PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Morpeth at home in the cup.
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Morpeth at home in the cup.  (Read 10081 times)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Morpeth at home in the cup.
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2016, 03:36:23 PM »

Blyth is as close to a derby game as they're going to get, hopefully that was the key factor in Saturday's result.

Andy@Worcester

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2016, 08:06:54 PM »

Saw Morpeth play Hereford at Wembley in the FA Vase.

Hereford were no mugs with 3 or 4 ex-League players in their squad, including Rob Purdie, and with ex-City striker Mike Symons upfront, and Herefordshire was empty as they had 20,000 fans behind them.

Hereford took the lead early on, but the last hour Morpeth ran riot over them. Think they had a 45 year-old playing at centre-half with more metal inside him than the 6 million dollar man.

Dont know much more about Morpeth but they clearly have a cup mentality.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2016, 10:54:29 PM »

On the way to winning the FA Vase, I saw Morpeth knockout the holders, North Shields in the last 16. They are a very decent side with some good individual players, who have the capability of causing us problems. The victory at Blyth is not to be underestimated & they have momentum as a team & club at present. My son was at Croft Park on Saturday & was not surprised that 'Peth ran out victors.

It's a very interesting tie.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2016, 12:59:39 AM »

A colleague at work manages 1874 Northwich..........has done since they were formed. He told me today that they drew Morpeth in the Vase last year and he went up a week earlier and watched them. He reckons they will give anybody below Conf National 'a game'

1874 went on a Friday night and stayed over. He said it snowed in the night and the game was called off. Morpeth wanted the replay Wednesday night (which is understandable) and 1874 could not get a team of eleven first teamers together (due to time off work for players to travel ) and had to forfeit the tie
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 01:04:52 AM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2016, 01:12:50 AM »

On the way to winning the FA Vase, I saw Morpeth knockout the holders, North Shields in the last 16. They are a very decent side with some good individual players, who have the capability of causing us problems. The victory at Blyth is not to be underestimated & they have momentum as a team & club at present. My son was at Croft Park on Saturday & was not surprised that 'Peth ran out victors.

I bet that he didn't disclose his family connection to you to the natives......
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2016, 01:20:36 AM »

Saw Morpeth play Hereford at Wembley in the FA Vase.

Hereford were no mugs with 3 or 4 ex-League players in their squad, including Rob Purdie, and with ex-City striker Mike Symons upfront, and Herefordshire was empty as they had 20,000 fans behind them.

Hereford took the lead early on, but the last hour Morpeth ran riot over them. Think they had a 45 year-old playing at centre-half with more metal inside him than the 6 million dollar man.

Dont know much more about Morpeth but they clearly have a cup mentality.

There's still time for Gary Talbot or Darren Tinson to launch a comeback:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/05/23/45-year-old-miracle-man-chris-swailes-basks-in-glory-of-morpeth/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Swailes

« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 01:23:30 AM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

bumble

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2016, 07:26:56 AM »

People talking about Morpeth's quality, but judging by the highlights I'd be inclined to saytheir victory was down to dire defending from Blyth.

Andy@Worcester

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2016, 08:51:45 AM »

He reckons they will give anybody below Conf National 'a game'

Yeah, from what I saw, I would agree with that.

I know I've been spoiled by watching Worcester for many years ;-) ... but I would reckon the quality of this game was as good as many you would see at NN level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8WSD8098hE ... its a good 30 minutes of video material on Morpeth ... which is fair as they will be able to get your old vids online (minus the goals you score, of course) ;-)

If you cant be bothered to watch it all, Morpeth score three in about 15 minutes around half-time. I went with a fellow City fan and we reckoned both sides looked like they would have held their own in our league last year. The one player who looked out of his depth on the day was the Bull's 'keeper, who had something of a mare.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2016, 09:48:59 AM »

Whilst I'm sure they are a decent northern league outfit, let's not make this a self fulfilling prophecy. They got dicked 3-0 by midtable Penrith last week. Afford them full respect and attention, but it's Morpeth not Madrid. Do our jobs properly and we should be progressing.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2016, 10:03:24 AM »

Whilst I'm sure they are a decent northern league outfit, let's not make this a self fulfilling prophecy. They got dicked 3-0 by midtable Penrith last week. Afford them full respect and attention, but it's Morpeth not Madrid. Do our jobs properly and we should be progressing.

Real Morpeth. Has a ring to it

Lets get them beaten, move on to the next round whilst bolstering the kitty for the manager

GB Alty

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2016, 11:21:03 AM »

Not confident at all about this one, we will need a huge improvement to get through this

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2016, 01:35:06 PM »

I bet that he didn't disclose his family connection to you to the natives......

He always travels incognito to Croft Park!

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2016, 01:43:28 PM »

People talking about Morpeth's quality, but judging by the highlights I'd be inclined to saytheir victory was down to dire defending from Blyth.

That's a fair point, but I'm not sure that there are too many non-league  teams capable of scoring four times at Croft Park.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2016, 02:34:52 PM »

That's a fair point, but I'm not sure that there are too many non-league  teams capable of scoring four times at Croft Park.
we nailed blyth away that day ....
ParkINson's red and white army
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Morpeth at home in the cup.