News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 This Weather

Author Topic: This Weather  (Read 2259 times)

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
This Weather
« on: February 08, 2021, 08:33:28 PM »

Many of you know that I live in SW London these days but the constant freezing temperatures and snow we have had recently have reminded me of a funny story, no doubt told previously.
It was New Year's Day in I'd say 1977 or 78. We always played Macc home and away over Christmas, it was before the APL started.

We were away on Boxing Day, there was a bit of trouble after on the way out with some fighting. Mostly handbags but punches were thrown. One of the Macc protagonists was a lad of about 16, wearing a long black leather coat.

I met up with my mate as usual in the Bridge pub about 1.30 for a couple. About 2.30 in walked the Macc team, the game was off, while we were in the pub it had put about 4" of snow down.
I left to get the train home to Dane Rd but the snow had stopped them running. As I left the station I bumped into Mr long leather coat. In that way football fans have with shared camaraderie I offered to help him get home to Macclesfield.

We got the 263 or 264 together up to the bottom of Dane Rd at which point I advised him he needed to change buses to get to Manchester. I thoughtfully put him on the 222 to Partington, he was so grateful I almost felt guilty as I walked home to my parent's centrally heated house in Sale just 5 mins up the road.

Absolutely true story, still proud of it to this day.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: This Weather
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 08:35:27 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 This Weather