PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The Board

Poll

Are the current board the correct one to take Altrincham Football Club forward?

Yes
- 28 (39.4%)
No
- 43 (60.6%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: November 02, 2016, 12:41:30 PM

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: The Board  (Read 36107 times)

Mausoleum Alty

The Board
« on: October 26, 2016, 01:41:30 PM »

Personally I'd say no. I've no idea who is but the current board have made too many irreversible errors and alienated the fans too many times now to continue.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: The Board
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 01:52:52 PM »

However this nightmare of a season ends, for the club to move forward together it will need people at the top who are not tainted by the recent catastrophic misjudgements. So if they have the best interests of the club at heart, the current board should be actively looking for people to whom to hand over the running of the club.

Teasierbeaver

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 02:02:30 PM »

Its more than Yes or No for me.

If they carry on isolating large groups of supporters and not making it clear how they intend to help pull us through this mess then they can go, and the sooner the better.

But I actually believe the best course of action is for them to start making a few changes and improving their accountability. It would be quicker, less painful and be a awful lot more valuable to the club if they did that than walk away and let someone else pick up the mess. They are watching all of their hard and amazing work off the pitch slide into irrelevance as each day passes and they rely on stubbornness to hold position and maintain its not their fault.

Time to man up basically

brinners

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 02:08:26 PM »

Until fairly recently I wouldn't even have asked the question. What is looking likely to be two consecutive relegations has completely changed my mind. There was some talk on the terraces last night of losing sponsorship deals should we go down. This would be intolerable and would reverse all the good work done for years.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 02:19:29 PM »

The board has done an excellent job steering the ship over the years, it takes a lot of time and effort, they do not get paid or take a dividend.

I do believe though we need some new investment coming in. If it will happen not sure but i hope it does, the club has to evolve.

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 02:27:20 PM »

Also some of the community projects are funded by the Conference Trust and they will also end with relegation. Something which the Board must be concerned about.

bumble

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 03:00:04 PM »

Many people don't feel inspired to help the current board. That says all it needs to me.

There either needs to be public change in personal, or a public change in attitude.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 03:03:32 PM by NWT Alty »

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 03:14:32 PM »

The board has done an excellent job steering the ship over the years, it takes a lot of time and effort, they do not get paid or take a dividend.

I do believe though we need some new investment coming in. If it will happen not sure but i hope it does, the club has to evolve.

I assume that you're excluding 2016 ?
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 03:28:35 PM »

I voted No.

My reasons for that vote are .......,They gave Toulson  the job when it was obvious that he had been part of the problem, then they did nothing to try and stave off relegation, then we had the NLP fiasco followed by the Chairman stating he was sorry to see NY leave the club when everyone else was hoping he would go, this was all topped off by a meet the board meeting where Mr Shaw gave me the impression he thought that half of us were stupid and I got the impression he treated some of the audience like we were something he discovered on the sole of his shoe..

Sadly their is a Chasm between most the fans and the board..

Graham Bennetts Perm

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 04:05:00 PM »

New ownership, new leadership and a new vision for the Club. All desperately needed. Each one can't be achieved without the other two.

A strong bond between supporters and the Club is also required now, as we potentially face a situation where attendances and income will plummet, but the overheads of course, won't.

It looks like there will be a new share issue at AFC Telford, the aim is to raise £0.5 million - we need something radical here too.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 04:40:37 PM »

i Dont blame the board or the previous one for our problems,just the opposite in fact.Our troubles started in the Burman era i think it was,when the club was almost broke.Thank god for GG and the GR for at least giving us the chance of a club still being here.What we do need is cash coming in that can bring in better players and not just bringing in someone quickly just because they are available and crap,at least Jim is not rushing into things.I thing we have to put this season to bed and settle for a mid table place and then push on next year from there.I have been watching Alty since 1963 and cannot remember such a bad squad as we have now.Why is Cyrus playing instead of Heathcote and the youg lad who came on at Torquay last season Saville where has he gone? he looked a tidy player.
Harold

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 04:46:42 PM »

How can you blame Gerry Berman for our current problems? Yes he left us in a mess financially but he never forgot that first and foremost we are a football club. We are also a million miles away from finishing mid table. Take off your rose tinted spectacles - we are in a mess and to blame a man who was last involved 14 years ago is laughable

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 04:47:36 PM »

I'm wary of being too critical to a group of people I do get along with, or at least have done. Neither do I want to be two faced in that regard. However, I support the football club, not whoever happens to be in charge at the time. And believe it or not, a few who appear overly personal about it (Jamie for one) are actually on the level about it too.

