News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Enfield

Author Topic: Enfield  (Read 2368 times)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Enfield
« on: June 22, 2007, 11:40:33 AM »

Sad to see the demise of Enfield earlier on this week.  I believe that their team of 85-6 was one of the best non league teams ever.  I saw them win 7-1 at Barnet in the FA Cup 4th qualifying round, they stuffed us 4-1 at Moss Lane and therefore our two leg victory over them in the Trophy semi final that year ranks for me as amongst our greatest cup exploits.

But it's not strictly a demise - some fans disgusted with the way the club was being run (Chairman allegedly sold ground, pocketed money etc), set up their own team several years ago - Enfield Town.  Enfield Town started at the bottom of the pyramid and have worked their way up really slowly.  And last year both Enfield teams found themselves in the Isthmian League Division One, after having first played each other in the vase the previous season.  Enfield Town finished the season in the playoffs whereas Enfield finished mid table.  The crunch Derby matches attracted a crown of 550 at Enfield Town and 250 at Enfield - I suspect a boycott for the latter match.

So Enfield is dead, long live Enfield Town.

tiggeralty

Re: Enfield
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 11:56:53 AM »

My wife was very upset as she was born and brought up in Enfield,  she was in st john ambulance in the 80/90s and attended every match. We saw a cup match at Enfield a few years ago on a bitterly cold afternoon, or I watched the match while she chatted to her friends who she had't seen for some years. In fact, she commented on the fact that our goalie was a bit loud, I told her that he had to shout to make himself heard. She helped one or two of our players while with St Johns and said they were all very nice.

baldrick

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 11:24:56 PM »

They are not dead. They have been relegated to the Essex senior league. A bit odd as Enfield is in Hertfordshire.http://www.enfieldfc.co.uk/

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 11:18:21 AM »

My first ever Alty game was Altrincham v Enfield at Moss Lane 4th April 1988 (My 9th Birthday) so I always remember them for helping me get hooked.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 06:19:04 PM »

My first ever Alty game was Altrincham v Enfield at Moss Lane 4th April 1988 (My 9th Birthday) so I always remember them for helping me get hooked.

5-1 ?? 4 goals from Ronneeeeeeeee Ellis??

:) :)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 09:47:10 PM »

Easter Monday, 1988...

It was an ideal time to play Enfield, as they were playing Barrow in the FA Trophy semi-final legs either side of this fixture and, therefore, they played a weakened team at Moss Lane.

Just think, had they named their first choice XI and beaten Alty 1-0 with a stuffy 89th minute goal, a disheartened and disillusioned young Gary Warrington may have trudged home disconsolately and never set foot in Moss Lane again....!     
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 04:09:35 AM »

Scarily that's how it works. My Dad was/is a dyed in the wool MU fan but he took me to Alty in 1970, and we beat Vics 8-1, I think it was.I never looked back. The old man tried to convert me and took me to OT several times but I didn't have the same feelings for it.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Enfield