Dover
« on: February 14, 2021, 09:19:02 AM »

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Dover
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 10:26:44 AM »

I think its a disgrace,  i understand that we want our clubs to continue but Dover clearly had issues at the end of last year.  All this looks like to me is they know the vote will be to continue so they are trying to force a closure.  I guess we'll lose 3pts soon
Bernard Taylors barmy army

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 11:49:54 AM »

I'm not entirely sure they can just choose to furlough their staff, surely the furlough scheme is there for when businesses have been forced to close?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Freddie

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 11:59:01 AM »

They are this year's Canvey Island, Grays Athletic, Scarborough etc... we've seen it all before, sadly.

Covid will have made their situation much worse, but who knows how viable and solvent they would have been going forward anyway.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 12:03:06 PM »

If it goes to each of the three leagues voting on their own destiny, I don't understand why those clubs in the National who don't want to continue can't just have their results expunged and the rest play each other home and away to decide positions.
After all there will be no relegation and I would guess no more than half a dozen would choose to go with Dover's example.
We'd get the season done quicker too as, if six clubs did drop out, it would make a 32 match season.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Altyrocket

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 12:48:47 PM »

I'm not entirely sure they can just choose to furlough their staff, surely the furlough scheme is there for when businesses have been forced to close?
Chesterfield have furloughed some players.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 01:27:11 PM »

nothing wrong with grays,they were are biggest supporters when the forest green chairman got us relegated.grays chairman even offered to pay for a lawyer for us .
Harold

Freddie

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 02:51:39 PM »

Very true hsmith, but when aforementioned chairman got fed up and no longer wished to fund them, their model was no longer sustainable and they dropped out of the National Legaue and into obscurity. It looks to be a similar situation with Dover, they can't continue at this level it seems, with or without covid.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 04:49:40 PM »

If it goes to each of the three leagues voting on their own destiny, I don't understand why those clubs in the National who don't want to continue can't just have their results expunged and the rest play each other home and away to decide positions.
After all there will be no relegation and I would guess no more than half a dozen would choose to go with Dover's example.
We'd get the season done quicker too as, if six clubs did drop out, it would make a 32 match season.

I like this idea. Only the strong survive - and that includes us.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 07:00:47 PM »

Thinking further, if the teams who drop out want to be at this level next season, they should have to prove financial stability, otherwise clubs from the North/South division who can prove their viability get their places. Let's see how many want to "do a Dover" under those circumstances.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 07:18:39 PM »

Think that's a step too far to get adopted! 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 07:38:15 PM »

The only other club in our division I have heard suggesting similar to Dover are King's Lynn Town, who said they should be allowed to drop out if the league continues, but they haven't unilaterally decided to cease operations as Dover Athletic have done.

I like the idea of those clubs who want to continue being able to do so, while those who do not are allowed to suspend operations, with no other punishment apart from being liable for relegation - if several clubs decided to stop, it would be awkward to work out who should be relegated as the timing of suspension could be manipulated to get the best result on PPG.

There is an oddity at step 2 where most clubs in National South appear to want to play on, while the opposite is true in National North where even our "friends" at Chester in second place want to stop, probably because they were signing players on expensive contracts before their money man disappeared; however, if resolution 1 is passed, I read the vote as being over step 2 as a whole, not for each division to chose its own future.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2021, 08:03:55 PM »

nothing wrong with grays,they were are biggest supporters when the forest green chairman got us relegated.grays chairman even offered to pay for a lawyer for us .

Well remembered. They showed their true colours over that.

Altyrocket

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2021, 08:11:38 PM »

Chester cannot take loans, its in the rules of the club, therefore can only accept grants. Which they obviously did when the season started. Also they have players play for free (apparently).

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2021, 08:27:21 PM »

Chester cannot take loans, its in the rules of the club, therefore can only accept grants. Which they obviously did when the season started. Also they have players play for free (apparently).
True, I have heard that before, as well as some players playing for free. They were also prepared to accept Stuart Murphy's money before his attempted takeover during the first lockdown.

Back on the more general topic, grants are supposedly still available for clubs facing possible extinction.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Dover