PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Macclesfield
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11

Author Topic: Macclesfield  (Read 36778 times)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Macclesfield
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2020, 09:56:51 AM »

We are not trying to create a rivalry with Chester, we are just beating them whenever we play them - FA Cup, Playoffs its all the same to us

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2020, 10:48:59 AM »

The Stockport non rivalry is probably as we don't have any idiots that im aware of who  would have a pop at them unlike Macc fans and they wont want a rivalry with a non league club.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 11:36:50 AM by Timperley The Best »

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2020, 10:52:59 AM »

Historical rival, should Macc sink, has to be Witton. I feel odd about that as they detested Vics as much as we did.

In the current era it should be County, but in my head and heart it's not. It's still the green and white sh*te!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2020, 12:10:53 PM »

We are not trying to create a rivalry with Chester, we are just beating them whenever we play them - FA Cup, Playoffs its all the same to us

We all know that. I was merely saying what Chester fans views are - mistaken though they may be as far as we're concerned.
They don't like us as we keep beating them but see us as a 'bogey team' (ie a smaller team who they inexplicably and continually fail to beat) rather than a rival
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2020, 12:39:15 PM »

Macc will always be our principal rivals, like Burnley and Halifax or indeed Glasgow Celtic and Rangers FC (Liquidated) reformed as RFC 2012 plc.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 12:43:46 PM by JTH »

AltyFan101

« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2020, 04:11:37 PM »

We all know that. I was merely saying what Chester fans views are - mistaken though they may be as far as we're concerned.
They don't like us as we keep beating them but see us as a 'bogey team' (ie a smaller team who they inexplicably and continually fail to beat) rather than a rival

Not so sure.  Although none of them would ever admit it, a lot of Chester fans definitely consider us as their secondary rivals behind Wrexham.  A mixture of always losing to us, playing each other so much, being relatively close by and also off-field events are the reasons.  Just take a look at our official Twitter page, whenever we concede a goal, no matter who it's against or whether it affects them, a handful of their fans are all over it.  Needless to say, every single Chester fan wanted us to lose to York and then Boston in the play-offs.  I hope we stay up next year and I even hope they come up because that fixture was the one that I have always looked forward to the most.  Still haven't gotten over the disappointment of the game in March being cancelled, would have been massive attendance!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2020, 04:17:03 PM »

Not so sure.  Although none of them would ever admit it, a lot of Chester fans definitely consider us as their secondary rivals behind Wrexham.  A mixture of always losing to us, playing each other so much, being relatively close by and also off-field events are the reasons.  Just take a look at our official Twitter page, whenever we concede a goal, no matter who it's against or whether it affects them, a handful of their fans are all over it.  Needless to say, every single Chester fan wanted us to lose to York and then Boston in the play-offs.  I hope we stay up next year and I even hope they come up because that fixture was the one that I have always looked forward to the most.  Still haven't gotten over the disappointment of the game in March being cancelled, would have been massive attendance!

Most Chester fans, especially those over 40, still consider Tranmere as their secondary rivals. They haven't played them much recently but that's never really been the case with us and Macclesfield either.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2020, 08:37:38 PM »

Well - I seem to remember SAFE, or whatever it was called at the time, made a donation to the old Chester City (sadly it didn't stop them going bust in the end)|. I just hope they stay out of similar financial problems in the future - perhaps it was for the best in the long run that Murphy left. I would also be glad to see them in the GMVC. Not enough northern clubs in it anyway, especially with Macc gone.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2020, 09:42:11 PM »

From 20 years living on the outskirts of Chester, I can assure you that the only rivalry they see is the one with Wrexham and it will always be that way. They consider us to be a 'part-time pub team' who are trying to create a rivalry with them.

And from experience I remember that to be quite a hostile one - up with Auchinleck Talbot v Cumnock!

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2020, 10:31:48 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Please don't.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2020, 11:32:06 PM »

Speaking of Scottish football, I see that Arbroath's 36-0 win against a team from my home town has been beaten by German team Sport Verein Holdenstedt II against local rivals Ripdorf. Apparently they fielded seven players and "socially distanced" throughout!

Arbroath's keeper wouldn't have had to worry too much about social distancing - I seem to remember he spent almost the entire match sat in his goal under an umbrella!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 12:13:08 AM by Hugh »

AltyFan101

« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2020, 11:36:10 PM »

Speaking of Scottish football, I see that Arbroath's 36-0 win against a team from my home town has been beaten by German team Sport Verein Holdenstedt against local rivals Ripdorf. Apparently they fielded seven players and "socially distanced" throughout!

Arbroath's keeper wouldn't have had to worry too much about social distancing - I seem to remember he spent almost the entire match sat in his goal under an umbrella!

Think it was in protest of the German FA not allowing the fixture to be cancelled or postponed despite there being a Covid case in the Holdenstedt team

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2020, 12:12:02 AM »

Holdenstedt came into contact with someone in a previous game who tested positive but their team tested negative (according to the BBC). However, Ripdorf said conditions were not safe. Anyhow, they seem to have made their point, and it puts our 6-1 win against local rivals Northwich into perspective!

I believe Bon Accord were a cricket team and entered the Scottish FA cup by mistake
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 12:19:38 AM by Hugh »

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2020, 12:12:10 AM »

Speaking of Scottish football, I see that Arbroath's 36-0 win against a team from my home town has been beaten by German team Sport Verein Holdenstedt against local rivals Ripdorf. Apparently they fielded seven players and "socially distanced" throughout!

Is Bon Accord an actual place or just  a football club form Aberdeen ?I have tried  looking it up.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 18, 2020, 12:17:08 AM »

There's a Bon Accord Centre in Aberdeen, but it's fairly central, and I'm not sure that it's an actual area as such( on people's address etc), unless in the sense of Piccadilly. Then again, the Broomwood never seems to appear on maps.

As I say, they seem to have been a football club by mistake, and I'm not sure there's still a football club of that name, I don't remember hearing of one anyway.

Incidentally, Ripdorf would have faced a "200" fine if they had not played - it seems that "teletext" (BBC red button thing), cranky as ever, still cannot do a "Euro" symbol!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 12:32:41 AM by Hugh »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Macclesfield