PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Chesterfield Away Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Chesterfield Away Match Thread  (Read 16265 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Chesterfield Away Match Thread
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2021, 07:05:18 PM »

Excerpt from the Derbyshire Times website:

Was it a penalty?

Yusifu Ceesay caused Chesterfield quite a few problems in the first half with his pace and trickery and he won a penalty when referee David Richardson decided that he had been brought down in the box by goalkeeper Smith. But the Spireites stopper dived to his right to keep out substitute Piggott’s spot-kick which some may say was justice. At best it looked like Smith might have brushed Ceesay’s ankles but there looked minimal contact. After the game James Rowe said that Altrincham manager Phil Parkinson agreed it was not a penalty. Thankfully it did not cost Town all three points.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 07:07:43 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2021, 07:14:58 PM »

I think we're being harsh on Andy White to be honest - he made a massive impact when he came on against Barnet, for example.

I'm sorry to say that all the fans of Byron Harrison's former employers can't be unanimously wrong.

We need to accept that - just like Fis, Jamie McDonald, Harrison etc - Piggott is a complete punt given his injuries. Same for Hardy.

No idea how feasible it is, however we should be moving heaven and earth to secure Dudley - apparently he's suffered in the past from not being given a fixed role, tell him he's our number 9 and ask him to crack on.

Agree with all of this

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2021, 11:37:23 PM »

Friend of mine is their forum moderator. Staunch supporter of 40 years home and away. He says they have signed 13 and team is unrecognisable from early season. He is expecting a comfortable win - so we need to turn up and do what we do best.....beat the odds on favourites

Friend was impressed with us as a team and thought we will do well this season. Praised Ceesay but was critical of a few including an ex-Spireite.

He asked me if anybody who attended the 97 Unibond final at Saltergate could recall the attendance ?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 11:39:12 PM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2021, 11:46:35 PM »

Friend of mine is their forum moderator. Staunch supporter of 40 years home and away. He says they have signed 13 and team is unrecognisable from early season. He is expecting a comfortable win - so we need to turn up and do what we do best.....beat the odds on favourites

Friend was impressed with us as a team and thought we will do well this season. Praised Ceesay but was critical of a few including an ex-Spireite.

He asked me if anybody who attended the 97 Unibond final at Saltergate could recall the attendance ?

I wonder who you mean! If I can read my own writing from 23 years ago, the crowd, actually in 1998, was 1540.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2021, 12:58:16 AM »

Thanks Sale
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2021, 09:37:24 AM »

I've got to say, from the photo Ceesay's legs look like they have crumpled under him. He's not in his natural stride is he?

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2021, 09:59:16 AM »

I've got to say, from the photo Ceesay's legs look like they have crumpled under him. He's not in his natural stride is he?

Whist its irrelevant, its good to discuss. Looks like keeper may have got the ball and the player, thus a penalty as awarded. The rest is frustrating history...

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2021, 04:09:01 PM »

Genuinely loving that we're dissecting performances after a narrow defeat away at Chesterfield and thinking about how we can turn it around when we're 10th in the conference.

Still can't quite believe where we are but in terms of the immediate last few games I think we have looked vulnerable from that clipped ball into the 6 yard box a few times this season. Possibly down to not getting close enough to the wingers as they advance into our final third. That coupled with missing the penalty and you're not going to get much at this level regardless of how good the performance was.

True, and I'm as guilty as most. We were going up a few weeks ago, and now we're going down (except we can't!)

If it wasn't for NLN players being available, I'd say sod the striker thing - I'd rather we gave it a proper go in the close season, rather than continuously try to stick a band aid on it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Chesterfield Away Match Thread