News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Early thoughts

Author Topic: Early thoughts  (Read 6163 times)

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Early thoughts
« on: August 08, 2015, 05:28:11 PM »

Never attend pre-season as it doesn’t really matter.

Early thoughts...... good in parts in the first half but awful in the second.

We are still better playing the 4-5-1 with two high wide players i.e. Clee and probably Bowerman.

We need to look for a centre mid because in 80 mins I already know that most games in this league will past O’Keefe by. I appreciate it is one game but I am confident he’s not as good as Williams or even Wilkinson. When we play three in centre mid then Moult must always be the defensive midfield so that means no place for Griffin so we need a more attack minded player.

Lawrie is not a wide player as we all know, I wanted to slap him today soooo soft in his approach and more interested in the foul rather than winning the ball. His only position in an Alty team is behind Reevesy.

Rankine can obviously play but again a big man up front takes away our passing again, second half didn’t involve any passing, just long balls. A big man to me is an impact player but he isn’t here to sit on the bench. We must remember Reeves is our main man up top.

I thought Sinnott had a good game but I am still very much undecided.

The defence stood up well, our 5 defenders at the club are very much good enough just worry about cover.

And finally, as always, we missed Richman and Clee.

Oh, please push out quicker, we seemed to have a line of players just waiting for the balls to keep coming back in.

Onwards and upwards

Seth

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
Re: Early thoughts
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 06:38:42 PM »

I agree with this, why Rankine is trying to play centre back on set pieces I don't know. Except Lawrie can play on the wing, he's just inconsistent. He can play brilliantly on the wing sometimes, it's weird.

Trouty

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 07:46:58 PM »

I thought O'Keefe had a better game than Moult today who's passing was awful at times but maybe Moult was missing Richman doing the dirty work for him.

Everyone knows that Lawrie cant play out wide, especially on the left but he keeps getting played there.

Why was O'Keefe left to mark Parkin at corners and not Marshall? Parkin was holding him down to score but header was right in the corner so no real chance for Coburn.

Referee made a lot of strange decisions today for both sides and FGR seemed quite content to punt the ball as high up in the air as they could and hope for the best.

Didn't play well today but don't think we deserved to lose the game

Jimmy

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 08:08:18 PM »

I agree with this, why Rankine is trying to play centre back on set pieces I don't know. Except Lawrie can play on the wing, he's just inconsistent. He can play brilliantly on the wing sometimes, it's weird.
Lawrie is awfull on the wing if he doesn't play behind the forward where he is good he shouldn't play

ALTYGAL

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 08:50:52 PM »

Underwhelmed!

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 09:52:31 PM »

Hope to be proven wrong but from first evaluation O'Keefe is missing three big attributes which is energy, pace and strength. Early doors so I want him to prove me wrong. We need a centre mid in the mould of Steve Connors but who can stay fit haha!

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 12:04:29 AM »

Being totally honest I thought we were a tad unlucky today against most bokkie's favourites for the title (I'm told)

Once and only once did what seems to be a zonal marking system come adrift and that was the goal.

Admittedly we didn't cause them huge problems but arguably their keeper was the busier of the two even if most of what he had to do was mundane.

Don't recall Stuey scrambling around making save after save, nor the frame of our goal getting a battering.

Clearly not an ideal start but if we get Ringo and Nicky Clee back sooner rather than later I am less concerned than I anticipated that I might have been at this juncture

andrewflynn

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 04:35:04 PM »

Lawrie is awfull on the wing if he doesn't play behind the forward where he is good he shouldn't play

Pretty much Lawrie in a nut shell but without Clee I think he starts on the left. I'd have him over Crowther. At least Lawrie can do something once he's cut inside. Crowther cuts inside and goes backwards.

Jezza

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 07:43:15 PM »

Once and only once did what seems to be a zonal marking system come adrift and that was the goal.

Is that not like saying only once did a seemingly unsinkable hull get breached by an iceberg and that was the sinking...??

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 09:18:16 PM »

Is that not like saying only once did a seemingly unsinkable hull get breached by an iceberg and that was the sinking...??
It reminds me of my 11 year old son complaining that I wont let him walk to school on his own because he does not look properly while crossing roads.
He says its not fair because one day I caught him crossing in between cars without looking (I was watching for cars but he didn't know that). He insists the other 9 times he crossed the road that day he was looking but I wasn't there to check!!!! Hopefully I will get through to him that some things in life don't allow for mistakes.

markecky

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 01:44:29 PM »

First half I thought there was little in it a tiny bit more luck in the six yard box and we could have gone in leading (just).  

Didn't see any gulf in class first half which there should be when you look at the resources they have and we were coping with most things well.  

Second half they seemed to crank it up and we just had no answer, you can't have that many corners and not score one as a full time side, I know we probably wouldn't but they should have routines they work on all week.  

Disappointing after keeping them out for so long to score with a simple header.

They deserved the win on the basis of the second half in my book and it was disappointing that we didn't even come close to looking like scoring in the second half.

Thought Jordan had a decent game and I hope he will build on that, still believe he can put a great ball in when needed.

Rankine was a menace first half but we have to learn how to play off him, was impressed again by his good feet that you often don't find in a big lump.  

However at one point he had three around him and still had the ball which means there should have been people running off him free.  If we continue to play two up top then I think him and Reevesie will work well together when they get an understanding going.

O'Keefe was average but I think he will improve as well.

I think they will beat a lot of teams 1-0, probably with a Parkin goall.  Came home disappointed but not so much with the defeat but the manner of the second half.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 06:32:15 PM »

Nice one Ecky.

Yeah I hope we can adapt with two up top as Rankine appears like a good player, I just hope it doesn't take away our passing game. I still feel we play better with three in the midfield centre but let's give it go.

Jimmy

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 06:57:07 PM »

I think rankine offers us much more than Perry however the midfield is a man short for me
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Early thoughts