PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alty 2 V 1 Bury
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Alty 2 V 1 Bury  (Read 8073 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Alty 2 V 1 Bury
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 12:49:51 AM »

First impressions of the new faces:

Tinson and Lane: solid and steady but didn't have a great deal to do;

Sedgemore: very quiet game;

Berkeley: only played for the first 45 minutes and made little impression, to be honest;

Baguley: second half only but a decent showing - looks to have more promise than his brother!

Coo: major drawback - he's right-footed!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Foz

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 01:22:22 AM »

First impressions of the new faces:

Baguley: second half only but a decent showing - looks to have more promise than his brother!

yes, but he is as good as his brother at long range back passes!!!!

highwayman

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 05:55:22 AM »

I usually stand with the singing fans but as it was a friendly and there was no singing, I decided to go and stand on the halfway line for the game. It's amazing how much more of the game you see and hear!

Overall impression of the game was that it was a more than useful workout. It's a long pre-season and if we can steadily build on this performance we should be ready and raring to go in one month's time.

New signings:-

Darren - as an opponent we gave him so much stick out of respect, he was always going to be a quality signing despite his age. As a replacement for Bandy, he is a definite plus in my book - organising a brand new defence last night, commanding in the air and he never stops barking out the orders to all around him. The one negative is his lack of speed and when we get caught flat at the back we're in trouble.

Laney - I was impressed with Laney. Quietly got about his work and his experience at this level showed through. Again on the basis of "does his signing improve the team" then I would say he does - sorry Azza!

Sedge - the jury is out on Sedge. He looked OK but only time will tell if he is an improvement on Lewis - I suspect not but hope I am wrong.

Trialists:-

Pottsy - showed a keenness to impress for his 45 minutes. I think he is in danger of winning his place back in the squad.

Coo - he was OK but I suspect he is not the answer to our problems at left back (see below).

Berkeley - he worked hard in his 45 minutes and showed some good touches. Not an improvement on Super Joe - Matt will be warning the bench if he is offered terms by Cote.

Baguley - very much in the Bush/Eddie mould, Chris could be the "one to watch".

The Regulars

All of the re-signed players had a run out except Gary Scott and Val Owen (any news on either of these?).

I felt sorry for Pat as he was the last player to get on the pitch with 10 or so minutes to go. Is he destined for another season of cameo roles?

Observations on the Problems from last year

I believe Wazza is the solution to our left back problem. He is left footed, gives the side a good balance and has a superb engine to get up and down the pitch all game.

We must concentrate for 95 minutes. At 2-0 we were cruising to a comfortable win. Then, we switched off for a moment and wham, bang, thank you ,mam, Bury score and they are back in a game they had almost given up on.

When we play football on the ground, we are as good as anybody at this level. When the ball is launched upfront, because of our lack of height, we are just conceding possession and nullfiying all the good build up play. If we are unable to acquire a target man upfront, then it could be another tough season.

teasybeaver

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 08:32:26 AM »

I do think people should remember this is only the 1st pre-season friendly and even the 1st time most of them joined up as a team. But on whats been said i'd say the signs are good. We seem to have a few decent trialists knocking on the door which should be good.

Lets not forget the endless list of great trialists who turn out to be shockers, but none the less im glad everyone enjoyed the game, lucky swines!

Stockportalty

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 10:28:36 AM »

I was talking to one or two Bury fans after the match and they were suprised at how well we played, especially Joe O'Neill, who they were not too impressed with when he played for them, they were very surprised when I told them he was our player of the season. However, they didn't seem too impressed with their own teams performance. Lets hope we can build on what was a good first time out together for the lads.
 :)

altyf

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 12:21:08 AM »

All of the re-signed players had a run out except Gary Scott and Val Owen (any news on either of these?).
no idea about val, but scotty has just had his opp and the doctor says all will be well... ;D should be about 2-3 weeks till he can train.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alty 2 V 1 Bury