PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Sorry Gaffer, the dog ate my kit!
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sorry Gaffer, the dog ate my kit!  (Read 7412 times)

Bear Town Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: December 20, 2020, 02:31:32 PM »

Given our rotten luck with injuries so far this season it got me thinking about past injuries and how being part time we will be more susceptible to some peculiar and perhaps comical non-footballing scrapes?

e.g. I can recall Chris Denham getting tile in his eye...ouch!

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
Re: Sorry Gaffer, the dog ate my kit!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 03:03:15 PM »

I remember in the late 70s winger John Vernon wasn't available for selection because he was "on holiday" which I thought was funny at the time

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 03:29:42 PM »

Stuart Coburn missed a game to go to his father's wedding, and regularly missed pre-season because he was on holiday.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 08:00:51 PM »

Surely, Paul Cain burning his feet due to him attempting to extinguish a chip pan fire by stamping on it (circa 1996) still takes some beating in this category? 
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 08:02:21 PM »

There must be a tale or two involving Andy Green.

Bear Town Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 08:42:15 PM »

Surely, Paul Cain burning his feet due to him attempting to extinguish a chip pan fire by stamping on it (circa 1996) still takes some beating in this category?

There must be more like this 😂.

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 08:46:04 PM »

Defensive legend Adie Hawes once drove to Colwyn Bay for our home match with them.
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 08:48:53 PM »

There must be more like this 😂.
Ryan Crowther had food poisoning for an entire month
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Bear Town Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2020, 09:10:33 PM »

Defensive legend Adie Hawes once drove to Colwyn Bay for our home match with them.

🤦‍♂️😂

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2020, 09:14:42 PM »

I rocked up at witton Albion instead of the vics. I had time enough to get to the drill field though.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2020, 10:07:13 PM »

I rocked up at witton Albion instead of the vics. I had time enough to get to the drill field though.

I once dragged my Dad all the way to Widnes for a league game against Runcorn only to realise it was off because they had a replay away somewhere in the Cup. Talking of Runcorn I headed off the Expressway for the floodlights down below, parked up and walked into what was a very smart factory sports facility. I couldn't understand why one of the teams was playing in blue and white stripes.

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2020, 10:34:06 PM »

I once dragged my Dad all the way to Widnes for a league game against Runcorn only to realise it was off because they had a replay away somewhere in the Cup. Talking of Runcorn I headed off the Expressway for the floodlights down below, parked up and walked into what was a very smart factory sports facility. I couldn't understand why one of the teams was playing in blue and white stripes.

Presumably the place where Runcorn Town now play? The remains of the old ground survive next to the current ground.
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2020, 10:46:24 PM »

That was runcorn vs Nuneaton I think in some cup or other at the Halton stadium. I made that mistake too! 😉 😂😂
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Hash

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2020, 11:13:06 PM »

There is the classic one of me,shakey/joe and big ev heading to welling away, went to welwyn garden city... broke down left the car there and my dad drove down and picked us up
FFS

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2020, 11:56:59 PM »

I can remember the whole team turning up late at Redbridge Forest in 1991, when they groundshared with Dagenham  prior to their merger. The coach driver followed the signs to Redbridge, asked where the football ground was, and was directed to West Ham United at the Boleyn Ground.
We still won 1-0, though. We seem to have gone off on a tangent from odd injuries.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team