PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Thanks for trying Matt...
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Thanks for trying Matt...  (Read 9814 times)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks for trying Matt...
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2017, 09:28:48 PM »

The galvanisation of the squad is a myth, still terrible.  fresh start, fresh eyes needed

I agree entirely.

Does this squad galvanisation involve saying things like I'm not being funny but the Damian Reeves of 4 years ago would've scored that?

I don't know Reeves well enough, he may be hard work or a poor trainer or something. Whatever frankly. What I do know is that he slapped in a 30 yarder after coming off the bench v Curzon and made a lovely run and finish v Chorley and a swivel and turn in the FA cup v whoever it was and a poachers goal v Harrogate.

So whatever deterioration he has had has been over the last 4 months not the last 4 years.

I'm not trying to open up a new debate but just to observe that whoever MD thinks has been galvanised aren't the right players.

I think getting balls into the six yard box for Reeves would've been a far more effective priority than trying to teach Cyrus to pass or convince Hannigan he's not injured

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2017, 09:31:42 PM »

No way should Matt be considered for the job, his record as assistant and manager is rubbish. I know he took over a really poor squad, low on confidence etc but he hasn't done enough to justify the job on a permanent basis. I would however, consider Robbie Lawton as the number 1.

Why? Doughty/Lawton has been dismal; just not good enough. If Doughty is nowhere near suitable then having Lawton in the running is barmy. Lawton's own record as assistant has been rubbish so if that counts against Doughty it should count against him too.

Fresh approach needed. A manager who is used to winning matches would be a start.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2017, 09:35:18 PM »

Agree with that too Bob

AFC56

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 09:38:12 PM »

No way should Matt be considered for the job, his record as assistant and manager is rubbish. I know he took over a really poor squad, low on confidence etc but he hasn't done enough to justify the job on a permanent basis. I would however, consider Robbie Lawton as the number 1.

Why? Doughty/Lawton has been dismal; just not good enough. If Doughty is nowhere near suitable then having Lawton in the running is barmy. Lawton's own record as assistant has been rubbish so if that counts against Doughty it should count against him too.

Fresh approach needed. A manager who is used to winning matches would be a start.

Just a feeling. I've been impressed with the way that Robbie has handled himself and spoken. I know that he wont be considered for the job without Matt, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him make a decent managerial career somewhere in the future.

Teasierbeaver

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2017, 07:36:20 AM »

Just a feeling. I've been impressed with the way that Robbie has handled himself and spoken. I know that he wont be considered for the job without Matt, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him make a decent managerial career somewhere in the future.

He can handle himself in an interview and says the right things. If that was all it took we'd be top of the league or still in the conference national.

We need a proven winner not another talker.

AFC56

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2017, 08:26:09 AM »

Fair play, we need results , just hope we find the right man. Jim, Matt and Neil Tolson were dreadful in interviews by the way. Lee was ok, Robbie is very good.

markecky2

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2017, 11:26:43 PM »

Wouldn't even be considered anywhere else with a record like that as Cult shows us.

Don't blame him for giving it a go at all and I don't doubt he had given his all under very trying circumstances with injuries etc.  However this whole brand new concept of not actually getting any points but applauding the fact that we used to be dead sh*t and he pushed us on to being quite sh*t is as odd as this season as a whole.

Coupled with the fact he personally told us that on day one when he came in to help Tolson out that he knew we'd go down (should have had a word with the chairman maybe?) or when as assistant to Clive Dunn he just put the cones out whilst Rome burned it doesn't bode well.

Thanks for sticking with it and there is nothing to say he won't make it somewhere else but not now and not here.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2017, 12:06:13 AM »

Wouldn't even be considered anywhere else with a record like that as Cult shows us.

Don't blame him for giving it a go at all and I don't doubt he had given his all under very trying circumstances with injuries etc.  However this whole brand new concept of not actually getting any points but applauding the fact that we used to be dead sh*t and he pushed us on to being quite sh*t is as odd as this season as a whole.

Coupled with the fact he personally told us that on day one when he came in to help Tolson out that he knew we'd go down (should have had a word with the chairman maybe?) or when as assistant to Clive Dunn he just put the cones out whilst Rome burned it doesn't bode well.

Thanks for sticking with it and there is nothing to say he won't make it somewhere else but not now and not here.

Spot on

Ginrail

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2017, 07:47:35 PM »

Matt is not a manager his performance has proved that!
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Thanks for trying Matt...