News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Conference playoffs

Author Topic: Conference playoffs  (Read 1825 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Conference playoffs
« on: May 15, 2017, 08:27:20 PM »

Not that it will involve us for a while, however at this weekends AGM there is a proposal being discussed to extend the conference premier/north & south playoffs from four to six team, using the  following format in one legged ties

Qualifier
4th v 7th
5th v 6th

Semi
2nd v 4th/7th
3rd v 5th/6th

Final
Wembley for the conf prem &

Highest placed club v other semi winner in north & south

I bet they vote for it, why would any club vote against more playoff places

taxi Phil

Re: Conference playoffs
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 08:45:05 PM »

By 2030 all the top 16 will be involved. Why bother having a league ?  I'm old school....three up, three down (or maybe  four when the Nortb/South divide kicks in). Despite us having twice won playoffs from 5th place, I don't broadly favour the idea.

And no, I'm not a closet Tranmere fan !

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 08:58:48 PM »

It does open the conference out a bit I suppose if this had been in place over the last ten years. I bet Kidderminster will be voting for it!

Stevenage
Histon

Kidderminster
Oxford

Kettering
Crawley

Kidderminster
Darlington

Kidderminster
Southport

Hereford
Luton

Braintree
Kidderminster

Macclesfield
Woking

Tranmere
Eastleigh

Dover
Barrow

roytonmike

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 09:19:23 PM »

By 2030 all the top 16 will be involved. Why bother having a league?  I'm old school....three up, three down (or maybe  four when the Nortb/South divide kicks in). Despite us having twice won playoffs from 5th place, I don't broadly favour the idea.
And no, I'm not a closet Tranmere fan !
Couldn't agree more. Next step the Rugby League format - top 8 playoff, middle 8 playoff, playoff for anyone not yet involved in a playoff - sorry, it sounds a bit too much like the old Northern Premier League Cups scenario, but there we go. This year's farce has a club that didn't even meet the original criteria for a play-off place (Chorley) almost going up into Conf Nat & the club that finished second in Conf Nat not getting its just deserts - mind you, since that does mean we're rid of Dale Vince for a while at least maybe it's a blessing in disguise. The only real footballing justification for a playoff (other than the statistical freak of identical playing records) is if you have three promotion places & only two feeder leagues (which was the case in the first season of Conf North & South) - all the other scenarios are money-making exercises above all else.
Incidentally, anybody else noticed the nauseating stuff on Radio 4 news about the village club that's been promoted to the big league? I didn't listen to the report - the way it was trailed made me sick enough. Mr. Vince must be rubbing his hands at that sort of publicity ...     

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 09:32:32 PM »

That's the way it is now, and forest green join the long list of clubs to fly past us. It's a falsehood but money can buy you that. We must also remember in our heyday we weren't shy of flashing the cash so I suppose it's sort of relative. I like playoffs for the fact they extend the season for so many clubs, but I would like to see the original format returned where clubs at the bottom of one league playoff against a side near the top of the league below   
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Conference playoffs