PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Mr Rowley
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Mr Rowley  (Read 19010 times)

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Mr Rowley
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2017, 09:51:07 AM »

I don't see Graeme Rowley walking away.

But if by some remote chance he did (possibly as a reaction to the amount of abuse he's getting), who would replace him ?

I've no idea. How on earth did we ever manage to exist for the previous 100 years without GR?
With a range of other chairmen who ranged from good (Noel White for example) to despicable (John Maunders). These men were all AVAILABLE. To rephrase my question.....who would be AVAILABLE to replace Graeme Rowley should he quit ?

So you'd let Rowley continue taking us towards The North West Counties League because you think no ones available to be our chairman? We might as well just lock the doors then. I'm sure there'd be a few available and very capable people if the board wasn't such a closed unit.

Quite so, but the status of our board makes such capable people UNAVAILABLE. I'm certainly NOT saying I'm happy with that....far from it. At the moment I actually believe that I'm going to give up watching football altogether.....other than on TV. This season has totally drained my enthusiasm.

Potential new chairmen are never available (sorry, AVAILABLE) as such. It's not like with out of work managers. The next chairman could be someone currently on the board or a longstanding supporter or someone who's just moved to the area or someone previously involved with another football club or a retired businessman or any number of other possibilities. Geoff Goodwin wasn't 'available' to be our chairman before it happened but happen it did.

Standing down once we're relegated (or now, frankly) is the right thing for GR to do. He has presided over a year of catastrophic failure, for which he has accepted no responsibility and shown no contrition, and has become the focus of anger and resentment from great swathes of the fans. If he has the best interests of the club at heart, he will stand down. Let's not give him excuses, and ridiculous ones at that, for staying on.

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2017, 11:50:09 AM »

Potential new chairmen are never available (sorry, AVAILABLE) as such. It's not like with out of work managers. The next chairman could be someone currently on the board or a longstanding supporter or someone who's just moved to the area or someone previously involved with another football club or a retired businessman or any number of other possibilities. Geoff Goodwin wasn't 'available' to be our chairman before it happened but happen it did.

Standing down once we're relegated (or now, frankly) is the right thing for GR to do. He has presided over a year of catastrophic failure, for which he has accepted no responsibility and shown no contrition, and has become the focus of anger and resentment from great swathes of the fans. If he has the best interests of the club at heart, he will stand down. Let's not give him excuses, and ridiculous ones at that, for staying on.
I just heard the sound of a nail being hit on the head.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

taxi Phil

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2017, 12:50:35 PM »

I just heard the sound of a nail being hit on the head.
Was it Mr.Rowley's head ?

Ian J

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2017, 01:38:50 PM »

I read an article today that stated “How we help people have hope in the most difficult time is what separates good leaders from great ones”.

There is no doubt that we are in difficult times, but what’s your view on this statement?

Personally, I have no hope (unsurprisingly) that we will escape relegation this season, nor do I have hope that we will come back at the first attempt next season if (when) we are eventually relegated.

taxi Phil

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2017, 02:15:47 PM »

The statement is basically correct. We don't even have a good leader hence hope is not an option.

wellingboroughALTY

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2017, 02:28:17 PM »

I will expect and the club should demand of whatever manager and players we have that we come back up next season and then have a good season in this dreadful league the season after.

Im sick to the back teeth of being told we can't compete with clubs like Harrogate and whoever else it may be that get one man a dog going to watch, we'll get bigger attendances in the glue league than half the clubs in this division.

Easy to forget amongst this years shambles that just last season up until Christmas we were competing well enough with Tranmere, Cheltenham and Grimsby and beating and nearly beating two League one sides. I expected to be going for the play offs this season not next year when our embarrassing play off semi final capitulation will be at Rushall Olympic in front of 300 fans.

Graham Bennetts Perm

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2017, 03:19:38 PM »

But if by some remote chance he did (possibly as a reaction to the amount of abuse he's getting), who would replace him ?

I've no idea. How on earth did we ever manage to exist for the previous 100 years without GR?
With a range of other chairmen who ranged from good (Noel White for example) to despicable (John Maunders). These men were all AVAILABLE. To rephrase my question.....who would be AVAILABLE to replace Graeme Rowley should he quit ?

So you'd let Rowley continue taking us towards The North West Counties League because you think no ones available to be our chairman? We might as well just lock the doors then. I'm sure there'd be a few available and very capable people if the board wasn't such a closed unit.

Quite so, but the status of our board makes such capable people UNAVAILABLE. I'm certainly NOT saying I'm happy with that....far from it. At the moment I actually believe that I'm going to give up watching football altogether.....other than on TV. This season has totally drained my enthusiasm.

