News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 This weeks messenger

Author Topic: This weeks messenger  (Read 2672 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
This weeks messenger
« on: March 23, 2017, 01:23:31 PM »

Weirdly it's covering the men's first team. It says we are trying to sign Elliott Newby permenantly from barrow

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: This weeks messenger
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 01:39:15 PM »

Weirdly it's covering the men's first team. It says we are trying to sign Elliott Newby permenantly from barrow

Would he really want to drop two divisions by joining us for next season?

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 01:39:55 PM »

The article indicates he's keen

taxi Phil

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 01:42:53 PM »

I've looked in Roget's Thesaurus. "KEEN" doesn't appear as a synonym for either "UNAMBITIOUS" or "DELUDED". Maybe it should.

John Edwards

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 03:27:37 PM »

To be fair, it covers the men's first team every week, on the back page and, as far as I'm aware, inside back page. I live outside the Messenger circulation area, so can only go by what the guy who designs the sports pages tells me. Last week's back page piece led in on the free tickets for schoolkids because it was such an innovative scheme by the community staff, with schools receiving vouchers to spend on sports equipment for each pupil who attended the game, but it still included quotes from Matt Doughty on the first team near the end. The guy who designs the sports pages, by the way, is based at the Bolton Evening News, because the Messenger no longer have any sports staff of any description, so if we didn't submit articles ourselves, we wouldn't get any coverage.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 03:56:15 PM »

To be fair, it covers the men's first team every week, on the back page and, as far as I'm aware, inside back page. I live outside the Messenger circulation area, so can only go by what the guy who designs the sports pages tells me. Last week's back page piece led in on the free tickets for schoolkids because it was such an innovative scheme by the community staff, with schools receiving vouchers to spend on sports equipment for each pupil who attended the game, but it still included quotes from Matt Doughty on the first team near the end. The guy who designs the sports pages, by the way, is based at the Bolton Evening News, because the Messenger no longer have any sports staff of any description, so if we didn't submit articles ourselves, we wouldn't get any coverage.

A sad indictment on the demise of local journalism. Highlighting of course the importance of utilising social media to maximum effect. Yes it's a cheap shot and of course it's not aimed at John, but come on it's a decent point right?

John Edwards

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 04:44:49 PM »

100 per cent, it is a sad indictment of the demise of local journalism, John. The newspaper industry is in decline and has been for years, I'm afraid, with titles either disappearing or being changed from daily to weekly. Johnston Press did the latter to a string of well-established evening papers a year or so ago, including one I used to work for, the Kettering-based Northants Evening Telegraph, which is now just the Northants Telegraph and comes out once a week. Even so, I'm not sure it is a fair point for Pete to say 'wierdly', the Messenger are reporting on the first team in this week's paper. I don't think that sort of sarcasm is justified, since there is a decent-sized story on the back page every week. As for the amount of coverage the Ladies' team get, compared to the first team, if that's what Pete was alluding to, I was only made aware very recently that the picture on the back page is almost always of a Ladies' game. I've spoken to the guy on the Bolton Evening News about it, and he has assured me he will use photos from first-team games, if they are sent in. Evidently, they haven't been up to now, so I'll hold my hands up there to a breakdown in communication with Gavin and Mike. I should have spotted they weren't being sent to The Messenger, but they will be now. In fact, I sent a batch to them on Monday for this week's paper, so hopefully once might have been used..

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 05:12:03 PM »

Good stuff, sarcasm is an affliction I've carried for life. Both senior sides should be having proper articles and photos.There's little else in the paper now they've lost the estate agents section.But as you say local newspapers are on the way out. Bring back the Timperley Independent

John Edwards

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 06:29:36 PM »

I'd apply for a job, if they did, Pete!

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 07:19:58 PM »

It was no Fleet Street, administered from a garden shed within the grounds of fresh nest farm shop!

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 07:50:47 PM »

Despite living in WA14............we do not even receive a copy of the Messenger

Having said that, when I occasionally do go on line, the big talking point is always 'local cat rescued from a tree' or some Mothers selling cream cakes in Timperley Village Hall....exciting stuff
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 07:52:23 PM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 This weeks messenger