PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Trafford Match Thread
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Trafford Match Thread  (Read 7223 times)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Trafford Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2019, 08:28:14 AM »

I don't know much about Mullarkey... what's the verdict then? Does he start on Saturday?

I'm glad Peers still knows where the net is - whilst he doesn't have as much of an all-round game, he's the closest thing we've got to Hancock - so I guess he starts too?

andrewflynn

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2019, 08:37:45 AM »

Pre-season, early days and all that but Mullarkey looks absolutely mustard. Physically imposing, made plenty of key tackles and importantly for us he had absolutely no problem carrying the ball forward, often skipping past their #10 in the process. He could be a huge player for us. That being said I do believe the #4 shirt is Jones' for the time being given his performances alongside TH towards the end of last season. I expect us to start with Jones and Hannigan but Mullarkey will definitely be given a chance and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him take it.

I'm saying this without confirmation on whether he's staying so if he does, and he proves me wrong, then happy days. He wouldn't be the first player to do so and he certainly wouldn't be the last. Clearly got a lot about him as his goal scoring record is decent.

That was me on Chadwick in May, and I must say he's definitely proved me wrong with regards to his fitness. People won't like to hear it but he's had a stronger pre-season than JJ and for me, I think it's a toss up between them two for who starts on the right flank. He was our most creative outlet both last night and in the game against Blackpool. One of the stand out performers in July as far as I'm concerned and I'd have him over Walters all day.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2019, 09:58:18 AM »

Pre-season, early days and all that but Mullarkey looks absolutely mustard. Physically imposing, made plenty of key tackles and importantly for us he had absolutely no problem carrying the ball forward, often skipping past their #10 in the process. He could be a huge player for us. That being said I do believe the #4 shirt is Jones' for the time being given his performances alongside TH towards the end of last season. I expect us to start with Jones and Hannigan but Mullarkey will definitely be given a chance and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him take it.

I'm saying this without confirmation on whether he's staying so if he does, and he proves me wrong, then happy days. He wouldn't be the first player to do so and he certainly wouldn't be the last. Clearly got a lot about him as his goal scoring record is decent.

That was me on Chadwick in May, and I must say he's definitely proved me wrong with regards to his fitness. People won't like to hear it but he's had a stronger pre-season than JJ and for me, I think it's a toss up between them two for who starts on the right flank. He was our most creative outlet both last night and in the game against Blackpool. One of the stand out performers in July as far as I'm concerned and I'd have him over Walters all day.

Fair play to Chadwick and sounds like he has worked hard on his fitness. Is he managing to track back?  Still would always start JJ, yes he needs a better season in regards to distribution and shouldn't be anywhere near corners or free kicks but when JJ is on fire he is unstoppable.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2019, 10:34:33 AM »

Chadwick tracked back, and still looked full of running after playing the full 90. He's worth starting for the quality of his corner kicks. I'd play him on the right with JJ on the left.

dunhamalty

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2019, 10:47:48 AM »

Mullarkey has looked class so far, reads the game well and very comfortable on the ball.
Him and TH could form a formidable partnership.

Walters or Chadwick is a toss of the coin for me but nice problems to have.

Squad looks in great shape with 15/16 players who could all be in the starting 11.

I’m really looking forward to seeing how Branson does in the league. He looks like a beast, decent on the ball and not scared of a tackle.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2019, 11:34:13 AM »

I agree with all the postings above. All the notes re Chadwick and Walters depend on if we eventually sign them. I hope we do as both have a lot to offer. First choice though on both wings for me has to be JJ and Nathan. I would be happier though to see both Chadwick and Walters on the subs bench and leave them to challenge for a place. As far as Toby is concerned, I don't mind who starts out of James Jones or Toby Mullarkey. Either one or the other, but Toby has some really exciting qualities going forward and also starting off moves. We now also have in Conor Branson a midfielder who will boss the game and will not shirk a challenge, and is a much greater physical presence.

The funny thing is we are missing Josh Hancock, Jake and possibly Simon Richman from the start of the season; but none of us are too worried because of our full squad strength. What worries me is when we have the full squad fit, some very good players may not even get on the bench. I think this may be worrying Phil/Neil, but over the course of a full season with injuries and suspensions we will need all of them at some stage. I have a feeling Phil is going to leave it until Thursday before making the final decision on our full squad.

Either way from the above, I can't wait until Saturday as I think it is going to be some game. Bring it on!

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2019, 01:03:46 PM »

I agree with the posts above, I think we made an energetic Trafford team look ordinary, something we've struggled to do in recent seasons. I'd be surprised if we sign Chadwick and Walters. But maybe on non-contract terms initially.

Jezza

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2019, 03:12:30 PM »

Love us to sign both but would go for chadwick if we can only afford one.

Sentiment may have to go out of the window if we want that little bit extra quality to win a league and I would play mullarkey ahead of jones...branson may keep Jake's place when jake is fit and JJ may have to improve to keep his place over chadwick who has worked bloody hard and takes a better corner.
All will get a chance including Peers who would have played about half last season while Jordan was serving silly suspensions....
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Trafford Match Thread