PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 This is excellent
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: This is excellent  (Read 5580 times)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: This is excellent
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 02:35:53 PM »

The Macclesfield Cheshire Senior Cup tie was played on the Monday, 48 hours before our visit to Brisbane Road.Our equaliser was a brilliant curling shot from ???????

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 03:00:17 PM »

I remember the Macc scorer was Birtles (og)...but without driving home and checking the programme in  my garage I can't remember who scored for Alty.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2007, 05:07:06 PM »

Here's the match report from The Altrincham Guardian:

Makeshift Robins Held

Macclesfield Town...1   Altrincham...1

An "experimental" Altrincham line-up was held to a draw in the first round of the Cheshire Senior Cup at Macclesfield on Monday night, after Phil Wilson had levelled the score with a superb equaliser.

The former Runcorn star crashed the ball in from well outside the area with a shot which bent round ex-Robins keeper Mike Sherlock in the 51st minute.

The shot cancelled out an own goal by Birtles only sixty seconds earlier, when the young back four player deflected a shot by Paul Marsden.

But the makeshift Robins side could well have gone on to win the tie in the final half hour.

Brian LeBoutillier sent Jeff Johnson's brother Craig** through with only the keeper to beat but he shot over from close range. And then in the final minute, LeBoutillier missed a golden opportunity to clinch the tie when he had only Sherlock to beat but saw his shot well saved.

Goalkeeper Billy Phillips became the first American to play in the Senior Cup and Ivan Crossley had a fine game in defence for the Robins.

But the good news for Robins was that striker Jeff Johnson, sent off in Saturday's cup tie against Orient, served his automatic one match ban, which meant he was eligible for the replay at Brisbane Road last night (Wednesday).

Altrincham team:
1. Billy Phillips
2. Ivan Crossley
3. Mickey Brooke
4. Steve Birtles
5. Graham Tobin
6. Dave Kelly   
7. Graham Heathcote
8. Phil Wilson
9. Brian LeBoutillier
10. Stan Pearson
11. Craig Johnson.
Sub: Steve Thompson (for Heathcote in 30th minute)

** Is this correct? Was Craig Johnson another of Jeff Johnson's brothers?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2007, 06:20:48 PM »

I can see it now...curling around 3 or 4 Macc defenders and inside the far post.If I remember correctly Wilson two other goals for Alty against Crewe in the FA Cup & Nuneaton in the Alliance (Alex Stepney's debut).

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2007, 11:11:10 AM »

I didn't know that criag johnson was jeff's brother - this means that three brothers from the johnson fasmily played for us - Steve johnson also played a couple (at least 1 - away Morecambe) of games for us at the end of the 78-79 season.

The programme for the macc game says "We must apologise for the confusion caused regarding the date of this game.  At 5pm on saturday Altrincham requested this game be played despite their replay with orient on wednesday and we have tried to fall i with their wisjhes despite the very obvious difficulty in obtaining sufficient publicity to counteract the announcement that the game would be played next week ...the result is more important to us than to our visitors we look forward to our progress to the next round@

Attendance: 755
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 This is excellent