PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Tamworth - Match Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Tamworth - Match Thread  (Read 11766 times)

taxi Phil

Re: Tamworth - Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2016, 06:35:41 PM »

Club needs putting up for sale, this is terminal. Battled hardened 30+ year fans staying away in their droves. Only somthing radical will arrest this. It's a pantomime, and it pains me to say that. 12 points adrift of this sh*t league is unacceptable

But still almost 800 home fans
That includes season ticket holders. I'm not the only one staying away.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2016, 06:41:30 PM »

Club needs putting up for sale, this is terminal. Battled hardened 30+ year fans staying away in their droves. Only somthing radical will arrest this. It's a pantomime, and it pains me to say that. 12 points adrift of this sh*t league is unacceptable

But still almost 800 home fans
That includes season ticket holders. I'm not the only one staying away.

didnt look like 800 plus but if  theres 300 season ticket holders thats why

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2016, 06:44:22 PM »

It hurts me to admit I could not face it today

I spent time with my daughter instead
ParkINson's red and white army

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2016, 07:17:18 PM »

I went to see Atherton Cols beat Penrith in the FA Vase. Terrific match, lots of passion and some pretty decent players too

Man of Moss

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2016, 07:21:22 PM »

I played with a Brass Band in Ashton Market it was fun, and yes I am a season ticket holder, not going on Tuesday either, waste of my hard earned money.

arnald

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2016, 07:23:47 PM »

TAmworth having a laff

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2016, 07:28:41 PM »

What can you say?

Jim Harvey's record as Alty manager in his opening 10 league fixtures:

Won: 1.

Drawn: 0.

Lost: 9.

Goals scored: 8.

Goals conceded: 25.

Points gained: 3 out of a possible total of 30.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

York Alty is back

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2016, 08:10:10 PM »

What can you say?

I can say 'holy feck'.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2016, 08:30:33 PM »

What can you say?

woeful

The Sound of Silence

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2016, 07:46:38 AM »

I am going to start with an apology - I have not read anything anyone else has posted about this match, because I don't want to be influenced by what anyone else thinks before I write this, not because I am not interested or respectful of others' views. So if it is repetitive of other posts I apologise. I like to wait a bit before I post match comments so I can ponder and not just react emotionally, so here goes....

1.Really bad luck that Patterson and Cyrus were ill - I am sure they would have started instead of Goodall and Lenighan had they been fit, and I might not have been writing this. Nothing JH could have done about that.

2. Sod's law also meant that Curtis (who am I playing for this week?) Obeng had just left, but then JH did seem to harbour a delusion that he was a winger. So we had no cover at right back.

3. I could see the logic of playing Richman there (someone had to play there) but it did disrupt the central midfield (see below) which was a big factor at Alfreton. This was a tough one for JH and I can see why he did what he did, although I might have tried something different (see below).

4. There is absolutely no excuse for playing Goodall at centre half. Love Island Luc and Clayton McDonald were sitting on the bench, and Goodall is not a centre half, as he presumably demonstrated even to JH's satisfaction yesterday. He has clearly been a good player, but clearly NOT a centre half, and in my view age has caught up with him. He may be club captain but it is not compulsory to play the man. It is not a coincidence that we were 2-1 up at Alfreton when he came on and we lost 3-2. If he was going to play then right back would have been a better option IMO.

5. Had Goodall played right back then Richman could have played centre midfield, which would have been a big improvement. Apart from the fact that Richman was way out of position for the first goal (but then, unlike Goodall, he is not a full back) he would also have been much more effective than Lenighan. He has not yet completed a match for us and unless he improves his passing and positional discipline I am not sure he ever will.

6. It was clear pretty early on that Goodall was going to have a 'mare. Not only that, but by forcing Hannigan to play right central defence (we may have noticed he prefers left - remember Matlock when he played on the right?) this also made him much less secure, confident and effective, so he had by far his least impressive match in our colours. The difference in Hannigan when McDonald replaced Goodall (about an hour too late) was very evident.

7. The tackling and defensive positioning for the two goals was atrocious. Briscoe is not Lionel Messi, he is a player who struggles to get a regular start for Tamworth, but we made him look like a world beater in the first half.

8. Wilkinson was clearly injured, but just because Hobson was the choice as sub doesn't mean we have to lump the ball in the air up to him all the time, particularly as Belshaw was having a great game and dominating his area. Like most of NY's acquisitions Hobson is a limited player, and the change of formation really didn't work at all.

