PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Farsley Match Thread 2
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Farsley Match Thread 2  (Read 8819 times)

alty.fc

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Farsley Match Thread 2
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2019, 07:23:06 PM »

Bloody grey kit
Come on you red and white........

Is this it?

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2019, 08:16:30 PM »

Feel the criticism levelled here against the team's performance last night is rather harsh.  We must have had over 70% possession, most of which was spent in the oppo's half and I left the ground trying to fathom how on earth we hadn't won.  While we didn't create as many chances as our possession might suggest, we played some pacey, attractive football that on another day would have been rewarded.  I think that JJ would have made a big difference as it would have freed Hulme to cause havoc in the the area around the box.  As it was, Hulme had to track back too often, leaving no direct threat in front of goal.  Very disappointed that in the in space of two weeks we have exited all three cup competitions, however, it is what it is and we have to focus again on the league, setting the playoffs as our target.  Onwards......

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2019, 08:31:22 PM »

We have the lion's share of possession in most games we play, but we too often fail to make it count. Study the post match stats in the Premier and EFL, and just see how many winning teams have less ball than their opponents - and we have the same problem with teams who soak up our pressure and then take advantage of our inability to deal with set pieces.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2019, 08:34:00 PM »

I thought last night that White had taken over where JJ left off. We did have lots of possession but precision was lacking at times and Farsley made sure their area was always packed and there were too many bodies in the way a lot of the time.

My concern now is that we will still have last night's game in our legs on Saturday.

andrewflynn

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2019, 08:36:50 AM »

Feel the criticism levelled here against the team's performance last night is rather harsh.  We must have had over 70% possession, most of which was spent in the oppo's half and I left the ground trying to fathom how on earth we hadn't won.  While we didn't create as many chances as our possession might suggest, we played some pacey, attractive football that on another day would have been rewarded.  I think that JJ would have made a big difference as it would have freed Hulme to cause havoc in the the area around the box.  As it was, Hulme had to track back too often, leaving no direct threat in front of goal.  Very disappointed that in the in space of two weeks we have exited all three cup competitions, however, it is what it is and we have to focus again on the league, setting the playoffs as our target.  Onwards......

On the money for me, this.

We win that 4/5-1 on another evening. No way Hancock misses three chances like he did. Mullarkey's free header. Wall an inch away from a ball across the face of goal, and so on.

I know we love a moan at Alty but I've seen comments comparing the game to the Neil Young era. Absolutely absurd that is.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2019, 09:17:21 AM »

Plus there were some very strange results around the Trophy that night. I'd rather take league games as an indicator of form, and until we get a consistent run of those we don't really know where this team is.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2019, 09:32:04 AM »

If league games are the indicator, our last such fixture was a 2-0 defeat by the bottom club. We all know how good this team is capable of being, but right now they're some way below that. Some of you need to take off your rose-tinted glasses.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2019, 11:32:44 AM »

Without Ceesay and Johnson we lack pace and creativity going forward couple this with an Achilles heel at defending corners its all uphill.

As decent as Wall and Walker are they wouldn't start before Johnson or Ceesay.
Full time and proud of it

andrewflynn

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2019, 03:09:55 PM »

If league games are the indicator, our last such fixture was a 2-0 defeat by the bottom club. We all know how good this team is capable of being, but right now they're some way below that. Some of you need to take off your rose-tinted glasses.

Last five league games:

Loss at 22nd
Win vs 9th
Win vs 13th
Draw at 1st
Draw at 10th

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2019, 06:46:58 PM »

The old adage is "you're only as good as your last game".

andrewflynn

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2020, 11:13:49 AM »

Is it still a rose-tinted outlook?

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2020, 12:40:23 PM »

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

10 from 12 points is nothing to be sniffed but we were in a relegation fight on 19th December having lost to bottom of the league and out of 3 cup games.

I always felt that we were going to climb the table at some point and then could talk about playoffs. now we can.

It's all my fault.

andrewflynn

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2020, 01:19:12 PM »

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

10 from 12 points is nothing to be sniffed but we were in a relegation fight on 19th December having lost to bottom of the league and out of 3 cup games.

I always felt that we were going to climb the table at some point and then could talk about playoffs. now we can.

There's no hindsight about it? I've maintained that we were never in a relegation battle at all. The criticism after the Farsley replay was incredibly harsh but that's the Alty way. It's not rose-tinted to have a bit of faith in the quality of your players, especially with how many chances we created that night. It was encouraging and you could see that we were nearly there.

At Bradford we were a side coming out of a long, cup-dominated run of games. We were looking to regain the momentum that was always going to be lost when you haven't had a consistent run of league games.

We were ten unbeaten before Portsmouth including wins at York and a draw at Kings Lynn - and that run came off the back of a dreadful performance at Kidderminster. I can't say I'm massively surprised that we're now six unbeaten (90 mins) after the utterly dreadful performance at Bradford Park Avenue. Always going to be a momentum side under Parkinson, just really happy to see us (hopefully) building some again.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Farsley Match Thread 2