PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Torquay Match Thread
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Torquay Match Thread  (Read 30810 times)

andrewflynn

Re: Torquay Match Thread
« Reply #120 on: February 03, 2021, 11:09:23 AM »

So we had an indifferent start to the season because we were 'sulking?' Do you actually believe that?! Do you not think it's more to do with us getting used to a new league? Surely that seems more reasonable?

Up until Chesterfield, the lads didn't look confident or believe they wanted to play for each other. Or in Phil style.

If you asked the players, I don't think any of them would say that's true.

It's also very easy to gloss over the horrendous injury problems we had during that time, too, and attribute our success purely to dropping Tom Peers etc. Maybe we've just managed to get key players back playing consistently, and we've probably gelled more as a team?

Completely agree about Smith. Finding him has changed our season from relatively comfortable in the bottom half to talking about sneaking the play-offs, such are the fine margins of this league though, so it could all go pear shaped yet.

We all knew that reinforcements were needed, but I will quote you twelve weeks on because it's not right that you get to say I told you so, when plenty of fans were patient in waiting for those reinforcements to come all along - rather than being overly critical of the best manager we've had in decades.

Just my opinion, but all I'm getting at is that in future I think a bit more time and respect should be afforded of the players, management team and 'the club' to get it right. As evident in where we currently are and how we're playing.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 03, 2021, 11:27:04 AM »

Stats can be used to prove anything but there is one that is very impressive. I think that Alty have only conceded 2 goals in the last 20 minutes of games all season. Only Stockport at home resulted in points lost. Considering that more goals are scored in that period than any other it shows great mental strength, fitness and game management from a part time team.

I'll remember that next game when I'm getting worried about a late goal. :D
It's all my fault.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 03, 2021, 11:31:16 AM »

So we had an indifferent start to the season because we were 'sulking?' Do you actually believe that?! Do you not think it's more to do with us getting used to a new league? Surely that seems more reasonable?

Up until Chesterfield, the lads didn't look confident or believe they wanted to play for each other. Or in Phil style.

It's also very easy to gloss over the horrendous injury problems we had during that time, too, and attribute our success purely to dropping Tom Peers etc. Maybe we've just managed to get key players back playing consistently, and we've probably gelled more as a team?

Completely agree about Smith. Finding him has changed our season from relatively comfortable in the bottom half to talking about sneaking the play-offs, such are the fine margins of this league though, so it could all go pear shaped yet.

We all knew that reinforcements were needed, but I will quote you twelve weeks on because it's not right that you get to say I told you so, when plenty of fans were patient in waiting for those reinforcements to come all along - rather than being overly critical of the best manager we've had in decades.

Just my opinion, but all I'm getting at is that in future I think a bit more time and respect should be afforded of the players, management team and 'the club' to get it right. As evident in where we currently are and how we're playing.

Given the criticism my comments drew, I think I'm entitled to say I was proven correct - you'll find a lot of people who criticised me actually in the end agreed Peers not starting, and going out and signing players was proven correct.

I don't believe we "found our feet", we signed two footballer league midfielders, now 3 with Pig and didn't have to bring a reserve player on after 15 minutes.
It's all my fault.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2021, 11:36:06 AM »

The higher we go, the better the players we can sign, and this fits the style of football Phil wants to play.

That's what makes each step up exiciting.

It's all my fault.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 03, 2021, 11:55:03 AM »

Given the criticism my comments drew, I think I'm entitled to say I was proven correct - you'll find a lot of people who criticised me actually in the end agreed Peers not starting, and going out and signing players was proven correct.

I don't believe we "found our feet", we signed two footballer league midfielders, now 3 with Pig and didn't have to bring a reserve player on after 15 minutes.

If anyone has the right to say 'I told you so', it's those of us that appealed for calm and common sense after we'd just been knocked out of the Cup (to a good team and having not trained for a fortnight), when people were utterly losing their minds.

