injuries to key players
summer recruitment
lack of a leader on the pitch
refs / unlucky
LS tactics / team selection
not getting loan players n early enough
the board appointing NT

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Why are we in this mess  (Read 38457 times)

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Why are we in this mess
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2016, 10:57:52 AM »

I'm not in a position to say where the overall failings lie. I think as Wayne said earlier in the thread, though, there are more than likely a number of contributory factors.

However, what I find hard to reconcile is the recent interviews with Neil Tolson where he keeps intimating that there is basically nothing wrong. Is this just a smokescreen to try and maintain unity within the squad or does he actually believe that not a lot is wrong with the way we are playing? Tols is quite clearly a really nice guy and has done his best ever since he joined the club, but it does appear to me that we missed a big opportunity when LS left to move on from a regime where things had stopped working and gone stale.

I hate saying it, but I cannot see us winning again this season and, further to our relegation troubles, I genuinely fear for what next season holds for us. I long to be proved wrong and for Tolson to lead the team to three straight wins, but I just can't see it happening.

I'm not normally one to lean towards the negative side of things, but today is a very bad day to be an Alty fan.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 11:02:18 AM by Paul Cain's Chip Pan »
Come on Alty!

bumble

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2016, 11:00:29 AM »

this sums up my feelings for club right now.

taxi Phil

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2016, 01:28:50 PM »

this sums up my feelings for club right now.

Me too Jack. So disillusioned that I can't be arsed to go to home games even though I have a season ticket.

andrewflynn

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2016, 02:18:22 PM »

Its hard to pinpoint one reason as to why its come to this, for me its more an amalgamation of everything. I suppose you can try and set it out chronologically.

For the most part we competed comfortably at this level during 2014/2015. That league was much stronger than this one. We replaced Carl Rodgers with Peter Cavanagh, and additions like Sean Williams and Ryan Crowther turned out to be genuine squad improvements.

Losing the last four games of that season without looking remotely arsed about it was the beginning of a complacency rot. That rot continued into the 2015/2016 pre season when we replaced Peter Cavanagh with Anthony Griffith, and brought in the likes of Josh O'Keefe and George Bowerman as well advertised 'improvements.' Lazy signings that have ultimately defined the season.

Signing Michael Rankine was the wrong decision, too. Admittedly he's scored us some goals this season but I wouldn't say he's justified the money he's most likely on. He's been over-praised because he's been surrounded by consistent under-performers, making him look better than he is. He's a lazy player and a moaner, here to be the first name in the XI. Absolutely daft considering we have always had a prolific, proven goalscorer at the club in Damian Reeves. The money could have been spent elsewhere. Kyle Perry did enough during 2014/2015 to keep his place in the squad, it was only Steven Gillespie that needed replacing in my eyes.

Didn't we get lucky with Tim Deasy, though. Lucky in the sense that if we'd have lost Stuart Coburn for this long during 2014/2015 we'd have been in big trouble. That man has undoubtedly been our player of the season and without him our fate would have been sealed in early March.

So ultimately we started the 2015/2016 season having taken steps back in key areas within the squad. Still, I think we were all fairly confident that we had enough about us to be competitive in the Conference once again? I certainly was at the time. We ran Forest Green very close in the opening game, who have gone on to finish second. The Guiseley game was a shambles but we went on to record wins over Grimsby, Tranmere and Cheltenham. There was obviously enough about us to suggest we were fine, we just needed to sort out our performances against the sides we'd be scrapping with come Spring. Except we didn't.

We may be unbeaten against the current sides in the bottom four, but we've only actually recorded a victory against one team in the bottom 9. Boreham Wood. The failure to pick up the key points has once again put us in huge trouble, just as it did last season where if it wasn't for our form against the top half. 2014/2015 saw us pick up the points where those other teams did not, 2015/2016 has seen us just not pick up any points at all.

Now that would be disgraceful if Lee Sinnott had a complete squad at his disposal all season, but we were dealt an extremely poor hand with the injuries to Shaun Densmore, Tom Marshall and Nicky Clee. In Densmore we lost the only real leader we have in the squad, in Marshall we lost a marshal and most importantly of all without Clee we have had zero creativity and spark.

The role Anthony Griffith was signed to play should have been replaced the moment he did us over. Instead we dropped Jake Moult there. A right-back should have been brought in the moment we knew the extent of Densmore's injury. Instead we dropped Jordan Sinnott there. Likewise with Clee, we persevered with him when he was obviously very unfit. A Josh Ginnelly should have been signed instantly, and Clee should have been given time to rehabilitate. Instead we've ended up losing him for the season.

