PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Saturday Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Saturday Match Thread  (Read 10070 times)

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Saturday Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2020, 10:40:44 PM »

On the Dover fans site, they said we were passing it around like Brazil 🇧🇷 😂
Alan Brazil ?
bugger.I thought it was a complement 😱

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2020, 11:03:47 PM »

On the Dover fans site, they said we were passing it around like Brazil 🇧🇷 😂
Alan Brazil ?
bugger.I thought it was a complement 😱

Nuts!

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2020, 01:04:50 AM »

Very competent performance against a poor Dover side who didn't seem to fancy it in the first half. Glad to see we won't be the only club having problems with the pitch this season.

We need to be more of a threat up front though. The only shot on target was the goal.

Was really going to shift us up the table until King's Lynn and Weymouth got late winners.

I suppose they couldn't have switched it to the cricket pitch... :)

To be fair, it's  all about what we do at the end of the day, and we appear on course, at this early stage, for the 55-80 points that I would consider a decent return from the season - and after a few injuries too.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2020, 01:14:15 AM »

Fantastic team performance and we still tried to play football on a ploughed field. I’ve been to the crabble so many times and it’s typical we get the win today. Have we actually won there since Dover emerged around 93? Or whatever year it was? I remember a 2-2? I think I’ve only missed one game there and can’t actually remember a victory? Over to the stattos, I may be wrong as usual
Counterintuitively, we probably get a few more there than at one or two other places we visit. I went there in 99/00 when I was living in Germany (see the MLM) and Kevin Ellison scored. Another time we had Oasis on the supporters' coach going back. Ballers I think was a fan of Oasis before they were big, but I've no idea whether it was actually his tape.

"From Dover to Gateshead, you won't find a team like the Alty"
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 09:33:00 PM by Hugh »

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2020, 04:59:55 PM »

Fantastic team performance and we still tried to play football on a ploughed field. I’ve been to the crabble so many times and it’s typical we get the win today. Have we actually won there since Dover emerged around 93? Or whatever year it was? I remember a 2-2? I think I’ve only missed one game there and can’t actually remember a victory? Over to the stattos, I may be wrong as usual

Prior to yesterday, the last time that Alty had won at Dover comprised a 4-1 victory on Saturday, 13th April 1996.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2020, 05:34:09 PM »

Well ground out win, we played some really nice stuff on a sticky pitch with some firm passing and some great moves that culminated in the goal we scored.

Any team that does their research on us knows they need to press us high, which is where we struggle - letting us have the ball in our own half is great for us.

Fylde game (and one half of Notts) aside, I think we've defended really resolutely, which should be applauded.

Shame we can't go again next weekend, surely we can contact another team that are out of the Cup and scheduled to play us midweek at some point.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2020, 05:37:40 PM »

Prior to yesterday, the last time that Alty had won at Dover comprised a 4-1 victory on Saturday, 13th April 1996.

Featuring an Andy Green hat-trick. Cracking day, that.

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2020, 09:27:38 PM »

Very competent performance against a poor Dover side who didn't seem to fancy it in the first half. Glad to see we won't be the only club having problems with the pitch this season.

We need to be more of a threat up front though. The only shot on target was the goal.

Was really going to shift us up the table until King's Lynn and Weymouth got late winners.

I suppose they couldn't have switched it to the cricket pitch... :)

To be fair, it's  all about what we do at the end of the day, and we appear on course, at this early stage, for the 55-80 points that I would consider a decent return from the season - and after a few injuries too.
If we get 55 points and don’t go down (which would be somewhat unusual) that’d be ok. I was only thinking last week that if someone offered us 20th place I’d be loathe to accept even though we’d stay up. It’s just that I believe we are better than that. If it pans out we finish 20th so be it. If we get reasonable luck from now on with injuries, suspensions and run of the ball, I don’t think it’s unreasonable for us to get 70 odd points. I am biased but hopefully not deluded!

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2020, 09:36:37 PM »

Seems that there's plenty more bright young thingss at Crewe if we do have injuries!

70 points would be brilliant and represent real progress, our best finish since '95. I'd like to think we can, but don't want to put a jinx on it...

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
  • Technically now Lechlade Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2020, 09:44:09 PM »

55 is my target. Beat half the teams at home and draw the rest. Draw half away and lose the rest. 55 points.

On that basis we should be on 4 pts so far so nicely ahead of target

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2020, 08:21:15 AM »

55 is my target. Beat half the teams at home and draw the rest. Draw half away and lose the rest. 55 points.

That's a good way of looking at it - and 55 points in our first season back at this level is a reasonable target.

I'm reluctant to set any higher targets than that - remember when Sinnott said something daft like he wanted to score 20 more and concede 20 less - a 40 goal swing?!

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2020, 09:21:27 AM »

Why does it take so long to get a report up on the club website? This is the club's shop window. There should be something, however brief, there by the Sunday morning.

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2020, 12:17:12 PM »

That's a good way of looking at it - and 55 points in our first season back at this level is a reasonable target.

I'm reluctant to set any higher targets than that - remember when Sinnott said something daft like he wanted to score 20 more and concede 20 less - a 40 goal swing?!
Think the only way any manager is going to get a 40 goal swing from one season to another is to move club.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2020, 01:18:39 PM »

Think the only way any manager is going to get a 40 goal swing from one season to another is to move club.

Plenty of managers on the merry-go-round.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Saturday Match Thread