For me, we were competing in games - albeit probably showing the opposition a bit too much respect (not 'sulking' as you put it), I think once the lads realised they were a match for anyone then yes, of course things started kicking into gear.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 03, 2021, 11:57:46 AM »

I think the sulking refers to when we go behind, more than anything. Stockport, Torquay, Sutton we were losing and earnt 5 points from losing position.
It's all my fault.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2021, 01:47:03 PM »

Still, how good was Mooney before he got injured...wow
Bernard Taylors barmy army

VofD

« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2021, 01:50:48 PM »

What ever happened to that V of D character who used to post on here?  :P :P
I am still here.
What a great victory last night.

andrewflynn

« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2021, 02:46:22 PM »

Still, how good was Mooney before he got injured...wow

Superb. The competition on the wings is breeding some great performances.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2021, 08:22:18 PM »

It  might turn out to be not very long ago, but when was the last time Altrincham won away at top of the league?

Here's a possible contender:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjgRHEjeX4o

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2021, 08:29:17 PM »

What ever happened to that V of D character who used to post on here?  :P :P

He couldnt stand the positivity now  ::) ;)

Well, his boyhood team is certainly providing him with an overdose of negativity!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55820931

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2021, 06:20:08 PM »

Gary Johnson was the Kettering Town manager when they defeated us at Moss Lane in the opening game of the 1995/96 season.

I distinctly recall a certain Brian Flynn being rather uncomplimentary about Mister Johnson from his vantage point in the main stand on that particular afternoon.

http://altyfans.co.uk/Smileys/default/lipsrsealed.gif

I spoke to Mister Johnson about 90 minutes before the home game with Cheltenham in 2015 & asked him if he remembered his previous visit & was surprised by his reply which was "I can't remember coming here before".
When I told him that it was against Kettering in 1995/6 & that I remembered the game well, as I spent most of it haranguing him about his tactics from the back of the main stand, he was none the wiser, which really surprised me as it was the opening game of the season.
It was a consistent & prolonged verbal assault that drew a reaction on the day but clearly was forgotten very quickly. ;D
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 07:18:40 PM by Brian Flynn »

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2021, 07:43:53 PM »

Gary Johnson was the Kettering Town manager when they defeated us at Moss Lane in the opening game of the 1995/96 season.

I distinctly recall a certain Brian Flynn being rather uncomplimentary about Mister Johnson from his vantage point in the main stand on that particular afternoon.

I spoke to Mister Johnson about 90 minutes before the home game with Cheltenham in 2015 & asked him if he remembered his previous visit & was surprised by his reply which was "I can't remember coming here before".
When I told him that it was against Kettering in 1995/6 & that I remembered the game well, as I spent most of it haranguing him about his tactics from the back of the main stand, he was none the wiser, which really surprised me as it was the opening game of the season.
It was a consistent & prolonged verbal assault that drew a reaction on the day but clearly was forgotten very quickly. ;D

Fondly remembered by those of us who were fortunate enough to listen to your first-rate vituperative onslaught though.

However, it still lives in the shadow of you getting under Dave Pace's skin at the Butcher's Arms on this dark and infamous night:

http://www.lusaweb.co.uk/020305dn.htm

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2021, 09:35:51 PM »

It  might turn out to be not very long ago, but when was the last time Altrincham won away at top of the league?

Here's a possible contender:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjgRHEjeX4o

Thanks for that. I've never seen Aggborough before its redevelopment. That was the Alty team that dragged me back in just a few months later.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2021, 10:04:24 PM »

Fondly remembered by those of us who were fortunate enough to listen to your first-rate vituperative onslaught though.

However, it still lives in the shadow of you getting under Dave Pace's skin at the Butcher's Arms on this dark and infamous night:

http://www.lusaweb.co.uk/020305dn.htm

Was it Brian who commented on that evening in a subsequent programme?

Whatever it was he said, I suspect it was fair comment. That pitch rivalled the floodlights at Bishop Auckland, the hail storm against Kiddermminster and a certain tackle on Marcus Hallows as the worst thing I've ever seen watching Alty.

The ground was so bad that. I asked someone in the social club if that pitch we could see through the windows was the ground. He said no, it's the training pitch. I half believed him. And when we walked straight across the pitch at full time rather than squeezing along the narrow path behind the goal, it seemed a perfectly natural thing to do rather than a pitch invasion.

Incidentally, that's what used to happen to us when we had a few injuries, and it is a tremendous credit to Phil Parkinson that he could keep things ticking over with up to ten players out this season. (Wasn't Hancock out of the first few games?)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 10:16:24 PM by Hugh »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Torquay Match Thread