PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 21 Year wait Over
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 21 Year wait Over  (Read 10741 times)

York Alty

arnald

Re: 21 Year wait Over
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2015, 09:34:00 PM »

what anice bloke

brian1925

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2015, 09:34:46 PM »

He sounds like a decent bloke - hope it works out ok for both him and Barnsley FC. Their fans definitely deserve better than what we all saw today.

arnald

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2015, 09:43:22 PM »

I reckon he shud stay at Barnsley 4ever very good man

VofD

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2015, 10:17:59 PM »

I reckon he'll be sacked on Monday. :(

York Alty

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2015, 10:19:48 PM »

I reckon he'll be sacked on Monday. :(

Yeah, me too.

taxi Phil

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2015, 10:47:19 PM »

If I was his chairman, he'd be going for using three simultaneous substitutes with loads of time left, and with one or two left on who weren't fully fit. If LS did that he'd be crucified on here !

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2015, 11:38:07 PM »

Did he know are injury problems?
Sure he did, but didn't mention them.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2015, 04:51:41 PM »

Being an older fan who has seen most of our previous scalps, the most pleasing thing for me today was seeing all our younger fans enjoying this and having a slice of the glory.

Ian,

I think that you make an excellent point here.

You really have to be aged circa 30+ in order to have a clear memory of our defeat of Wigan Athletic in December 1994 and there are plenty of younger Alty regulars for whom the victory over Barnsley constituted their first taste of some significant FA Cup success for the club.

These are exactly the type of games that can infiltrate the soul and get you truly hooked on Alty's fortunes.

It happened for me back on 24th November 1973 when the Robins recorded a memorable 2-0 FA Cup triumph over Hartlepool at Moss Lane......and I'm still here almost 42 years later!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2015, 04:57:31 PM »

Yeah we know cult :o

My first FA cup game was Everton away in 75 I think and that ignited my interest, by 1977 I was a regular home and away!

Also, I remember getting into the ground at half time in the mid sixties and we were losing 4-0 I think,... to Chorley, and it ended 4-4 with Jackie Swindells getting all 4 of our goals.
My memory is pretty sketchy, could you find that game and the date of it? I would love to recall it better.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2015, 05:04:56 PM »

Yeah we know cult :o

My first FA cup game was Everton away in 75 I think and that ignited my interest, by 1977 I was a regular home and away!

Also, I remember getting into the ground at half time in the mid sixties and we were losing 4-0 I think,... to Chorley, and it ended 4-4 with Jackie Swindells getting all 4 of our goals.
My memory is pretty sketchy, could you find that game and the date of it? I would love to recall it better.

I presume that this is the game in question:

3rd April 1971

Northern Premier League

Altrincham...4  Chorley...4

The Robins' goalscorers were Barry Ashworth (2), Tony McLoughlin and Jackie Swindells.

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2015, 10:13:30 PM »

Thanks Cult, I thought it was earlier but could be right, Swindells did get the 4th then! I used to get in at half time when the gates were opened. Do you know the half time score of that game?

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2015, 11:29:47 AM »

It happened for me back on 24th November 1973 when the Robins recorded a memorable 2-0 FA Cup triumph over Hartlepool at Moss Lane......and I'm still here almost 42 years later!

I was there too. I seem to recall there was quite a bit of argy bargy inside and outside the ground as was the way in the 70s.

I particularly remember that cup run which ended in the 2nd round replay against Blackburn on a Wednesday afternoon. It was during the 3-day week so no floodlights were allowed. I seem to recall the ground being packed.

Jezza

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2015, 12:21:42 PM »

My first was sC**thorpe away....can remember being completely overawed by the huge football league floodlights......

So as one lucky enough to have gone on from there to witness shock after shock from bramhall lane to white hart lane and st andrews......I hope those of whom were witnessing their first or 2nd FA Cup giantkilling are similarly lucky and we carry on in the traditional way with red flags flying and silkmen dying....

I thought saturday was just as special as all those memorable games, in some ways more special because of the wait, but there really is a feel of a new generation of alty fans...bigger in number and louder of voice than before perhaps.....

Oh and chris sharrant one of the best players to wear an alty shirt????.....well he scored a memorable fa cup winner and is written into our folklore, but he would not get into my all time best XI nor the 2nd best XI

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2015, 06:08:03 PM »

Thanks Cult, I thought it was earlier but could be right, Swindells did get the 4th then! I used to get in at half time when the gates were opened. Do you know the half time score of that game?

Sorry but I can't help you out there.

No helpful notes in my copy of the match programme, I'm afraid.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 21 Year wait Over