PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Skelmersdale United
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Skelmersdale United  (Read 6268 times)

taxi Phil

Skelmersdale United
« on: March 28, 2017, 11:45:26 PM »

See main site. The refusal of the owners of their ground to renew their lease could mean the death of the once respected club (FA Amateur Cup finalists many years ago for the benefit of younger readers).

It is, of course, mere coincidence that the owners are a property company.....

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Skelmersdale United
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 11:47:01 PM »

This is why you all should stop moaning about Grahame. He would never sell us to a property company he owns.
It's all my fault.

York Alty is back

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 11:49:14 PM »

I'm getting the word... Maunders.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 09:55:13 AM »

I know the groundsman through a friend. The club are also being investigated for corruption of attendance figures apparently - things are not great there! The owner also owns Burscough FC - both clubs are bottom of their respective leagues by a mile. Yes, I guess things could be worse for us.

GB Alty

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 09:58:13 AM »

I know the groundsman through a friend. The club are also being investigated for corruption of attendance figures apparently - things are not great there! The owner also owns Burscough FC - both clubs are bottom of their respective leagues by a mile. Yes, I guess things could be worse for us.
sounds exactly like us

Corruption of attendance figures, bottom of the league relegated by a mile

Spring

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 10:04:44 AM »

Apologies for my ignorance but can someone explain what the situation is with Moss Lane. Specifically who is it owned by and what are the terms of the lease?

I suspect there is nothing anyone could do to change this situation, including the board but I hadn't realised that the ground ownership was yet another potential factor in this unfortunate saga.

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 10:07:47 AM »

The ground is owned by Trafford Council and the club have just signed an 85 year lease, so it is one of the things that is positive at the club.

taxi Phil

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 10:20:12 AM »

The ground is owned by Trafford Council and the club have just signed an 85 year lease, so it is one of the things that is positive at the club.
Insert "few" before "things"......

Spring

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 10:41:14 AM »

Thanks a Rowley and Doughty out

Phew, a bit of good news, I feared the worst for a moment but at least the ground is secure.

beaker141

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 11:21:47 AM »

Phew, a bit of good news, I feared the worst for a moment but at least the ground is secure.

I dont know the details - but I'd assume its secure whilst we have Altrincham FC playing there - if that ceased then surely the council would take it back and then decide what to do with it !

nimeta

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 04:35:52 PM »

I dont know the details - but I'd assume its secure whilst we have Altrincham FC playing there - if that ceased then surely the council would take it back and then decide what to do with it !

the same council that is closing Hale Library and will charge to empty green bins later in this year. So we can guess how this scenario may end up.

but having the council own the land is a massive plus for us. Didn't Ken Bates do something similar when he sold Chelski to the Mob...put the ground in trust to prevent the club being wound up as a property development??

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 04:49:36 PM »

And yet it is Ashton Council that wants Stalybridge Celtic to move.

Nothing is sacred if it makes financial sense imho.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 04:52:28 PM »

the same council that is closing Hale Library and will charge to empty green bins later in this year. So we can guess how this scenario may end up.

but having the council own the land is a massive plus for us. Didn't Ken Bates do something similar when he sold Chelski to the Mob...put the ground in trust to prevent the club being wound up as a property development??

I think it's widely accepted that us not owning the land has secured our survival in that Moss Lane is a prime residential development plot. My understanding is in addition to the new 80 year lease with the Council, there is still a restrictive covenant placed on the site preventing it from being used for purposes other than sport or recreation. Of course such covenants can be reviewed and lease agreements set aside under Compulsory Purchase Orders (witness what nearly happened with the New Den a few months back). However, the Board and Chairman were rightly praised at the time for securing the lease extension beyond what I think was something like a 20 year term with rolling extension option. This both secured long term tenure but I think also allowed it to apply for the grant aid for ground improvements which has been referred to recently.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 05:05:51 PM »

We had plenty of connections with Skem back in the 1970s, so here's some nostalgia for the vintage Alty supporters on this forum.

The following photograph contains two subsequent (and excellent) Alty managers, in addition to six players who went on to join the Robins:

FA Amateur Cup winners Skelmersdale United at Wembley back in April 1971:

Eventual Alty right full back Stan Allan is featured on this image:

« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 05:09:36 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 05:19:56 PM »

We had plenty of connections with Skem back in the 1970s, so here's some nostalgia for the vintage Alty supporters on this forum.

The following photograph contains two subsequent (and excellent) Alty managers, in addition to six players who went on to join the Robins:

FA Amateur Cup winners Skelmersdale United at Wembley back in April 1971:

Eventual Alty right full back Stan Allan is featured on this image:

I remember having a copy of the 'Football Champions Annual' of 1971 which stated Ted Dickin scored a hat-trick in that game. He later eventually signed for us, if a movie was ever to be made of this short spell it might be entitled 'Hanchard - The Prequel'.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Skelmersdale United