PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Torquay Match Thread
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Torquay Match Thread  (Read 30866 times)

b23

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
Re: Torquay Match Thread
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2021, 12:17:30 AM »

I love the way their manager couldn't  even say our name..do these "big clubs really underestimate us that mu h or are they not as good as they think they are?  He made excuses and gave e back handed compliments..poor show...

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2021, 01:08:51 AM »

Gary Johnson is that, who's achieved some fantastic things in football (though I'm not sure if he's come up against us very much over the years).

Perhaps like many managers with a winning mentality he is a bad loser? Plenty of managers I suspect who would still be fuming the next day.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2021, 01:14:15 AM »

He was manager of Cheltenham when Sam Heathcotes stoppage time goal on his debut saw us win 2-1. We then knocked his boy Led out of the FA Cup

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2021, 02:05:36 AM »

Gary Johnson was the Kettering Town manager when they defeated us at Moss Lane in the opening game of the 1995/96 season.

I distinctly recall a certain Brian Flynn being rather uncomplimentary about Mister Johnson from his vantage point in the main stand on that particular afternoon.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

andrewflynn

« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2021, 08:07:01 AM »

This is exactly why I was so incredibly disappointed in the first 8 weeks of the season.

We signed the CM we needed, but more importantly we started playing our brand of football.

A wonderful performance.

And why people called for patience  :)

Superb win. What a side this is.

We didn't need to be patient to drop Peers 👀

We u turned and started playing for football when Smith came, it was patience it was signing needed.

There’s more to it than dropping Tom Peers and I don’t believe football is 100% cause and effect, whereby you make a change or addition and that’s the one reason for the result. For me, the significant progress and success we’re seeing is more down to adaptation to the league and us beginning to believe in ourselves.

I say that because even in that first run of games we played good stuff at Notts County, Eastleigh, Hartlepool etc. The signs were always there that we were capable of competing at this level. We’ve looked outclassed once in 21 games, vs Solihull.

Sure, additions to the squad have helped that process. Alistair Smith has been a revelation. I’d say he’s turned a decent side into a good one. Hopefully the next time we have an uneasy run or start you’ll be more hesitant to jump on the manager’s back, as you were a few results away from calling him into question just a few months ago.

He more than deserved the time to find his reinforcements and keep instilling belief in the players. Here we are. We’re doing far better than I could ever have imagined (I just wanted to stay up this season) - let’s enjoy the ride.

Tepid. I hope Phill doesn't try and bother to pull the wool over fans eyes.

Poor all over the park. No striker incoming.

Relegation battle commences.

Silent but Ledley

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2021, 08:31:36 AM »

Their managers advice TO THEIR PLAYERS take a day off, stay in bed or walk around the bay if you want! Bet our lads are choking over that one! Some folk have to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SBL

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2021, 08:37:35 AM »

This is exactly why I was so incredibly disappointed in the first 8 weeks of the season.

We signed the CM we needed, but more importantly we started playing our brand of football.

A wonderful performance.

We u turned and started playing for football when Smith came, it was patience it was signing needed.

There’s more to it than dropping Tom Peers and I don’t believe football is 100% cause and effect, whereby you make a change or addition and that’s the one reason for the result. For me, the significant progress and success we’re seeing is more down to adaptation to the league and us beginning to believe in ourselves.

I say that because even in that first run of games we played good stuff at Notts County, Eastleigh, Hartlepool etc. The signs were always there that we were capable of competing at this level. We’ve looked outclassed once in 21 games, vs Solihull.

Sure, additions to the squad have helped that process. Alistair Smith has been a revelation. I’d say he’s turned a decent side into a good one. Hopefully the next time we have an uneasy run or start you’ll be more hesitant to jump on the manager’s back, as you were a few results away from calling him into question just a few months ago.

He more than deserved the time to find his reinforcements and keep instilling belief in the players. Here we are. We’re doing far better than I could ever have imagined (I just wanted to stay up this season) - let’s enjoy the ride.

Well said Andrew.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2021, 09:02:17 AM »

Apart from.being unable to name us that was an honest interview from his perspective. Focused on his team and it's weaknesses against us. Means nothing to me (though he really should be able to name the club he has spent days preparing his team to play).