Indeed, and the seeds of next season's failure are being sown now.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2017, 04:33:12 PM »

It is for the major shareholders to appoint a new chairman/board....

At the time of the last crisis when Gerry Berman stood down they actually got off their arses and bought in Geoff Andrew and grahame.

Just to clarify that it wasn't Gerry Berman who stood down during the 'crisis' AGM and ensuing EGM of 2002.

The board at that time comprised Dave Tracey, Bob Green, Bob Peters, Jeremy Pollitt and Kevan Guiney.

They reportedly resigned en masse following their failure to gain the backing of the club's five largest shareholders, headed by (former chairman] Gerry Berman.

The new board members were:

Geoff Goodwin (nominated by Gerry Berman);

Andrew Shaw (nominated by Leonard Rosenfield);

Grahame Rowley (nominated by Graham Heathcote).

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

DT

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2017, 06:47:23 PM »

Cult

Just to clairfy what actually happened, the board asked the shareholders (owners) whether they were willing to clear the club's debt by splitting it 50/50 between the board and owners. This gesture was not accepted by the owners and a challenge issued as to whether the board would resign if agreement wasn't made. The rest is history.

People should read wiki and corporate govenance, the shareholders own the company and the directors simply administer it.

A shame really as the board were staunch Alty fans as well (Jeremy did have a tint of blue). Not sure where we go from here but shareholding does carry responsibility.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2017, 07:45:48 PM »

Cult

Just to clairfy what actually happened, the board asked the shareholders (owners) whether they were willing to clear the club's debt by splitting it 50/50 between the board and owners. This gesture was not accepted by the owners and a challenge issued as to whether the board would resign if agreement wasn't made. The rest is history.

People should read wiki and corporate govenance, the shareholders own the company and the directors simply administer it.

A shame really as the board were staunch Alty fans as well (Jeremy did have a tint of blue). Not sure where we go from here but shareholding does carry responsibility.

Cheers, DT.

Happy to hear from one of the protagonists during what I recall as being an 'interesting' summer!

My notes were derived from contemporary newspaper reports of the events.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2017, 08:51:06 PM »

Indeed, this talk of finding someone first is getting tedious.
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

Matt Taylor

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2017, 09:10:16 PM »

It is for the major shareholders to appoint a new chairman/board....

At the time of the last crisis when Gerry Berman stood down they actually got off their arses and bought in Geoff Andrew and grahame.

Just to clarify that it wasn't Gerry Berman who stood down during the 'crisis' AGM and ensuing EGM of 2002.

The board at that time comprised Dave Tracey, Bob Green, Bob Peters, Jeremy Pollitt and Kevan Guiney.

They reportedly resigned en masse following their failure to gain the backing of the club's five largest shareholders, headed by (former chairman] Gerry Berman.

The new board members were:

Geoff Goodwin (nominated by Gerry Berman);

Andrew Shaw (nominated by Leonard Rosenfield);

Grahame Rowley (nominated by Graham Heathcote).

Not sure which is right or not, but under a summary of our recent history the official club website has it slightly different:

The remaining Board members resigned in May 2002, and the major shareholders, led by Gerry Berman, held an EGM on 17 June 2002. From this, a new Board emerged comprising Grahame Rowley and Geoff Goodwin both nominated by Graham Heathcote, and Andrew Shaw nominated by Len Rosenfield.

Jezza

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2017, 06:55:53 AM »

my apologies to DT for getting his reign in the wrong order....difficult to keep track of the rapidly revolving door in our boardroom sometimes  ;D ;D ;D ;D

SammyH8

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2017, 08:36:46 PM »

Terrible times.  Whilst I don't blame Rowley, I blame Neil Young (C**t), things need to change and fast, problem is I've no idea how, would love Jamie Newhall to come up with a solid plan?
the board love people like you who make young the scapegoat

If Young didn't happen we would have a similar team to last year and be sitting mid table right now, Rowley has made some horrible appointments in the past 18 months but to call Young a scapegoat is wrong, that man has got us into this mess.

bighairedmike

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2017, 08:42:21 PM »

Terrible times.  Whilst I don't blame Rowley, I blame Neil Young (C**t), things need to change and fast, problem is I've no idea how, would love Jamie Newhall to come up with a solid plan?
the board love people like you who make young the scapegoat

If Young didn't happen we would have a similar team to last year and be sitting mid table right now, Rowley has made some horrible appointments in the past 18 months but to call Young a scapegoat is wrong, that man has got us into this mess.

Young was the cause of this. Rowley and co were the cause of that. To call them a scapegoat would be wrong. They got us into this mess.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Mr Rowley