PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Barrow - Match thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Barrow - Match thread  (Read 41383 times)

Bath Alty

Re: Barrow - Match thread
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2016, 03:19:23 PM »

Tolson appointment makes much more sense to me now after that statement.

GR was perfectly happy with the management team, his opinion is open to challenge, but given that would appear to be the case the rest of it makes sense.  Lee resigned, Neil didn't, so do we sack Neil because Lee resigned - no because that would be unfair on Neil - perfectly reasonable statement and approach.

So now we either get a new manager in from nowhere - GR was happy with LS so won't have been sounding out any other managers - or we promote Neil to provide continuity, which if GR was happy with the management isn't a problem as far as he is concerned.

It also explains all the stuff in the original statement about injuries.

Clearly if the original statement had included the word 'resigned' it would have been much clearer from the start.

Personally I would have given Neil the job until we got a new number one in place rather than till the end of the season given Neil is on record as saying he didn't see himself as a manager.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2016, 03:30:40 PM »

GR was perfectly happy with the management team, his opinion is open to challenge, but given that would appear to be the case the rest of it makes sense.  Lee resigned, Neil didn't, so do we sack Neil because Lee resigned - no because that would be unfair on Neil - perfectly reasonable statement and approach.

So now we either get a new manager in from nowhere - GR was happy with LS so won't have been sounding out any other managers - or we promote Neil to provide continuity, which if GR was happy with the management isn't a problem as far as he is concerned.

Clearly if the original statement had included the word 'resigned' it would have been much clearer from the start.

Personally I would have given Neil the job until we got a new number one in place rather than till the end of the season given Neil is on record as saying he didn't see himself as a manager.

I think that's a very astute analysis.

The big problem then is the lack of clarity in the original announcement, which led many of us to believe that the chairman had taken an unpleasant but necessary decision to give us the best possible chance of avoiding relegation. That was a real boost to the fans' morale, as was the prospect of a 'new manager bounce'. But now that's been revealed as a mirage, it feels much worse than it would have done had we just been told that LS had resigned in the first place.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2016, 04:10:28 PM »

I think now we know the facts then I can see why Neil has been given a chance. Lets hope he takes it and we get enough points to stay in the league.

Two training sessions before the next game so plenty they can work on.

GB Alty

« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2016, 04:41:20 PM »

it's the fact that GR was happy with the management team even thinking they were doing wonderful work which upsets and concerns me.

One thing though after all this is like Leon I have much more respect for LS now, unfortunately any respect I had for those running the club has gone out of the window

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2016, 05:06:44 PM »

At the end of the day guys, whether or not you agree with NT being named as caretaker boss is neither here nor there. If the players are making errors that lead to goals then it doesn't matter who is coaching them. They are good enough to keep us up if they fight for every game.

In the cold light of day its the players and them alone who will/or not,  get us out of this hole we are presently in.

In truth,  I have to say, we should put aside our differences about the club officials/coaches and players and for the next 10 games as we need (as a club) to support whoever is at the helm.

As most of you are aware, both myself and Jill are currently unable attend games but rest assured we are with you all in Spirit if not in person.

Perhaps we all should wait until 30 April then vent our opinions one way or another when we will know for sure where we are at.

Meanwhile lets let the lads know we are behind them for the run in...

C'mon Alty

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2016, 06:06:12 PM »

I will continue to support the team as always (though I'm glad there aren't any games I can get to for a while, to be honest) but this week's events have left me feeling as disillusioned with our club as I can remember being for a long time. Neil Tolson may be a nice guy for all I know but the decision to give him the manager's job is shocking, misguided and unjustifiable in footballing terms.

I share your pain. Laurence.

40+ years as an Alty supporter and I'm now seriously questioning exactly for whose benefit this club is being run and where the Chairman's priorities lie.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 06:11:18 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2016, 06:10:02 PM »

I see precious little value in promoting "continuity" when that route was already leading us inexorably towards relegation though.

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Bath Alty

« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2016, 06:33:40 PM »

I didn't say I agreed with it, I said I understood it.

When we thought LS was sacked giving Neil the job made no sense at all

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2016, 06:40:50 PM »

I didn't say I agreed with it, I said I understood it.

When we thought LS was sacked giving Neil the job made no sense at all

OK, I see where you are coming from.

Apologies for any damage incurred to your reputation!

VofD

« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2016, 07:24:40 PM »

At the end of the day guys, whether or not you agree with NT being named as caretaker boss is neither here nor there. If the players are making errors that lead to goals then it doesn't matter who is coaching them. They are good enough to keep us up if they fight for every game.

In the cold light of day its the players and them alone who will/or not,  get us out of this hole we are presently in.

In truth,  I have to say, we should put aside our differences about the club officials/coaches and players and for the next 10 games as we need (as a club) to support whoever is at the helm.

As most of you are aware, both myself and Jill are currently unable attend games but rest assured we are with you all in Spirit if not in person.

Perhaps we all should wait until 30 April then vent our opinions one way or another when we will know for sure where we are at.

C'mon Alty

Exactly.

Beaver

« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2016, 07:36:04 PM »

C'mon Alty

Exactly.

Not exactly though is it. The players will line up and play the way the manager tells them. They'll draw confidence from their boss.

I'm afraid that we're doomed and I would be delighted if I'm proven wrong.

I want success more than anything for Tolson and the players. Good luck to them!

Jimmy

« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2016, 07:46:12 PM »

Indeed beaver correct,if that was the case anyone could manage us,oh wait they are doing

taxi Phil

« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2016, 09:35:48 PM »

I'm a little worried about Tolson's assertion in his post match interview that "Jordan Sinnott is really a full back". While he's done a pretty good job there this season, the way Gateshead's winger ripped him a new one rather undermines that opinion. I'm seriously considering not bothering next season.

VofD

« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2016, 09:43:21 PM »

I'm a little worried about Tolson's assertion in his post match interview that "Jordan Sinnott is really a full back". While he's done a pretty good job there this season, the way Gateshead's winger ripped him a new one rather undermines that opinion. I'm seriously considering not bothering next season.

Phil,

I reckon if we go down, there could well be other fans, myself included (32 years a supporter), considering the same thing. >:( >:(

GB Alty

« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2016, 11:29:19 PM »

Phil,

I reckon if we go down, there could well be other fans, myself included (32 years a supporter), considering the same thing. >:( >:(
fully, agree I nearly 35 years a supporter but not sure I will be going again as things stand
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Barrow - Match thread