I'd say that for a variety of reasons over the past 18 months which are now actually too many to list and it doesn't feel like it does any good listing them anyway that from a footballing, community (as in understanding and relating to fans, not the local community), financial and long term planning viewpoint I have little or no confidence that our current board are capable of leading us forward effectively.

And even taking away that you can't rewrite history or undo decisions etc I don't even see any honesty, accountability , apologies or understanding that could ease some of these fears, just a closing of ranks and a dismissive attitude - which I should say is in many respects an understandable natural reaction - for all that I'm typing here I couldn't promise you I'd be a big enough man to react as I've suggested if I was to get the flak Grahame Rowley has.

Re the above - the one bit I do acknowledge is the board not using the Anthony Griffith farce as an excuse, that was good.

But Grahame's response last year that the way ahead was to get more volunteers and looking back wistfully at when we did have lots, showed me that the time has come to move forward, times do change even though lots of good work has been done and I hope our board individually and collectively are honest enough to evaluate whether they should be part of taking the club forward.

It feels like I've been putting money in buckets for 15 years (75% of my adult life) and there needs to be coherent reasons for that.

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 06:52:33 PM »

How can you blame Gerry Berman for our current problems? Yes he left us in a mess financially but he never forgot that first and foremost we are a football club. We are also a million miles away from finishing mid table. Take off your rose tinted spectacles - we are in a mess and to blame a man who was last involved 14 years ago is laughable

Would you say the success of the football team is more important that the financial stability of the club? (I suppose they go hand in hand to an extent)

Personally I can't fault the board for the way they've steered us into financial safety, they grow the club within its means and give the manager as much as possible to build a squad. I also don't understand how some can completely blame them for our failures on the pitch.

Firstly Tolson thought he could keep the team up, we don't know who might have been available at the time but if he comes to the board and says I can give this my best then fine. (It's a gamble no one can guarantee safety) if we'd gone for a completely new manager and he'd failed we might have been having a go at the board for committing to someone and giving them a big contract.

With hindsight the board got it wrong but I don't believe for a second that they just said "oh it's fine give Neil the job, that way we don't need to do anything more"

The big mistake was Neil Young, admittedly I'd guess it was another long process and again we don't know who the other candidates were but when a manager comes in and wants to get rid of a majority of the squad, bring in a lot youth players and heavily use the loan market then it rings alarm bells in my opinion. Many here thought it was a good appointment and agreed with the board so it just goes to show how difficult it can be to make the correct decision.

This is not me defending the board, there is a lot they need to work on I think but I'm just trying to get into their mindset  and see how they might view things in this regard. I'd also say to some be careful what you wish for, there were calls on here for Lee Sinnott to go after our first playoff defeat a few years ago. Change doesn't always equal success.

What a difference 5 points can make eh?

roytonmike

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 07:24:34 PM »

Would you say the success of the football team is more important that the financial stability of the club? (I suppose they go hand in hand to an extent)
Personally I can't fault the board for the way they've steered us into financial safety, they grow the club within its means and give the manager as much as possible to build a squad. I also don't understand how some can completely blame them for our failures on the pitch.
Firstly Tolson thought he could keep the team up, we don't know who might have been available at the time but if he comes to the board and says I can give this my best then fine. (It's a gamble no one can guarantee safety) if we'd gone for a completely new manager and he'd failed we might have been having a go at the board for committing to someone and giving them a big contract.
With hindsight the board got it wrong but I don't believe for a second that they just said "oh it's fine give Neil the job, that way we don't need to do anything more"
The big mistake was Neil Young, admittedly I'd guess it was another long process and again we don't know who the other candidates were but when a manager comes in and wants to get rid of a majority of the squad, bring in a lot youth players and heavily use the loan market then it rings alarm bells in my opinion. Many here thought it was a good appointment and agreed with the board so it just goes to show how difficult it can be to make the correct decision.
This is not me defending the board, there is a lot they need to work on I think but I'm just trying to get into their mindset  and see how they might view things in this regard. I'd also say to some be careful what you wish for, there were calls on here for Lee Sinnott to go after our first playoff defeat a few years ago. Change doesn't always equal success.
What a difference 5 points can make eh?
Excellent post, GolfRoader.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The Board