PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Southport - Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Southport - Match Thread  (Read 16804 times)

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Southport - Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2019, 11:10:46 AM »

Didn’t go yesterday but utterly delighted and pleasantly surprised. I actually also saw the Robins win in the cup as I went to see Carshalton Athletic shock Dagenham & Redbridge 2-1 at their very well appointed Colston Avenue ground. I’d take a Robins vs Robins tie certainly. If it’s away at a FL side at least somewhere that is a good day out-Cambridge, Bristol Rovers, Rochdale all spring to mind.

Matt Taylor

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2019, 12:33:34 PM »

After racing out the blocks in the first few mins, I thought we struggled for periods in the first half to stop giving away the silly free kicks that Southport were clearly playing for, and our passing game was stifled a bit by the high line Southport held out of possession whenever Thompson had the ball.
But Southport were appalling thankfully, we looked rock solid at the back against their balls into the box, and then we were absolutely clinical when the half-chance did come. The 2nd goal after half time killed the game and I thought we managed out the last 35 minutes very well. To the extent that I thought their consolation at the end flattered them a bit.

Solid at the back, take your chances when they do come, then manage out the game. Pretty much a textbook away performance that.

And has Tom Peers stopped running yet? What a shift!
If his ability matched his endeavour he would be some player.

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2019, 01:40:48 PM »

......... I thought we struggled for periods in the first half to stop giving away the silly free kicks that Southport were clearly playing for......

I agree, but don’t you think that was largely due to yet another incompetent referee? Whilst we should be used to such incompetence at this level I thought this referee exhibited that talent which is thankfully rare - that of bias toward the home team. Time and again we were punished wrongly yet Southport got away unpunished after committing the same alleged indiscretions.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2019, 04:05:21 PM »

Whilst the ref was bobbins some of the free kicks he awarded were fouls. No doubt Scouseport invited the fouls as that was their best route to a goal, but we really shouldn't be giving away cheap free kicks in dangerous areas.
Full time and proud of it

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2019, 04:22:27 PM »

I thought the wider pitch helped us. We were a lot more mobile than most of the Southport team. I was glad to see there wasn't loads of passing it backwards and forwards across the back row. We definitely make a better job of things when we go all out for the win.
More of the same next week please.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2019, 04:51:43 PM »

I was interested to see Stockport at York steadfastly avoiding passing the ball back to the goalkeeper, even when under severe pressure. We do take too many chances passing it back.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2019, 04:55:40 PM »

Footage of the goals from the Southport FA Cup tie:

https://southportfc.net/goals-southport-1-altrincham-3/
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2019, 05:12:21 PM »

I was interested to see Stockport at York steadfastly avoiding passing the ball back to the goalkeeper, even when under severe pressure. We do take too many chances passing it back.

As Stockport lost perhaps they should beat the press and retained possession

roytonmike

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2019, 05:15:41 PM »

I thought the wider pitch helped us. We were a lot more mobile than most of the Southport team. I was glad to see there wasn't loads of passing it backwards and forwards across the back row. We definitely make a better job of things when we go all out for the win.
More of the same next week please.
Interesting that they'd actually brought the pitch in a couple of yards each side - presumably to give our wide players less room for manoeuvre. About as successful as anything else they tried yesterday!
Looking ahead, I'd take the bye - some free money & no need to re-arrange another league game - but failing that, for purely selfish personal reasons, I'd like Oldham Pathetic away. To be realistic, anybody at home would do (it's about time we got one!) but we'll probably end up with somewhere unspeakable in the far south.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2019, 05:40:30 PM »

As Stockport lost perhaps they should beat the press and retained possession

The examples I'm thinking of the defenders took responsibility for clearing the ball themselves rather than put their goalkeeper under pressure. And unless i'm mistaken the goals they conceded were not caused by poorly struck back passes or being caught in possession.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2019, 05:49:01 PM »

I love John Laidlar's splendid description of this rather bizarre and ludicrous incident involving the towering Ryan Astles late in yesterday's game: 

"Four added minutes were decreed which started with a Port freekick conceded by Johnston on the front edge of the Altrincham box.

The edifice that is Ryan Astles stood menacingly directly in front of Thompson to block his vision as he attempted to line up his defensive wall. Such charmless behaviour proved pointless as the keeper saved the resulting freekick."
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2019, 09:17:14 AM »

Wonder if Neil Sorvell ran his shooting drill on Thursday night?

Two shots from Jordan and a first time shot from Peers (followed up by a rebound)....

Madness that we had shots and scored! ;D
It's all my fault.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2019, 01:18:07 PM »

Plenty of noise from the away end caught on video

Birkonian

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2019, 06:39:30 PM »

That is the way the defenders are instructed to play by Phil Parkinson. Launch it long as a last resort.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2019, 07:55:09 PM »

That is the way the defenders are instructed to play by Phil Parkinson. Launch it long as a last resort.

And long may it continue
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Southport - Match Thread