PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Large turnover of players
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Large turnover of players  (Read 7675 times)

roytonmike

« on: December 11, 2016, 01:34:33 PM »

In response to Cult on another thread - I count 41 players named on team-sheets so far this season, of whom 2 (Foster & A. Jones) have not made it on to the pitch. Of the 41 a total of 5 (Foster, Hasler-Cregg, Jones, McDonald & Menagh) have only featured as substitutes, which leaves 36 starters so far. In 1964-5 we used 37 players - there were no subs back then - which I suspect might be the previous highest, so assuming the new Jones starts next Saturday that will have been equalled & may well be eclipsed before the end of the calendar year!

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Large turnover of players
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 03:02:56 PM »

Another unwelcome record, this will be the latest ever first home league win of the season, beating 1992/3 when we beat Welling on 16th December

York Alty is back

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 04:33:53 PM »

Great stats. Depressing stats.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 05:58:23 PM »

In response to Cult on another thread - I count 41 players named on team-sheets so far this season, of whom 2 (Foster & A. Jones) have not made it on to the pitch. Of the 41 a total of 5 (Foster, Hasler-Cregg, Jones, McDonald & Menagh) have only featured as substitutes, which leaves 36 starters so far. In 1964-5 we used 37 players - there were no subs back then - which I suspect might be the previous highest, so assuming the new Jones starts next Saturday that will have been equalled & may well be eclipsed before the end of the calendar year!

Mike,

Many thanks for your research.

The increase in the number of substitutes eligible to be used in recent times does serve to make it difficult to compare different eras.

Just imagine how many players Freddie Pye would have got through in a season if the option of using three substitutes per game had been available to him!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 08:51:21 AM »

This is why I simply don't blame the CSH whatsoever for any alleged 'distractions' - because there is no excuse for this utterly shambolic way of running things ON the pitch.

41 players don't come cheap, so budget never came into it, let's face it.

In the close season, did the "get rid of the bloody lot of them" brigade actually think this would work? Have they ever watched football closely before?

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 09:29:14 AM »

A number of last season's squad needed getting rid of. Unfortunately, Luca and Scott should have been retained at all costs - that was the real error.

taxi Phil

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 11:29:50 AM »

Is it really only 35 years since Aston Villa won the League using only 13 players (1 substitute in those days) ?

York Alty is back

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 11:56:21 AM »

Is it really only 35 years since Aston Villa won the League using only 13 players (1 substitute in those days) ?

Somebody recently wanted five sub's. I think it was a prem manager?  Two is fine with me, three is stretching it a bit but is tolerable. More that that and its approaching half the team being swapped. That will make life easier for the clubs who have internationals sat on their arses on the bench I suppose. It will also allow managers who have got their team selection and tactics wrong loads of opportunities to put it right during a game.

No more subs.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 05:03:10 PM by York Alty »

Tim Perlee

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 12:11:39 PM »

Somebody recently wanted five sub's. I think it was a prem manager?
It was Pep: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38270906

...we are going to finish [the season], then after one week the World Cup then after three weeks we go to the pre-season, we go to China, the States, Australia...
he complained.

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 12:24:39 PM »

Pep wants to concentrate more on getting a settled back four instead of wanting MORE rotation!!

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 05:38:32 PM »

Pep wants to concentrate more on getting a settled back four instead of wanting MORE rotation!!

Without Kompany City can't cut the mustard...

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 09:19:41 PM »

Oddly enough, despite the large amount of players used, we still have 10 of the 11 players who started on opening day against Darlington on the books, the only player to have left being David Lynch.
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 08:32:43 AM »

A number of last season's squad needed getting rid of. Unfortunately, Luca and Scott should have been retained at all costs - that was the real error.

Everyone wanted rid of Luca.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 02:07:02 PM »

Everyone wanted rid of Luca.

Yeh I quite like the Luca that displayed strong leadership and athleticism in the conference north.

Last years version that spent an age coming back from a broken nose and the rest of the season ducking under headers I'd had more than enough of though

The Sound of Silence

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 02:57:46 PM »

Without Kompany City can't cut the mustard...

I have recently noted a distressing tendency in a couple of threads (also the Anthony Taylor one) for Manchester City issues to creep into the discussion. I think we all need to remember the true purposes of the forum, which are of course to reminisce about almost getting elected to the League in 1980 (Stokoed) and promoted to it in 1991 (Flashmanned), to make puns about obscure Suffolk towns and to make Fabio Bassangue jokes. I will expect the moderators to limit discussion solely to these topics in future, please.  :D ;D ;) 8)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 02:59:30 PM by The Sound of Silence »
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team