PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Damian Reeves
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Damian Reeves  (Read 19654 times)

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
Re: Damian Reeves
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 01:32:37 PM »

Top player.
Wish him well in whatever he does next.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 01:47:45 PM »

Stats speak for themselves, a club legend.

andrewflynn

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 01:50:47 PM »

By my calculations he is the second highest scorer of all time behind Jackie Swindells.  There is some doubt because we dont know all the scorers in the post war seasons when Walter Jones was knocking them in.

I think it looks like this:

Swindells 263
Reeves 166
Jeff Johnson 147
Graham Heathcote 147
Walter Jones 147

Amazingly Damien scored more than 100 Conference North goals for the club.  The second highest scorer is James Lawrie with 31 and then James Walshaw with 28
He also scored 10 FA Cup goals, behind only Jack Swindells on 15 in my life time; although Tabener did score 9 cup goals in 63-4
He matched Colin Littles 6 in the FA trophy, although this was way behind the mighty five Rogers, Johnson, Howard, Heathcote and Davison who all scored in double figures
His 41 in the Conference National is comparable with Graham Heathcote, Jeff Johnson, Barry Howard. John Rogers, Ken McKenna and Stuart Terry  although a long way behind Colin Little's 70

And his single goal in the FA Cup proper - to oust Barnsley - is one of those moments that will linger.

I am so glad I saw him roll back the years with a typical Reevsie finish against Kidderminster recently.  A true Alty legend

Just getting the stats together with view to a graphic going out on social media later. Any particular reason Jack Helme hasn't been mentioned? Thank you, by the way.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2017, 02:06:56 PM »

His stats are nowhere near what they could have been. The last two seasons have been a complete waste of time due to next to no service. Prior to that he was competing with Wally and then Kyle for the opportunity to play.

Graham Bennetts Perm

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2017, 02:11:46 PM »

Up there with Benno. Well, not quite as far up, but still up there.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2017, 02:12:57 PM »

My mistake re Jack Helme - he is 147 goals and Walter Jones 141.  And there are a lot of gaps in the scoring record with Jack

Teasierbeaver

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2017, 02:13:14 PM »

What a shame, it must have driven him mad sitting on the bench watching crap strikers get no chances because one clueless manager after another couldn't get our players creating them. This season may well have ended very differently had Miller stayed fit and one of our managers had the skill to have him forge a partnership feeding Reeves.

We'll never know because we blew it and threw him to the dogs in the process. Shameful.

Good luck Reevesy, Alty Legend!!!!!!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2017, 02:22:25 PM »

My mistake re Jack Helme - he is 147 goals and Walter Jones 141.  And there are a lot of gaps in the scoring record with Jack

After comparing/checking the records/statistics held by Terry Rowley and Mike Garnett, the following list of Alty's leading goalscorers (as at 02/05/2017) has been compiled.

Alas, this is still not the definitive list (for some of the reasons outlined below) but it's probably the best that can be achieved at present:

Jack Swindells: 265

Damian Reeves: 166

Graham Heathcote: 147

Jack Helme: 147 (this is a minimum, as there are around 40 missing goalscorers over the time that he played)

Walter Jones: 142

Jeff Johnson: 141

John Rogers: 133

Johnny Worth: 123

Colin Little: 114

Fred Birtles: 106 (there are seven goalscorers missing over the seasons that he played)

Stewart Littlewood: 105 (incomplete, as there are 12 goalscorers unknown during the three seasons that he played).

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

andrewflynn

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2017, 02:24:15 PM »

After comparing/checking the records/statistics held by Terry Rowley and Mike Garnett, the following list of Alty's leading goalscorers (as at 02/05/2017) has been compiled.

Alas, this is still not the definitive list (for some of the reasons outlined below) but it's probably the best that can be achieved at present:

Jack Swindells: 265

Damian Reeves: 166

Graham Heathcote: 147

Jack Helme: 147 (this is a minimum, as there are around 40 missing goalscorers over the time that he played)

Walter Jones: 142

Jeff Johnson: 141

John Rogers: 133

Johnny Worth: 123

Colin Little: 114

Fred Birtles: 106 (there are seven goalscorers missing over the seasons that he played)

Stewart Littlewood: 105 (incomplete, as there are 12 goalscorers unknown during the three seasons that he played).

Perfect, I'll run with that. Many thanks.

Jezza

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2017, 02:30:08 PM »

Great shame this is the end of an era.

Though often underrated by managers his stats speak volumes...not rated by the cote but he is out 2nd all time top scorer ahead of johnson rogers and..ahem...heathcote.

Scores when he wants....thank you for all the goals damian...you are secured in the hall of legends

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2017, 03:03:52 PM »

All the best Damian, you will always be very fondly remembered at Alty. Legend is a word overused but in your case it is spot on.
Best wishes for whatever you do in future  :)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2017, 03:11:06 PM »

I still find it amazing that every single manager he played under from Heathcote to Doughty and all in between dropped him at some point...

15 league goals when behind Twiss in the pecking order under McKenna shows the merit of the man

AFC56

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2017, 03:32:21 PM »

I still find it amazing that every single manager he played under from Heathcote to Doughty and all in between dropped him at some point...

15 league goals when behind Twiss in the pecking order under McKenna shows the merit of the man

There was a reason that he wasn't rated by every manager, like there was a reason that he never got picked up to play League football. His goalscoring record is superb, and at his best he was a fine fox in the box, but for me his all round contribution at times didn't relate to his scoring record. That said he was a excellent goalscorer for us and another player looking back with hindsight, that played his best football under Lee Sinnott (there are a few more like that).

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2017, 04:51:59 PM »

we should have started him more,i don't blame him for going,will be a big miss though
Harold

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2017, 05:40:09 PM »

Goodbye and good luck, I'd guess at Harrogate, Halifax or Guisley.  Some superb memories, even I have forgiven him for the sitter he missed vsFGR away when we could have stayed up
Bernard Taylors barmy army
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Damian Reeves