PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alty v Chester PLAYOFF MATCH THREAD
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Alty v Chester PLAYOFF MATCH THREAD  (Read 22401 times)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Alty v Chester PLAYOFF MATCH THREAD
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2020, 03:47:45 PM »

The way I see it, we're through unscathed regarding injuries / suspensions, and we've got 90 minutes in the tank too.

Not sure who was responsible for the criminal backpass that led to their first goal, but it gave them the confidence to go on and give us further problems.

We need to keep our heads better with fussy refs like that - Jordan's picked up a silly booking and what Harrop was playing at when he lashed out, I don't know.

Durrell doing what he does best and putting the ball in the net and not much else - whereas Mooney absolutely worked his socks off on the other side.

Looking forward to next week already - no matter what they thought watching on today, York will still be dreading playing us.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2020, 03:49:51 PM »

The guy from Chester was a disgrace. Did he not realise he was broadcasting to Chester fans and Alty fans? I can understand his annoyance at the penalty/red card but his commentary would have been a bit one-eyed if that was a purely Chester fans stream but for a neutral stream, it was appalling. Flynny showed him the way and demonstrated the patience of a saint.

On the game, I think we just looked way off match fitness/sharpness. Got away with that one.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2020, 03:50:41 PM »

I bet Flynny will have a headache working with that guy! Why do Alty always have to make things so difficult for us? It feels like a loss tbh. Probably because I can see York easily piercing our dreadful back line next week. Presumably James Jones is now not able to participate and where is Dens? We so badly needed his experience today.
We won somehow, but I'm not optimistic. All we can hope for is that York's lack of competitive game time impacts on them as much as it did us today.

I think dreadful is a bit harsh tbh - the first one was an individual error and the second one was a cracking cross.

We'd obviously be a bit better with Jones in there, but Toby won some important headers today and next week is our 'free hit' just like today was Chester's.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2020, 03:53:44 PM »

Not sure who was responsible for the criminal backpass that led to their first goal, but it gave them the confidence to go on and give us further problems.

I think that it was Jake Moult.

We did our utmost to throw that one away. Conceded possession far too regularly and gave away some stupid free kicks in dangerous areas.

Hannigan stood out for me.

I look forward avidly to the impending whingefest from the Chester management team.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2020, 03:57:03 PM »

I think that it was Jake Moult.

We did our utmost to throw that one away. Conceded possession far too regularly and gave away some stupid free kicks in dangerous areas.

Hannigan stood out for me.

I look forward avidly to the impending whingefest from the Chester management team.

It was indeed Moult, who I thought was poor today. The referee was a joke. Impressed with Mooney (apart from the missed chance). A lot of improvement needed at York.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2020, 03:57:50 PM »

The great advantage we have for the next game is a competitive game under our belts.

that man showler

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2020, 03:58:58 PM »

Well that made the old bum twitch a little Referee was appalling.Have to say no way what that a
 Penalty if that had gone against us I would have been gutted as are the Chester Fans.Work to be
 Done this week in training as that was far from convincing however we live to fight another day.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2020, 04:01:43 PM »

Mentality. That was the weakness in the second half. Two quick goals, playing ten, three nil up. There's an approach to that scenario that we failed to grasp. The good news is we survived, we'll learn so much from that second half for the rest of the playoffs.

Well done Alty. Roll on to Bootham Crescent for next 'last ever visit' there.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2020, 04:02:57 PM »

Too many subs for my liking
Jordon really needs to address his indiscipline we shouldn’t be subbing him on the grounds of him being sent off
We lost our potency when Durrell Hulme and Mooney went off
TT kicking was sh*t again
Anyway we’re through so mission accomplished.
Improvement needed for our trip to the foreign land (York)

jhcorbett

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2020, 04:06:01 PM »

2 poor rusty teams and a poor ref, poor stream that kept freezing but other than that we're through and that's the main thing.
Jake held his hands up for Chester's first goal. We we're far too sloppy giving the ball away easily a lot and that mistake was probably the worst example.
Thought the back line did relatively well overall, Hampson had a decent game.

Hopefully we'll be less rusty next week.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2020, 04:10:19 PM »

We won our first competitive match since March against a decent team. Whether we played well or not, the result is what's important at this stage. PP and the team will take that, they know they can play better and will see what did and didnt work. Let's celebrate a great win. We've got another game to look forward to now!

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2020, 04:15:30 PM »

That was the equivalent of a second pre-season friendly (assuming there was a game against Halifax), only it wasn't a friendly, so we had to expect rustiness and mistakes.

This is my take on the penalty. It was a tackle from behind. To clear the ball he had to take the player. Doesn't matter if he played the ball first.  Hence the penalty. It was denial of a clear goal scoring opportunity. Hence the sending off.

It's not about what you would like the laws to be, it's about what they are now.

Happy to be shown to be wrong by someone with a betting understanding of the laws than me.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2020, 04:34:35 PM »

We won our first competitive match since March against a decent team. Whether we played well or not, the result is what's important at this stage. PP and the team will take that, they know they can play better and will see what did and didnt work. Let's celebrate a great win. We've got another game to look forward to now!

👍

Wilmslow Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2020, 04:37:52 PM »

The guy from Chester was a disgrace. Did he not realise he was broadcasting to Chester fans and Alty fans? I can understand his annoyance at the penalty/red card but his commentary would have been a bit one-eyed if that was a purely Chester fans stream but for a neutral stream, it was appalling. Flynny showed him the way and demonstrated the patience of a saint.

On the game, I think we just looked way off match fitness/sharpness. Got away with that one.

I don't know about disgrace. I thought the commentary was pretty measured till the penalty and I think he could be forgiven for not being able to hide his frustration at what he saw as an unjust decision. Equally, it's not easy to stay rigidly neutral when your side's just pulled it back to 3-2 from 3-0 down with ten men. Flynny was impeccable throughout of course, and probably would have been more measured if it was the other way round but I don't blame the Chester guy for showing a bit of passion. I kind of enjoyed the good natured rivalry - and the insight that came from having fans from both sides doing the commentary. Wish I'd bought the full playoff pass now :D
Acton_Alty has now moved to Chiswick...Wilmslow!

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2020, 05:03:57 PM »

Brackley 1 Gateshead 1   HT
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alty v Chester PLAYOFF MATCH THREAD