The failure to accept what we were sliding into as a result of these injuries has been catastrophic. There was an "it'll be alright next week" attitude around Christmas time with promising performances away at Tranmere pulling the wool over people's eyes. They made it seem like we weren't far away from where we needed to be, but all the while we were naming benches full of kids who had about as much chance of playing as I did. Not only did that give us no viable options to change games, but we started to run the same players into the ground week after week after week. While teams around us were upgrading, replacing and fitting square pegs into square holes we were making do with what we had in the hope that things would get better. Those of us who were pointing all of this out were villainised on here.

Obviously when things didn't get better it became apparent that Lee had lost his dressing room. Probably the right decision for himself when he left, and it should been for us too. The moment I saw the statement from the club, in its apologetic tone, highlighting the injuries for the team's misfortune... I pretty much knew what we were destined for. Shortly after, we find out it will be Lee's assistant in the cockpit and so began Air Alty's nose dive.

I think that's been the biggest thing for me. The slow acceptance of doom, or at least that's the sort of vibe I've gotten from Altrincham FC since Christmas. We had a chance to bring in a manager and get out of a mess that was, at the time, fairly easy to escape from. The simple fact of the matter is the club, over the course of the season, haven't done anywhere near enough to keep us in the division. Be it not improving the squad from 2014/2015, to not bringing in reinforcements during the injury crisis, to not bringing in a manager when our's up and left. The whole thing has been one big act of consolidation.

At least they can't say we didn't get behind them. The support from the fans this season has been superb regardless. They've been backed across the country by the same 50-100 souls who have the absolute right to be disgusted at the way the campaign has ended.

Three, extremely unlikely, consecutive wins and survival in this league will not put any rose tint on the way this season has played out. Big changes needed next season regardless of the level we are competing at.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2016, 02:35:44 PM »

A very concise, well thought out and pretty accurate posting. It's taken a long time for a very patient and accepting fan base to ask questions. If you take a look to see the vitriol being spouted and shouted at Grimsby and Halifax today after their latest defeats last night, if it shows anything it's that we're probably the most accepting supporters in the top 5 divisions

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2016, 02:48:35 PM »

Pretty much bang on Ryan Crowthers Immune System
Full time and proud of it

bighairedmike

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2016, 02:55:15 PM »

I haven't voted in this group because no single reason is to blame and I didn't think anybody needed to read my ramblings on why all of them are the reason we're here in the drop zone.

Superbly put that man, and I'm in 100% agreement.

The board need to sit up and take note, the divide between them and the fans is huge at this moment in time, and I am genuinely worried that this rift could become unrepairable. I personally think we need a fans forum, open and honest, and the board, management and players should all be there.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2016, 04:22:28 PM »

Do any of the solutions involve money we haven't got? The balance sheet is £30K in the red remember.

Perhaps you would like to borrow the money on the clubs behalf?

Fixing things will involve starting over.
In the meantime it will be fun playing Stockport again.

Jimmy

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2016, 04:33:41 PM »

That's partly because they've built a social club twice the size it needs to be,and it won't be fun playing Stockport

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2016, 05:33:48 PM »

Fans forum to held half way through race night
Full time and proud of it

GB Alty

« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2016, 05:47:08 PM »

Fans forum to held half way through race night
Why half way through? Should be at 5pm whilst there's still people there!

Hulme Robin

« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2016, 06:30:27 PM »

A very concise, well thought out and pretty accurate posting. It's taken a long time for a very patient and accepting fan base to ask questions. If you take a look to see the vitriol being spouted and shouted at Grimsby and Halifax today after their latest defeats last night, if it shows anything it's that we're probably the most accepting supporters in the top 5 divisions

We are like buddhist monks on fire sitting calmly.

f**k that!

TOLSON OUT!

arnald

« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2016, 06:49:42 PM »

Grimsby and halifax are bigger clubs I think we've done our best this season with no money
And injuries the team always played to there best ability for me

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2016, 07:22:15 PM »

I wasn't going to post but how does anyone think we can bring someone in that quickly at this stage of the season whether it is desirable or not?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2016, 07:27:59 PM »

Look at the 7 and 17 on the picture on the main site. Awful defending.

Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Why are we in this mess