News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Portsmouth Pubs

Author Topic: Portsmouth Pubs  (Read 5249 times)

The Red Baron

Portsmouth Pubs
« on: November 29, 2019, 10:16:37 AM »

Apologies if I have missed another thread on this.

Anyone know the best area for pubs/bars in Portsmouth before the game?

I'm hoping to be in Portsmouth around Midday so I'd like to take in some pre-game atmosphere  :)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Portsmouth Pubs
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 10:33:30 AM »

Plenty in the GBG I think the good companion is the designated away pub

https://www.visitportsmouth.co.uk/food-and-drink/the-good-companion-p285171

Number 23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 11:32:37 AM »

If you are arriving by car and come in via the Eastern Road (A2030) then The Good Companion is reasonably convenient if you can park near it. 5 mins walk to the ground. They do food and beer was ok last time I used it. Atmosphere should be ok if the Alty fans gather there. It's not a pub I would go to for any other reason.

If you are coming by train it's a bit of a trek - probably 15 mins walk from Fratton station on the the opposite side of Fratton Park. There are a few 'football pubs' on the side streets to the south of the station but they are the ones normally used by home fans. I wouldn't expect any trouble if you went there but you might get a comment or two especially if you are in red and white stripes (not a popular strip in Pompey).

I'm a local - I'll be walking to the match - but I'm in the away end and I'll be wearing my Alty shirt and would like to meet up with the travelling fans so it would good to know where people are thinking of going before the game.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 11:54:52 AM »

Pub wise i imagine some will wish to stay on the train to Portsmouth & Southsea and then gradually work their way towards Fratton-that’s certainly our plan and there a lot of cracking pubs in the city centre to kick off with. The Brewhouse & Kitchen a short stroll from P&S station and opens at 11 so think we’ll start there.

Think tomorrow (for a change for me certainly) we will also be looking to get in the ground a at least 20-30 mins before kick off and drink it all in.

Birkonian

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 12:18:44 PM »

Good Companion is Greene King with plastic glasses. Artillery Arms PO4 8HB is nearest GBG. Sir Loin of Beef PO4 9NH had excellent beer. Can't understand why it has lost its place in the guide. The Staggeringly Good brewery has a craft taproom just behind the away end.

Pompey Paul

• Youth Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 12:22:35 PM »

If you are coming by train it's a bit of a trek - probably 15 mins walk from Fratton station on the the opposite side of Fratton Park. There are a few 'football pubs' on the side streets to the south of the station but they are the ones normally used by home fans. I wouldn't expect any trouble if you went there but you might get a comment or two especially if you are in red and white stripes (not a popular strip in Pompey).

If we'd been switched on we could have given them "Not a Scummer" safety vests to wear over that shirt until they got to the ground. :)

Number 23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 12:25:35 PM »

Pub wise i imagine some will wish to stay on the train to Portsmouth & Southsea and then gradually work their way towards Fratton-that’s certainly our plan and there a lot of cracking pubs in the city centre to kick off with. The Brewhouse & Kitchen a short stroll from P&S station and opens at 11 so think we’ll start there.

Think tomorrow (for a change for me certainly) we will also be looking to get in the ground a at least 20-30 mins before kick off and drink it all in.

Good choice. They have a micro-brewery and have some very nice ales. Food is ok too. The Guildhall Village is ok too - directly over the road from the Brewhouse.
There are plenty of other drinking places around there too - a Wetherspoons facing into the Guildhall square and 'The Dockyard' is a new sports bar.

There aren't many pubs on the direct route from there to Fratton Park but there are plenty if you divert towards Southsea.

wellingboroughALTY

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 12:40:12 PM »

We were looking at heading south of the ground for pre-match drinks after starting in the Still and West early down near the docks, Leopold Tavern, Lawrence Arms, Golden Eagle, Nell Gwynne.

If these will be tricky for away fans though then may have to look at alternatives.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 01:50:55 PM »

Good choice. They have a micro-brewery and have some very nice ales. Food is ok too. The Guildhall Village is ok too - directly over the road from the Brewhouse.
There are plenty of other drinking places around there too - a Wetherspoons facing into the Guildhall square and 'The Dockyard' is a new sports bar.

There aren't many pubs on the direct route from there to Fratton Park but there are plenty if you divert towards Southsea.

That’s the plan. There’s a decent looking cluster of pubs in that part about a mile south of the ground around the bottom of Lawerence Road.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2019, 02:03:22 PM »

The Lawrence is very good and that area of side streets has a lot of decent pubs. A bit further along the main road to The Sir Loin of Beef but it is a great pub, quirky, full of odd junk and usually has at least 4 decent ales on. The Phoenix is also very good. The Leopold Tavern used to be fantastic (nine non-mainstream cask ales) but the Pubco did the usual and priced the landlord out and I believe it is rather ordinary now but does have tellies for live sport.
Wouldn't recommend the spoons near Fratton Park (John Jacques) before the game, will have door staff, probably rammed with home fans.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Number 23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2019, 05:37:09 PM »

The Lawrence is very good and that area of side streets has a lot of decent pubs. A bit further along the main road to The Sir Loin of Beef but it is a great pub, quirky, full of odd junk and usually has at least 4 decent ales on. The Phoenix is also very good. The Leopold Tavern used to be fantastic (nine non-mainstream cask ales) but the Pubco did the usual and priced the landlord out and I believe it is rather ordinary now but does have tellies for live sport.
Wouldn't recommend the spoons near Fratton Park (John Jacques) before the game, will have door staff, probably rammed with home fans.

I can recommend The Lawrence. 50 yards from my house!

Jenga

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2019, 06:06:37 PM »

Sod that, we are coming to your house, get the Stellas in the fridge please.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2019, 06:34:00 PM »

I have been in touch with someone who supports Portsmouth, although he doesn't live in the area now, and similar to posts from SW and Birkonian, he recommends the Lawrence Arms (though not Numbet 23's house :)), the Phoenix and the Sir Loin of Beef, which are all a "brisk 15 minute walk" from the ground.
The Artillery Arms is near the away end, as is the Staggeringly Good Brewery, but both are small and liable to get packed.
If you are on the coach, and just want a beer near the ground, he suggests the Rutland Arms, though you would be drinking from plastic glasses.

Dave Acton Jnr

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2019, 07:05:36 PM »

As I'm reading above there are many more knowledgeable people regarding the pub scene in pompey than myself ,but the mini bus im on and the one following us not to far behind are landing in the "good companion " pub around 12.30ish.... and I believe it's around 5-7minutes walk from the ground ....any one wishing to take in some pre game atmosphere get in there with us !!!! More robins in one pub the better ... Come on alty !!!!

The Red Baron

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2019, 07:38:35 PM »

Thanks for the info everyone, I'll be driving and heading to my airbnb in Southsea then work my way to nearer the ground from there.

Helpful to know that some decent pubs near there and will aim for the Good Companion before kick off.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Portsmouth Pubs