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2021, 09:13:52 AM »

Well worth £9 last night, once we found our feet after 10 or so minutes we were the better team. No doubt difficult conditions to play in as well. Think they underestimated us, lack of respect by changing his line-up, brought the big guns on second half and they looked worse. To a man I thought we battled all over the park, snuffed them out second half and managed game well. Not sure why Moulty got a red, maybe dissent.

Thought Hanks took penalty superbly and Ryan's goal sublime. We should have had at least two more with Mooney hitting bar and the goal that was disallowed for??

Part time and to turn up after 6 hours on a coach and play as we did was tremendous effort by all in the squad, back room staff and directors. Cheered on by all of us at home watching or on RR.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 03, 2021, 09:43:04 AM »

Well worth £9 last night, once we found our feet after 10 or so minutes we were the better team. No doubt difficult conditions to play in as well. Think they underestimated us, lack of respect by changing his line-up, brought the big guns on second half and they looked worse. To a man I thought we battled all over the park, snuffed them out second half and managed game well. Not sure why Moulty got a red, maybe dissent.

Thought Hanks took penalty superbly and Ryan's goal sublime. We should have had at least two more with Mooney hitting bar and the goal that was disallowed for??

Part time and to turn up after 6 hours on a coach and play as we did was tremendous effort by all in the squad, back room staff and directors. Cheered on by all of us at home watching or on RR.

One thing that's been noted is that both teams were good in the first half, and poor in the second. I have no doubt in my mind that we positively contributed to the game being the way it was in the second half, a huge difference between Parky teams and Sinnott teams is the game management - we can turn games ugly, run down the clock, take the sting out, influence the ref and generally make things a nightmare for the opposition in a way we rarely used to. We've started Conferencing teams ourselves.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 03, 2021, 09:48:05 AM »

Superb effort against the league leaders. I thought the after match interview by the Alan Sugar lookalike was typical of a sore loser.

If his lads are looking jaded then God help them if they had to go to work this morning.

Anyway, 3 more points. No need to fear anyone in this league, just respect the opposition,

A sad day on the South Coast today

South Coast 1 North West 11

Onwards and Upwards. 😉

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 03, 2021, 10:21:25 AM »

A wonderful performance.

Football is about moments.

Last season, once the lads stopped sulking after conceding to Chester (Hampson mistake after 4 minutes), we had nothing to fear and kept the ball constantly moving.

Up until Chesterfield, the lads didn't look confident or believe they wanted to play for each other. Or in Phil style.

Chesterfield we went 1 nil down and kept passing through phases and it worked.

Moving Tom to the bench, statistically and aligned with the confidence of that performance, gave the players the belief to keep passing the ball.

My frustration through Phils tenure has been when we haven't stuck to that footballing style. Leamington, Matlock, Stockport (*5), Boston away.

Weve scored 15 goals from Midfielders and 5 from strikers, mainly because we've had to find a way, without those midfield goals, we'd be in trouble.

We also signed Smith, which was like signing 3 players as Moult was able to do his job, likewise Hancock could too. And not trying to force Tom to do 90 minutes.

Quote me 12 weeks later by all means, but I was right in Tom Peers shouldn't be starting, I was correct we needed reinforcement, and I was correct that this league was here for a good go at if we stopped sulking.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 10:25:10 AM by HashtagAlty »
It's all my fault.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 03, 2021, 10:32:06 AM »

Anyway, top performance. Hope Mooney is nothing serious. He looked like he'd be wound up for 6 hours on a coach. He was electric first 15.

Smith superb as always but MOTM Colclough who showed what he's here to do.
It's all my fault.

Birkonian

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 03, 2021, 11:00:37 AM »

Stats can be used to prove anything but there is one that is very impressive. I think that Alty have only conceded 2 goals in the last 20 minutes of games all season. Only Stockport at home resulted in points lost. Considering that more goals are scored in that period than any other it shows great mental strength, fitness and game management from a part time team.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 03, 2021, 11:02:16 AM »

jakes sending off if i remember rightly their goalie got booked
Harold
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Torquay Match Thread