PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 An honest & polite man
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: An honest & polite man  (Read 17955 times)

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: An honest & polite man
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2016, 02:09:46 PM »

I think the people who are saying that LS must have resigned are doing so out of sentiment. It seems perfectly clear from his comments after the Gateshead match that his thoughts weren't tending that way at all. As I read it, he was sacked but the club rightly wanted to put it in kinder terms than that.

I too would like to thank LS for all he's done at the club and wish him well for the future. I wonder, when he reflects on his time at Alty, whether he might think that he could have thrown himself into the life of the club a bit more? The relationship between a manager and the fans is in part an emotional one but LS always seemed too distant and impassive for us to really take him to heart. The fact that we barely ever sung songs about him always struck me as significant. Of course a manager has to be himself and do the job in his own way but I do think he could have shown more of himself - when he was appointed, GR picked out his enthusiasm as a key point but that wasn't a quality that ever came across particularly. I'm sure it was there but we never saw it. I think if he could pepper his calmness and dignity with a bit of blood and thunder now and again, he'd be a better and more inspiring manager for it.

AFC56

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2016, 02:27:29 PM »

I think the people who are saying that LS must have resigned are doing so out of sentiment. It seems perfectly clear from his comments after the Gateshead match that his thoughts weren't tending that way at all. As I read it, he was sacked but the club rightly wanted to put it in kinder terms than that.

I too would like to thank LS for all he's done at the club and wish him well for the future. I wonder, when he reflects on his time at Alty, whether he might think that he could have thrown himself into the life of the club a bit more? The relationship between a manager and the fans is in part an emotional one but LS always seemed too distant and impassive for us to really take him to heart. The fact that we barely ever sung songs about him always struck me as significant. Of course a manager has to be himself and do the job in his own way but I do think he could have shown more of himself - when he was appointed, GR picked out his enthusiasm as a key point but that wasn't a quality that ever came across particularly. I'm sure it was there but we never saw it. I think if he could pepper his calmness and dignity with a bit of blood and thunder now and again, he'd be a better and more inspiring manager for it.

Spot on, totally agree

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2016, 03:18:22 PM »

I think the people who are saying that LS must have resigned are doing so out of sentiment.

No they arent.

Jimmy

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2016, 03:47:31 PM »

Wouldn't surprise me if he walked we have an incedibley patient board

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2016, 04:02:12 PM »

I think the people who are saying that LS must have resigned are doing so out of sentiment.

No they arent.

Do you know something we don't then?

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2016, 04:22:31 PM »

similarly the chairman was tweeting about the horrendous state gateshead left the changing room in, doesn't strike me as the hing to do just before you pick up the phone, perhaps something happened overnight in one of their minds
Bernard Taylors barmy army

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2016, 04:24:04 PM »

Excellent post.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2016, 04:35:11 PM »

I'm not really fussed whether he was jumped or pushed. It doesn't matter.

The right decision has been reached. The board or LS could've decided the change was needed. Equally if LS didn't resign and backed himself to still keep us up then that would've been a reasonable viewpoint too. Things aren't great but we aren't bottom of the league on a ten game losing run so it's not like his position was totally untenable just that on balance of probabilities a reasonably correct decision has been made, and with still enough time for us to sort ourselves out.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2016, 04:51:35 PM »

I'm not really fussed whether he was jumped or pushed. It doesn't matter.

The right decision has been reached. The board or LS could've decided the change was needed. Equally if LS didn't resign and backed himself to still keep us up then that would've been a reasonable viewpoint too. Things aren't great but we aren't bottom of the league on a ten game losing run so it's not like his position was totally untenable just that on balance of probabilities a reasonably correct decision has been made, and with still enough time for us to sort ourselves out.

I think it does matter in terms of what it tells us about the our chairman.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2016, 04:59:03 PM »

Just probably that he's not very good at press releases, nothing major.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2016, 01:06:28 AM »

Just probably that he's not very good at press releases, nothing major.

Doesn't he have two press officers to take care of that on his behalf though?

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2016, 06:43:20 PM »

I have nothing but praise and respect for Lee and wish him all the best for the future. A gentleman in every way, not at all common in this day and age especially in football management.
Its obvious to me that Lee did his best and chose to leave and he is clearly hoping in the last 11 games that someone else might be able to keep us up.
Who that is or could be I have no idea.
I agree absolutely with the first and last lines above. As for the middle, I'm afraid I read the rather opaque club statement differently, but that is in a sense neither here nor there. Always approachable, pleasant & courteous, and honest in his assessment of performances. I too wish him well.

He walked.

Oh dear.

It looks like you need to find a new 'Deep Throat' to inform you about what's really happening at the club...!

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2016, 07:02:37 PM »

Jeff Stepping said he was sacked,  so therefore  he was sacked.
'
Full time and proud of it

GB Alty

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2016, 07:29:52 PM »

Jeff Stepping said he was sacked,  so therefore  he was sacked.
'
we really have lost our way this week haven't we

Whatever happens on the field, it is clear we need a clean sweep off it. Whats going on now isn't good enough for Altrincham FC surely
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 An honest & polite man