PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Non-Alty: Black coaches in football
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Non-Alty: Black coaches in football  (Read 6987 times)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: November 05, 2015, 01:32:47 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34730265

Perennial Alty knobsock of the year Frankie has even waded in, surprisingly AGAINST Townsend from Kick It Out's stance - saying such accusations could be damaging in the long term.

I genuinely don't know where I stand on this one.  The 25% player / 4% coach stat really stands out, but I'd love to know the proportions when it comes to who are actually taking the badges in the first place.

I remember reading an article recently where the journalist had gone along to the 'A' licence meeting and there was next to no minority candidates - surely can't be a money thing (these badges are expensive) when it comes to black ex-players...?

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Alty: Black coaches in football
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 02:10:26 PM »

Some people want to be football managers, some don't. Some are good football managers, some aren't. Some players want to stay in the game when they've finished, some don't. This Rooney rule and this whole debate (in general not your thread) is very troubling. The best man/women for any job should be just that, be they green red back purple blue white whatever. A "quoter" system in anything is division and segregation in itself... A bad workman always blames his tools.

Jenga

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 02:31:57 PM »

Some people want to be football managers, some don't. Some are good football managers, some aren't. Some players want to stay in the game when they've finished, some don't. This Rooney rule and this whole debate (in general not your thread) is very troubling. The best man/women for any job should be just that, be they green red back purple blue white whatever. A "quoter" system in anything is division and segregation in itself... A bad workman always blames his tools.

Agreed, best man/woman for the job gets it.

OldhamAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 03:06:53 PM »

Considering some of the absolute prats (John Carver!) who've been appointed football managers I think it's being a bit generous to say that boards left to their own devices appoint anything like the best man/woman.

Would disagree with a quota (how would that even work when there's only one manager per club), but agree that 25 % player 4 % coach does stand out.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 03:08:48 PM by OldhamAlty »

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 03:13:15 PM »

Should never be quotas for anything in a 'work situation'.............it is discriminatory in itself to deny an ideal candidate a role because you need to fill a quota..........that said this 25%/4% ting is rather strange

However why would a Chairman not employee a black person as a manager if they were an outstanding candidate ? As a Chairman I would want success (or at least a reasonable return of success on the money I spend) and I would not care who achieved it or what colour they were, as long as they did. This is why people employ the likes of Steve Evans
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 03:16:37 PM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 03:18:11 PM »

However the Rooney rule isnt a quota it is only an agreement to interview at least one ethnic minority candidate, seems to make sense to me - some appointment boards just need to open their eyes to the potential of what is out there.  Still is best person for the job
Bernard Taylors barmy army

taxi Phil

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 03:34:14 PM »

That I totally agree with Pete is par for the course. That I actually find Frank Sinclair talking sense is the only surprise here.

taxi Phil

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 03:36:42 PM »

Perhaps Rossendale Council should operate the Rooney Rule in reverse on licence applications. They might just get some English speaking white drivers (stumps off cursing into his beard.....)

ripleym

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 03:50:57 PM »

Playing devil's advocate, is one of the reasons that we don't see many black coaches because as players they suffer all manner of abuse still, and don't feel the need to want to stay in the game to get more of the same, or perhaps more, because they are a more visible target?

Jimmy

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 04:16:17 PM »

It's not the 80s black players don't get abuse in this country thankfully.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 04:30:23 PM »

I would imagine that Les Ferdinand being Director of Football at QPR must've had quite a say in sacking the manager so I think we can discount that one.

Beaver

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 08:52:42 PM »

The Rooney rule is daft, it does nothing to cure an issue of perception that black players won't be bothered about being managers etc after their playing career.

When was the last time you saw pundits singling out a black player and saying 'he's nailed on to be a manager'. I think there's definitely some deep rooted issue. But I'm sure it just needs a bit of education and also encouragement for all players regardless of what they are to do their coaching badges.

Its got to be best person for the job regardless of what they are, and it makes a mockery of minority coaches to suggest they need a leg up. There just isn't enough encouragement and support when people are looking for their next stage in life/career.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 12:02:58 AM »

To be fair Ramsey has been heading for the sack now at QPR for weeks, with their squad and budget simply not good enough. Powell at Huddersfield, who are a fairly small club by Championship standards is harsh though.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 12:30:28 AM »

However the Rooney rule isnt a quota it is only an agreement to interview at least one ethnic minority candidate, seems to make sense to me - some appointment boards just need to open their eyes to the potential of what is out there.  Still is best person for the job

I agree with this.

People aren't perfectly rational (not to say they're massive racists or anything).

Boards are still allowed to reject anyone after interview, can't really see the harm in it.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Jenga

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 09:07:42 AM »

I have to say that i do disagree with black coaches in football, they shouldn't be allowed. On hot days they get so hot inside, especially if the air conditioning isn't working. You never see a Megabus in black, they are always blue and national express seem to be white. Even Go Goodwins are burgandy and blue.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team