PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Lee what are you doing?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Lee what are you doing?  (Read 18234 times)

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Lee what are you doing?
« on: January 23, 2016, 04:35:33 PM »

I need another rant as it needs addressing sooner rather than later.

If by any chance you read the forum then do what a manager should be doing and look at statistics this season. Look at our results playing 4-4-2.

We needed a third energetic, strong box to box centre midfield to play alongside Richman, with Moult doing what he does best breaking down attacks in front of the back 4 as a defensive midfielder.

I believe Sam Heathcote could become a good player but he needs to toughen up and I think the Vanarama National League is too much of a big step at this moment. Lee should have looked at another centre back whilst Havern is having an up and down season with performances and injury and with Marshall way off fitness.

I have been to most home games and a couple of the away games and it is clear from what I have seen that we are not good enough playing 4-4-2, we are far too open and teams run right through us, we also revert back to long ball to Rankine.  It does not work. Lee always states that he wants us to pass and play the ball up the field but his current tactics do not indicate this.

GK
RB       CB       CB       LB
                        DM
                     CM       
                        AM
RW                            LW
         CF
DM Moult – Sitting in front of the back four.

CM Richman – Plenty of energy closing players down – this position covers all the area in-between the defence and attacking players.

AM - Should have been new loan player but maybe Lawrie but I fear he has not got the stamina or strength to play box to box.This position is higher than Richman and Moult but still involves defensive cover and an attacking option. I say Lawrie because his best position is central and he can find that killer past but he’s a very soft player.

We attack a lot better having one up front, all season our centre midfield has needed reinforcement, I appreciate Griffith did our legs but we have brought in 3 loan players and I appreciate we needed wide players after we lost our most attacking and creative player in Clee but we are shipping in goals and we need players to close opposition attacks down.

I am so frustrated that we continue with 4-4-2, football has moved forward and we are trying to compete with full time teams with an outdated 4-4-2 formation. Lee and the players need to sort this out because we can not go back down into that terrible league.

Even at home I would play one up top. We need to become solid. In football it does not mean we will score more goals having two players up top, especially when we struggle getting it up there to them.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 04:48:05 PM by oneedham »

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
Re: Lee what are you doing?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 05:00:11 PM »

I wouldn't take much notice of what we do away against an in form Grimsby side but agree with you that 442 isn't our best formation by quite a way. I'd personally give Lawrie a proper stint at attacking midfield.

jhcorbett

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 05:03:14 PM »

Agree 100%.
The fact the manager has brought in a forward on loan suggests either he can't see this or is too stubborn to change. Either way if he carries on doing it we will get relegated and he will have to go.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 05:34:11 PM »

As stated,  losing at Grimsby wont get us relegated,  playing 442 will.

Full time and proud of it

Bath Alty

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 05:45:50 PM »

As will trying to play the rest of the season with this back 4 and no cover or support for them

ripleym

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 05:52:00 PM »

I don't know what formation we played when we went down 5-0.to Barnet last season, was it a 4-4-2 where we had a go?

We haven't previously had the personnel to make a 4-4-2 effective, but now we find ourselves with 2 promising wingers and a couple of poaching forwards to support the big man, alongside Moult's defensive minded midfield play and Richman's box to box energy.  Plus O'keefe to supplement that.

Is that not worth a go?

Stats people, please chip in.  Yes, we have lost this season playing 4-4-2, but what are our results with the 4-5-1 against both top teams and teams around us?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 06:01:30 PM by SemiProTog »

Jimmy

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 06:23:28 PM »

Last season playing 4 4 2 cost us a midtable position I hope this year it's not more costly

andrewflynn

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 06:42:47 PM »

It's so blatantly obvious as well. When I'm home I'll get some stats together about the 4-4-2 / 4-5-1 comparison.

brian1925

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 06:57:30 PM »

But WHY is 4-4-2 not working? With Jake and Simon in midfield it really ought to be, especially with the two wingers. I've always pushed for 4-5-1 on here with Lawrie behind Reeves or Rankine, but I just don't understand why we seem to be so bad when we play two up tops. I'd be inclined to blame our numerous defensive injuries at the moment, but we couldn't play 4-4-2 even when Tom and Dens were fit! Please let's just hope that Grimsby are bloody good and that our three loanees were just a bit cold today. I'll be more worried if the forum topics are like this after the Woking game. You just get the feeling that if we could win just one, the confidence would flow, especially in the younger players. Having said that, it's pretty obvious we need another cb - even if it means playing Ranks there.

ripleym

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 07:16:29 PM »

Woking will be another tough game, albeit we will be at.home.  However, no home games in 2 months doesn't necessarily mean home advantage.

I would still be inclined to go again with this setup, and have a go at them.

GB Alty

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 07:48:28 PM »

But WHY is 4-4-2 not working? With Jake and Simon in midfield it really ought to be, especially with the two wingers. I've always pushed for 4-5-1 on here with Lawrie behind Reeves or Rankine, but I just don't understand why we seem to be so bad when we play two up tops. I'd be inclined to blame our numerous defensive injuries at the moment, but we couldn't play 4-4-2 even when Tom and Dens were fit! Please let's just hope that Grimsby are bloody good and that our three loanees were just a bit cold today. I'll be more worried if the forum topics are like this after the Woking game. You just get the feeling that if we could win just one, the confidence would flow, especially in the younger players. Having said that, it's pretty obvious we need another cb - even if it means playing Ranks there.
because our players are not good enough, few are conf prem standard......thats WHY

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 07:49:06 PM »

I just made the same comment about Ranks on another post .

GB Alty

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 07:51:26 PM »

Jesus wept

We sh*t at 4-4-2

Play it and we go down for sure

Jimmy

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 07:58:15 PM »

Woking will be another tough game, albeit we will be at.home.  However, no home games in 2 months doesn't necessarily mean home advantage.

mike you can have a go not playing 4 4 2 the most entertaining sides in Europe don't play 4 4 2

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 02:02:20 AM »

Hours later, still pissed off and I have no right to be because I have not done the distance some have. Respect. However, Lee you and the players need to roll your sleeves up, get dirty and f**king have it. All of you grow some bollocks or I'll come out of retirement with Eddie and Val and smash the league.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Lee what are you doing?