PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Matt Doughty Q and A
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Matt Doughty Q and A  (Read 13683 times)

Teasierbeaver

Re: Matt Doughty Q and A
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 01:06:58 AM »

What's the story with Reeves?

AFC56

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 06:30:05 AM »

Just that he has lost his turn of pace, and is no longer the same player that both Robbie and Matt played with.  He hasn't scored a goal under the new management team and his overall contribution to the team is poor. It's nothing new for the fans as Reeeves has been in steady decline for a while now, it's just that Matt and Robbie haven't blindly persisted with him based on previous achievements, like other might have.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 08:40:27 AM »

The handling  of Reeves by all 3 management trams has been piss poor. From Young benching him 2nd game of the season so he could 'have a look at Metz', to Harvey having stood on the half way line scractching his arse for an hour at training to being publicaly  told he's too slow and not good enough by the current hierarchy.

It would be poor form even if we were scoring 2 or 3 goals a game, but were not.

Still the only natural goal scorer in the squad. Some players need an arm round them not a roasting.

Full time and proud of it

bighairedmike

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 08:51:04 AM »

The handling  of Reeves by all 3 management trams has been piss poor. From Young benching him 2nd game of the season so he could 'have a look at Metz', to Harvey having stood on the half way line scractching his arse for an hour at training to being publicaly  told he's too slow and not good enough by the current hierarchy.

It would be poor form even if we were scoring 2 or 3 goals a game, but were not.

Still the only natural goal scorer in the squad. Some players need an arm round them not a roasting.

Pull your head out of your arse Glyn, and wake up.

They hardly gave him a roasting, they just said that 0 goals in the 12 games he's played of the 15 that they've been managing doesn't warrant a starting place every week, no matter wha he's done previously. And they are quite right.

They attributed his lack of goals to the style of play to stop us leaking sh*t loads of goals as well, they didn't just say "he's crap and not playing because he isn't what he used to be".

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2017, 08:59:52 AM »

Have to agree BHM. No player should be guaranteed a starting place on past glories if they're not performing to a decent standard at present although I don't blame RIS for defending him as he's a personal friend.

Malty G

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 09:05:54 AM »

I'd still rather have a slow goalscorer on the pitch than a sprinter who doesn't know where the goals are.  I appreciate they don't think he is right for the system but then I don't see how Andy Owens is either. I bet Reeves has scored more goals this season than we have had shots on target in the last 5 games .Maybe he needs an arm around him rather than  public criticism (and that's  aimed at GH rather than Matt and Robbie).   Did anyone ask why they played our most creative player at left-back when McWilliams was on the bench?

AFC56

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 09:20:20 AM »

There seemed to be two reasons as to why Clee has been playing left back. Firstly McWilliams wasn't following instructions (but they have been pleased with him of late) and secondly Matt thought teams were doubling up on Nicky, so presumably playing him left back means he can bomb on without being heavily marked. Sounded good in theory, thought im not sure its really worked out that way.

Chrissy A

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2017, 09:29:35 AM »

I'd still rather have a slow goalscorer on the pitch than a sprinter who doesn't know where the goals are.  I appreciate they don't think he is right for the system but then I don't see how Andy Owens is either. I bet Reeves has scored more goals this season than we have had shots on target in the last 5 games .Maybe he needs an arm around him rather than  public criticism (and that's  aimed at GH rather than Matt and Robbie).   Did anyone ask why they played our most creative player at left-back when McWilliams was on the bench?

He's scored three league goals all season so I highly doubt it.

Don't really get the issue with Clee either. If we are honest he didn't make the immediate impact we would have hoped for on his return and results have been better of late since his move to left back and has allowed Newby to chip in with some goals.

York Alty is back

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2017, 10:08:09 AM »

I'd still rather have a slow goalscorer on the pitch than a sprinter who doesn't know where the goals are.  I appreciate they don't think he is right for the system but then I don't see how Andy Owens is either. I bet Reeves has scored more goals this season than we have had shots on target in the last 5 games .Maybe he needs an arm around him rather than  public criticism (and that's  aimed at GH rather than Matt and Robbie).   Did anyone ask why they played our most creative player at left-back when McWilliams was on the bench?

He's scored three league goals all season so I highly doubt it.

Don't really get the issue with Clee either. If we are honest he didn't make the immediate impact we would have hoped for on his return and results have been better of late since his move to left back and has allowed Newby to chip in with some goals.

The team was a complete shambles then. Signs of improvement of late but to no avail.

Malty G

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2017, 11:08:43 AM »

He's scored 7 goals this season so I wouldn't imagine I'm far off. And that's more than Owens, Hobson and Evans combined. It's all well and good  saying we neededto tighten up but you can concede and win games but you can't fail to score and win. Goalless draws were never going to be good enough for us, we needed to win matches. Or is their philosophy to get players used to a system we will be playing next season and to write off this season. If so , I don't think I'd want to watch us play that way in the evostik.

AFC56

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2017, 11:44:31 AM »

I agree the style of play in the last two home games has been dreadful to watch. I would hope next season with the injured players back fit and hopefully some confidence we wont just lump it up. Matt and Robbie talked about working towards the plan for next season, but without knowing whether they will be in charge or not. Matt said he was working hard to bring the very best players available to Moss Lane even if he isn't there to see them play together. All very confusing, as we know that one mangers opinion on a player is very different to the next. My guess is that GR is allowing them to put together a squad for next season knowing that they will be in charge, but is waiting (and hoping) that they win a few more so he can justify their appointment.

York Alty is back

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2017, 11:51:21 AM »

GR is allowing them to put together a squad for next season knowing that they will be in charge, but is waiting (and hoping) that they win a few more so he can justify their appointment.

I agree, and that just ain't good enough for me.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2017, 12:14:33 PM »

I was there last night, re-building takes time, a lot of time. 2-3 seasons typically.

Both Robbie and Matt want to succeed, but it will take time. I believe they are making progress, but the ship is steadying. Far from perfect and they acknowledged that. They want to play attractive football but in the interim have gone more combative. Mindset of the players is a huge problem, Robbie being a sports psychology teacher is working on that side. I see a difference.

my fear is that if we chop and change again to much, we will continue to free fall. Steady the ship and move forwards from there through the pre-season, which as they said. Has started now.

They want to bounce back next season if we go down and that is what they are gearing up for. Personally I think they should be given the opportunity unless w e see no tangible process. Next 2 home games will tell us a lot and will have a bearing on there position come end of April.

I would like to see Reeves playing, it is the only way he will score. Currently I see he is 3rd highest scorer behind Miller and lawrie. Interesting 4 of his goals come against the teams in the league below. Pointer for next season perhaps?

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2017, 12:57:41 PM »

Wot he said !

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2017, 01:03:32 PM »

Glad to see some reasoned posts on here.

It's almost as if people are hoping the club DOESN'T stabilise after 2 horrific years - if that happens under Matt and Robbie, good on them.  Some people need to grow up.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Matt Doughty Q and A