:21 PM »

Thomas H

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2021, 07:45:43 PM »

Parkinson’s interview should be good unless he leaves it to Neil Sorvel.
What’s the point in getting a season ticket when his team put in performances like that against “Real” Sutton, a little effort and concentration would be the minimum to ask for.
That was as embarrassing as the 5 0 against Fylde.
If we have give up on the season that’s fair enough but we should be competing.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2021, 08:08:34 PM »

Even if we have given up on the season people are playing for their positions next season

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2021, 08:18:16 PM »

My personal theory is that we have been rumbelled. Apart from the lack of a cutting edge up front teams know we are going to play a passing game and so they apply the press. We aren't good enough to pass AND play at 100mph so we come unstuck. Consequently we stroke it backwards and sidewards across the back four. I'm not sure what the answer is.

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2021, 08:32:27 PM »

Our 35th league game and the first time we’ve looked outclassed. Two goal defeat our biggest reverse before today. An achievement tbh. No Smith, Kosylo, Hardy, Hampson or direction today. Damage wouldn’t have been so severe with lesser opposition but Sutton were ruthless and uncompromising. The fourth goal and the Richman/TT corner fiasco confirmed the plot had been lost as well as the game. We will have to perform much better to beat Barnet next week who are far inferior to Sutton. Fortunately, there is plenty of room for improvement.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2021, 08:38:20 PM »

Yes. We're no longer a surprise with all our games on stream to study.
With Kosylo, Smith, Hampson (perhaps Sutton or Zouma?) and a striker we've got a chance but not with today's set up unfortunately.

Having said all that, finishing where we are would be better than I thought after the first few games so I'm not too despondent.
Close season additions are going to be vital and critical though.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2021, 08:40:27 PM »

We have not become a bad team overnight. We actually drew at Sutton FFS. We have 10 players good enough to reach the NL play offs. What we don't have, is a number 9 or any squad depth. Hopefully, becoming hybrid will help address this.

Injuries have cost us dearly. Parky says that there will be less injuries next season. I trust the guy. You've got to, because he has achieved great things with our club.

What we need to do in the summer, is be ruthless. By my estimations, there are at least 8 players who need shipping out. It'll be tough. Some of these lads have been stalwarts to the club, but becoming hybrid changes things and if we are serious about challenging for the play offs we have to get ruthless I'm afraid.

Competing with ex-league clubs who stockpile players will be difficult, but the first half of the season proved that we can compete and the truth is, we are not a million miles away, perhaps only a couple of players.

Yes, I'd get Jordan back, organise a season long rehabilitation loan for Lundstram and get Zouma and Ogle on contracts. The bit part players and perennially injured will have to go.

I'm 100% sure that the club is in good hands and I can't wait for next season. COYR.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Sutton Match Thread