PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Witton Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Witton Match Thread  (Read 20155 times)

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Witton Match Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2018, 05:38:24 PM »

Most of you are magnanimous in defeat yesterday. I thought it was a great advert for non-league football on a very wet New Years Day & credit to the referee for getting through the 90-odd minutes. I don't fancy the groundstaff's job now though.

I thought we wanted it more - too many of your star players didn't fancy it (were Poole & Hancock playing?) whereas in the glorious sunshine back in August you played us off the park. Goes to show that you've got to compete whatever the weather.

Nice to be able to go to an original ground, have a thousand speccies in, great atmosphere, no aggro (oh yes, you have you own topic on that) & a great game + from my perspective a good result.

You might be playing in a "tinpot league" but you'll only get out of it if you show up. Workington, Shaw Lane & Grantham will look at your result yesterday & fancy their chances.

GE

Your team clearly adapted to the conditions better than ours and scored three excellent goals, albeit the winner from an uncharacteristic defensive mistake on our part. For us to concede as many goals in 90 mins as we've done in the preceding 16 games points to an exceptional afternoon - I don't think it's sour grapes to say it owed at least as much to the atrocious conditions as it did to your team. For our part I think we have to accept that the brand of passing football our team play which currently sees us with the best attack, the best defence and the most points, means we perhaps don't have the best personnel for the paddy field that was the Moss Lane pitch yesterday. Your team did, so again congratulations. As for the chasing pack, I'll back our team against anyone on a football pitch and there'll be many more of those between now and April as opposed to what we saw yesterday.

Alty wanderer

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2018, 12:51:06 PM »

Alty have the best squad in the league. Admirer of Parkinson for the way he always sets his team up to play football.
Hoping it's not his  downfall - Nantwich were great to watch last season, top at Christmas but fell away badly. Between Jan and march physicality and route one replaces skill. The teams that can adapt best usually come strong. The pitches get worse and the fixture backlog created by postponements doesn't give any recovery time. Dodgy pitches to start with and part time ground staff.
Still think Alty have too much for the other teams in terms of depth but it is a concern.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2018, 04:20:29 PM »

The highlights are on Youtube. The pitch looks a lot better than it actually was in reality.

G E

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2018, 04:29:39 PM »

You should have the best squad in the league - you allegedly also have the best budget???
GE

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2018, 06:15:15 PM »

You should have the best squad in the league - you allegedly also have the best budget???
GE

Agreed.
Despite being relegated two seasons running from the Conference National (having finished mid table the season before) we still generate the largest home crowds in the division and despite not being a 'bankrolled' club, I still expect that we will have a very competitive playing budget as a result.

Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

bighairedmike

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2018, 07:58:50 PM »

GE

Agreed.
Despite being relegated two seasons running from the Conference National (having finished mid table the season before) we still generate the largest home crowds in the division and despite not being a 'bankrolled' club, I still expect that we will have a very competitive playing budget as a result.

There’s no “I expect” really Mick. The club have already informed us they have overspent to get us out of this league st the first attempt,  (And rightly so in my eyes.) This makes it even more imperative that we do win promotion as champions. To not do so would be the clubs biggest ever failure and, given the last 2 and a half years, thats a pretty spectacular thing to even contemplate.

Matt Taylor

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2018, 09:50:18 PM »

GE

"Allegedly"?

We are (debt-free) Altrincham FC playing in the Evo-Stik League. If we didn't have the best squad in the league, and the best budget, it would be an absolute outrage.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2018, 10:01:07 PM »

I can't see our budget being bigger than Shaw Lane or Warrington to name but 2
Full time and proud of it

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2018, 10:28:49 PM »

"Allegedly"?

We are (debt-free) Altrincham FC playing in the Evo-Stik League. If we didn't have the best squad in the league, and the best budget, it would be an absolute outrage.

This comment could be OTT.  If you are comparing us on the basis of club size/gates and normal income maybe,....but bankrolled clubs dont qualify !
Also,... Stourbridge have slightly higher home gates than us too and recently got a lot of FA cup money.
Shaw Lane are bankrolled for sure, not aware of any others though at present.

Matt Taylor

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2018, 10:46:53 PM »

I doubt very much we’ve risked emptying the piggy bank to be outspent by the likes of Warrington and Shaw Lane. Even if they do have a local businessman putting a few quid in, neither of them have anywhere near the same financial clout as other recent Evo-Stik winners.

And squad-wise, we are miles ahead of both of them.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2018, 11:16:14 PM »

Some interesting sensible opinions / valid points following GE's best budget post..............without knowing the money being spent at Shaw Lane etc, I guess we can only speculate on budgets. Squad quality is also subjective, but the facts are we have the most points, have scored the most goals and conceded the fewest goals. We should fear no team.

Matt's point is something we should be thankful for this season. There is no Fylde or Fleetwood type club paying L2 wages. Hence this just has to be the season to win this league
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2018, 11:27:46 PM »

Warrington Town supporters at the last match at Cantilever Park were telling me that they believed they, funded by a local company, had the biggest budget in the league, but that Carden was wasting it by employing mates and relations.
However, one of them thought that Paul Carden was employing his son and not his brother, Adam, which  reminds to take any such statements with.a pinch of salt, and just evidence of bravado or people trying to show their secret knowledge. I have no secret, or probably any other, knowledge, but I would be surprised if we don't have the biggest budget.

Alty wanderer

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2018, 09:44:39 AM »

Tough league to escape from. This is the season to do it.
Last 3 years stourbridge and Workington have hit top form as the pitches deteriorate, a definite pattern. This year they are too far behind in my opinion as they were last year - stourbridge have lost some quality players and the Workington squad is far too small this year despite having quality, struggling to put 3 subs out on occasions.
Been watching the brilliant documentary on Salford city. How did hulme end up joining Alty? Thought he had signed a full time contract. Is the real deal at this level. Poole though doesn't seem to be the player he was.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Witton Match Thread