News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 This is what we need

Author Topic: This is what we need  (Read 4396 times)

Jezza

This is what we need
« on: January 29, 2017, 11:05:04 AM »

Yesterday as part of my work I joined the prawn sandwich brigade at anfield.

Wolves are 18th I think in the league below Liverpool who are riding high in the premiership......wolves went to anfield with belief and a game plan which was an absolute pleasure to watch....a rigid double line of 4 defenders, 4 midfielders and two fast strikers.....an absolute masterclass in tactical counter attacking and soaking up pressure despite having worse players than Liverpool.

When Liverpool started to make headway through the middle wolves switched to 4-5-1 and immediately shut the door.

This is what I expected when the cote became involved again....a bit like when we went to luton when they had scored 20 odd goals in the last 4 games and we came away with a hard earned 0-0.....and it was what I expected from Jim Harvey.

We seem to go out with no master game plan and just try to play sinnot football and get suckered week in week out......and the cycle has sapped confidence completely.

It is indeed sad that we have become so brain washed into believing we cant compete this is a result of years of lack of ambition and arrogance.

AFC56

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: This is what we need
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 11:57:35 AM »

Yes our tactics continue to confuse me as well.
We concede many goals from simple crosses into the area yet we continue to field full backs who don't seem to see the stopping of crosses as one of their primary objectives.
I think the tendency of full backs to 'tuck in' also exacerbates the problem as attackers coming in from the flanks have time to get up a head of steam before they meet any resistance.
Yes I like to see a full back making overlapping runs but not at the expense of his primary objective of preventing attacking threats from the wings..

Perhaps it's modern tactical thinking as Gary Neville made a similar point recently when he observed that todays full backs seem to see  their main role to be pseudo wingers rather than defending their goal.

However we don't have the luxury of adopting tactical models that require premiership levels of ability and fitness.

So my message would be KISS. 

Macsporran

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 01:14:01 PM »

Yes our tactics continue to confuse me as well.
We concede many goals from simple crosses into the area yet we continue to field full backs who don't seem to see the stopping of crosses as one of their primary objectives.
I think the tendency of full backs to 'tuck in' also exacerbates the problem as attackers coming in from the flanks have time to get up a head of steam before they meet any resistance.
Yes I like to see a full back making overlapping runs but not at the expense of his primary objective of preventing attacking threats from the wings..

Perhaps it's modern tactical thinking as Gary Neville made a similar point recently when he observed that todays full backs seem to see  their main role to be pseudo wingers rather than defending their goal.

However we don't have the luxury of adopting tactical models that require premiership levels of ability and fitness.

So my message would be KISS. 

That's a decent shout, look at the goals we concede and a high percentage are headers from easy crosses into the box ( or set pieces) like both goals at Chorley for example. Yesterday, 3rd and 4th goals came from similar. The goal we conceded at Brackley in the week was similar. So that's 5 in a week...and that's just one week
If we play a tradional 4 at the back, then you shouldn't get both full backs bombing forward as they tend to do in a 5. I'd prefer to see 5 in midfield with 2 out wide, say Nicky Clee and Newby.
It's rare for us to score a goal from a full back cross, yesterday being an exception. Until we get full backs of a much higher standard then I think we should play a 4-5-1 and make us harder to score against from these cross balls.
Simple in theory!

Stan Hibbert

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 03:33:03 PM »

We could have played a 5-5-5 formation yesterday and would still have lost.

The phrase 'you can't polish a turd' springs to mind.

taxi Phil

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 05:53:41 PM »

We could have played a 5-5-5 formation yesterday and would still have lost.

The phrase 'you can't polish a turd' springs to mind.

Plus Fylde, unlike Liverpool, didn't leave most of their best players out.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 07:30:39 AM »

On the subject of Wolves, some telling remarks below from their then chairman.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-england-championship-wolves-idUKBRE94309L20130504

Strong parallels with the situation here. I suggest our current chairman takes a long hard look at this article.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 08:19:53 AM by Bob »

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 09:54:10 AM »

It was another three years before he sold the club to the Chinese.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 This is what we need