9. Also Marsh is not a winger / wide midfielder nor is Lawrie a central midfielder, so quite what that substitution was supposed to achieve also lost me a bit, although I know the squad is now paper thin.

10. If Tamworth had not literally missed 4 or 5 absolute sitters we would have suffered a defeat which would have reflected the true awfulness of our performance in this match, on the scale of the AFC Fylde debacle.

What we do now very much depends on the basis on which JH was appointed, which may require the club to be honest with us in this respect. If the enormity of the damage wrought by Young's reign had been recognised by the Board, and JH was told "this will take years to sort out, we know we are going down, please hold the fort while the inevitable happens and you/we can try and sort out the mess next summer" I can actually see that, but we need to know, because if JH is seriously trying to keep us up we need some serious and urgent re-thinking. because it ain't happening.

We have now lost 7 matches on the trot, and under JH 10 league matches out of 11. Over that period we have played much better away than at home (actually I mean less badly, but the point is valid). Our home performances have varied from insipid and uninspired to catastrophic (Bradford second half) and if I did not go to away games (and did not recognise the importance of supporting the team when they are deep in the proverbial) I would probably have voted with my feet by now, as I am sure many people have and will.

So the Board knows on what basis JH was appointed, and in my view should act in a manner appropriate to that, and tell us what the score is. They have eyes to see what is happening as we all have. If change is required it is required urgently, and if not we need to know precisely why not.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2016, 08:50:41 AM »

I think it's safe to say we will be playing evostick league football next season. We need 40 points from 69 available. That just to hope 47 keeps you up, the average needed historically in this league is 45. That's 14 wins from 23 games. We've currently won 14 of our last 79 games. It goes one of two ways, throw everything we've got at in January be that mean paying transfer fees or whatever else is required. Or we call it a draw and run on a shoestring budget saving anything we have to try and put a team together capable of winning the evostick league. We need strong honest and Frank leadership here. We cannot just plod along hoping it doesn't happen, that approach last year is the reason we are in this mess. Everything will shrink next year, sponsorship, crowds, profile. we can't be charging people more than ten quid to watch evostick league football for starters, we are over priced as it is. We are close to a massive crossroads here.

York Alty is back

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2016, 09:18:44 AM »

I think it's safe to say we will be playing evostick league football next season. We need 40 points from 69 available. That just to hope 47 keeps you up, the average needed historically in this league is 45. That's 14 wins from 23 games. We've currently won 14 of our last 79 games. It goes one of two ways, throw everything we've got at in January be that mean paying transfer fees or whatever else is required. Or we call it a draw and run on a shoestring budget saving anything we have to try and put a team together capable of winning the evostick league. We need strong honest and Frank leadership here. We cannot just plod along hoping it doesn't happen, that approach last year is the reason we are in this mess. Everything will shrink next year, sponsorship, crowds, profile. we can't be charging people more than ten quid to watch evostick league football for starters, we are over priced as it is. We are close to a massive crossroads here.

There is no doubt in my mind now that we are down. Coming back up won't be easy and on that  basis I believe we should be planning NOW for a stay of two years at least years. The only point I disagree with is the cost to watch next season.  Away fans will be a rarity so why not just ask Alty fans what they'd pay and use that info as one piece of info about pricing. A tenner won't leave much for a proper push to my view.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2016, 11:24:40 AM »

There is no doubt in my mind now that we are down. Coming back up won't be easy and on that  basis I believe we should be planning NOW for a stay of two years at least years. The only point I disagree with is the cost to watch next season.  Away fans will be a rarity so why not just ask Alty fans what they'd pay and use that info as one piece of info about pricing. A tenner won't leave much for a proper push to my view.

Anything north of a tenner for Barwell, Coalville and Mickleover Sports et al will be a very hard sell. Especially with our embarrassing recent home record. I'm glad I'm 170 miles away from this total shambles. Like many long term supporters I am beginning to lose interest.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2016, 11:45:32 AM »

We will piss that tinpot leauge...

We really should be beating teams like this ...

On a serious note if relegated those teams will be so up for beating us it will be unreal

Let's beat the once  big name in non leauge it will not be pretty or easy

We need fighters

York Alty is back

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2016, 12:01:21 PM »

Anything north of a tenner for Barwell, Coalville and Mickleover Sports et al will be a very hard sell. Especially with our embarrassing recent home record. I'm glad I'm 170 miles away from this total shambles. Like many long term supporters I am beginning to lose interest.
[/quote]

You weren't at Waterloo station this morning were you? My daughter spotted an Alty scarf there about 11:30.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Tamworth - Match Thread