PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stalybridge Celtic (A) - Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Stalybridge Celtic (A) - Match Thread  (Read 14310 times)

Mausoleum Alty

Re: Stalybridge Celtic (A) - Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2017, 06:30:23 PM »

Agreed. Stlybridge are poor and although any point away from home is good I feel this is two points dropped.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2017, 06:48:08 PM »

Today was the old Alty problem of letting poor opposition drag us down to their level. If we'd taken that gilt edged chance straight from the kick off it might have made a difference. We were far the better side, yet I just knew we wouldn't score.

On the credit side, a fourth consecutive clean sheet isn't to be sneezed at....and I thought Tom Hannigan was outstanding today.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2017, 06:51:11 PM »

Today was the old Alty problem of letting poor opposition drag us down to their level. If we'd taken that gilt edged chance straight from the kick off it might have made a difference. We were far the better side, yet I just knew we wouldn't score.

On the credit side, a fourth consecutive clean sheet isn't to be sneezed at....and I thought Tom Hannigan was outstanding today.
Hannigan was MOTM. Immense today.

dunhamalty

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2017, 07:06:36 PM »

Annoying result today but at least we didn't lose and seem to have developed a strong foundation to build from. I tend to agree that Dens and Short should be our first choice full backs. Every time I have seen Bembo-Leto he has looked like he has a mistake in him.
Good to see  Hannigan playing well. If he stays fit he will be an asset to us this season.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2017, 07:33:34 PM »

The conditions were awful. If the pitch had been in the state it was at 4-45 at 3-00 it may not have been played.

If Hancock scores the sitter inside the 1st minute we probably score 6.

Aside from Hulme, Harrison and Hannigan (the new tripleH) no one came out with many positives.

I'd have put Harrop on instead of Amiss.

2 points dropped, yes but another clean sheet.

Full time and proud of it

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2017, 07:56:59 PM »

A largely dreadful and forgettable game. The only real point of significance was overhearing a conversation about Sean Miller scoring a hat trick for the reserves.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2017, 09:43:05 PM »

A largely dreadful and forgettable game. The only real point of significance was overhearing a conversation about Sean Miller scoring a hat trick for the reserves.
Sadly counted for nothing as the game was abandoned. No match ball, insufficient game time.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2017, 08:15:47 AM »

The best positive about this game was the clean sheet, and also the news re Sean Miller getting a hat-trick. I too thought Hannigan played well in that game. I also felt Stalybridge dished out some nasty fouls and I was worried about Hannigan in that sending off. He has had much game time now and is showing us the asset he has become. Sean Miller must be now more or less ready to come back, wonder if he will be sub on Tuesday? Worth a punt Phil!

There are days we will have when a home side digs in with their defence and plays for a draw. Felt Stalybridge played ok in defence, but were unambitious. Any team that celebrates a 0-0 draw the way they did proves my point. That said, we have come a long way from last season and now teams are trying to find ways of stemming the flow of football from us. Makes a change from being laughed at. I was disappointed we didn't win but there again, there will be times when nothing we do seems right. We just had a slight off day but then again did not concede. The 4 games we haven't conceded was the best since 2003 apparently according to the website.

You win some, you lose some; we just need to keep our focus right, and concentrate on winning games and our finishing, rather than being in a situation where we know before a game what to do, then our form deserts us. Two teams always want to get a result, and this was a Derby. We have had worse results at Bower Fold; but bear in mind the conditions also made it difficult. We are still fifth!

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2017, 08:36:25 AM »

You win some you lose some ... you draw some ;)
ParkINson's red and white army

cornishrobin

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2017, 02:18:16 PM »

Last year we would have lost this sort of match

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2017, 02:20:29 PM »

didnt we lose everygame last season ? 😂😂
ParkINson's red and white army

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2017, 02:32:36 PM »

We won at Stalybridge last year......

Jezza

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2017, 12:18:20 PM »

There seems to be two types of opposition and match we will face in this league.

The farsley's hednesford's wittons where teams want to play us at football and don't press that much which we seem to be able to dominate and finish these teams of very clinically..

And the Matlock's Granthams and Stalybridge who look poor but press and press and don't give the alty players time on the ball at all forcing us to repeatedly give the ball away sometimes very cheaply....these matches tend to be a toss up...we could have beaten matlock, should have beaten Stalybridge and should have lost to grantham.

An early goal is crucial but we are struggling against these organised sides and PP needs a plan B I think as these games will define wether we win the league...no good beating witton and then losing to matlock or Workington etc (I accept Workington were by all accounts a decent outfit).

Really was frustrating watching (for example) Richman chase for 30 yards and win a difficult challenge in the celtic half only for the ball to be given away cheaply seconds later and we were under pressure needlessly when we should have been having the attack...

Thought Hannigan and Harrison were outstanding Saturday and Thompson had a good game too....

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2017, 03:45:39 PM »

There seems to be two types of opposition and match we will face in this league.

The farsley's hednesford's wittons where teams want to play us at football and don't press that much which we seem to be able to dominate and finish these teams of very clinically..

And the Matlock's Granthams and Stalybridge who look poor but press and press and don't give the alty players time on the ball at all forcing us to repeatedly give the ball away sometimes very cheaply....these matches tend to be a toss up...we could have beaten matlock, should have beaten Stalybridge and should have lost to grantham.

An early goal is crucial but we are struggling against these organised sides and PP needs a plan B I think as these games will define wether we win the league...no good beating witton and then losing to matlock or Workington etc (I accept Workington were by all accounts a decent outfit).

Really was frustrating watching (for example) Richman chase for 30 yards and win a difficult challenge in the celtic half only for the ball to be given away cheaply seconds later and we were under pressure needlessly when we should have been having the attack...

Thought Hannigan and Harrison were outstanding Saturday and Thompson had a good game too....

Excellent post sums it up perfectly for me.  I too think we are good quality most of the time it really does depend on the opposition and putting away that one early chance
Bernard Taylors barmy army
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stalybridge Celtic (A) - Match Thread