News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Worst ever ...

Author Topic: Worst ever ...  (Read 9017 times)

roytonmike

Worst ever ...
« on: January 22, 2017, 06:49:56 PM »

League placing - bottom of the Cheshire League twice - once may just be in someone's living memory (1952-3) but the other is definitely history (1929-30).
Points total for season - again, one is just about in living memory -1960-61 22 pts. from 42 games (which would equate to 30 pts. under modern system); and the other one isn't - 1928-9 23 pts, from 38 games (equating to 31 pts. under modern system).
This season may very easily beat the points record; the question of lowest ever league placing is more subjective, but it's a sad commentary on affairs that either matter should be exercising my tiny mind!

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Worst ever ...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 07:10:40 PM »

Lets hope it doesn't happen

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 07:15:41 PM »

League placing - bottom of the Cheshire League twice - once may just be in someone's living memory (1952-3) but the other is definitely history (1929-30).
Points total for season - again, one is just about in living memory -1960-61 22 pts. from 42 games (which would equate to 30 pts. under modern system); and the other one isn't - 1928-9 23 pts, from 38 games (equating to 31 pts. under modern system).
This season may very easily beat the points record; the question of lowest ever league placing is more subjective, but it's a sad commentary on affairs that either matter should be exercising my tiny mind!

That 1960/61 season was the one during which the club almost ceased to exist owing to financial chaos.

By contrast, in this 2016/17 season we are apparently thriving.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

taxi Phil

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 08:34:36 PM »

We need a 21st century White & Swales.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 08:00:32 AM »

I'd settle for Harris back from his northwich exile
Bernard Taylors barmy army

taxi Phil

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 08:27:41 AM »

I'd settle for Harris back from his northwich exile

He could be back soon......with Witton who could come up.

Baldrick

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 02:29:57 PM »

It might not be all doom and gloom next season. The famous Lancaster City are on the way up so a visit to the Giant Axe will be a good day out. I went there a few years ago when i noticed they had minus three points and hadn't won a game for as long as anyone could remember. I had a great day there. I just wish i could remember it.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 02:50:53 PM »

It might not be all doom and gloom next season. The famous Lancaster City are on the way up so a visit to the Giant Axe will be a good day out. I went there a few years ago when i noticed they had minus three points and hadn't won a game for as long as anyone could remember. I had a great day there. I just wish i could remember it.

Trafford are in with a shout and don't rule out Droylsden making the play  offs

taxi Phil

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 07:16:09 PM »

Droylsden have about as much chance of making the playoffs as we have of staying up. They may only be 6 points off them, but they've played more games than most of the teams above them.

Lancaster is worth a visit just for the superb pies !

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 07:32:46 PM »

Droylsden have about as much chance of making the playoffs as we have of staying up. They may only be 6 points off them, but they've played more games than most of the teams above them.

Lancaster is worth a visit just for the superb pies !

It is a long shot admittedly

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 08:06:02 PM »

So Mike, 23 points from the remaining games is a must!

roytonmike

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 08:15:57 PM »

Pigs ... fly ...

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 06:01:28 PM »

Pigs ... fly ...

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 08:40:56 PM »

After a conversation at yesterday's match, I have had a look through old tables for the most goals conceded, and, as far as I can see, it's 146 from 42 league matches in 1928-29. We only finished 3rd bottom that season.

At least, that's one record we should (I stress should) be able to avoid breaking.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Worst ever ...