PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Retained and released players
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Retained and released players  (Read 20642 times)

ShropshireAlty

« on: April 28, 2015, 03:48:49 PM »

Just seen this on the main site:

Altrincham FC announces that "The following twelve players have been retained for the 2015-16 season:

Stuart Coburn
Shaun Densmore
Adam Griffin
Jake Moult
Gianluca Havern
Scott Leather
James Lawrie
Simon Richman
Damian Reeves
Nicky Clee
Tom Marshall
Ryan Crowther

Released List:

Steven Gillespie
Kyle Perry
David Parton
Sean Williams
Peter Cavanagh"

Those released all joined the club last summer, except for striker Kyle Perry who signed in 2013 and made 18 league starts last season plus 24 from the bench. Striker Steven Gillespie made 9(+13) league appearances whilst goalkeeper David Parton made 14 starts in the Conference. Midfielders Sean Williams and Peter Cavanagh made 22(+11) and 28(+6) league appearances respectively in 2014-15.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Retained and released players
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 03:51:03 PM »

cav is a suprise, the rest make sense
Bernard Taylors barmy army

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 04:02:42 PM »

Cav is a big surprise to me, I think he's been excellent for us although his disciplinary record and injuries havent helped, but still a surprise.

Also, really expected Dave Parton to be retained.

I like Sean Williams but suspect the physical demands of this league maybe a factor in LS letting him go.

Happy with the 12 retained and at least this gives us an opportunity to bring 5 or 6 players in, more than I expected.

York Alty

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 04:03:02 PM »

So now we need to invest in a goalkeeper. The Legend cannot continue forever, that is a prioroty for me. Get all the strikers you want, but with no quality keeper to call on should Stu be unavailable we're going to be in trouble.  

Surprised about Cav too, thought he may have another season in him at this level still.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 04:04:05 PM »

A bit gutted about Cav, I was the one banging the drum about him last pre-season prior to him signing - and I'm thoroughly glad I did. Would have thought he'd still have a lot to offer the lads.

Lee has been a lot more ruthless than I thought he would be - very intriguing to see what he's got up his sleeve.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 04:11:51 PM »

So now we need to invest in a goalkeeper. The Legend cannot continue forever, that is a prioroty for me. Get all the strikers you want, but with no quality keeper to call on should Stu be unavailable we're going to be in trouble.  

Think you might have put this slightly wrongly, you'd prioritise a reserve keeper who might play 10/12 games at best over signing a quality striker? It's not that important provided you haven't got a complete numpty as cover (Parton not a numpty incidentally). We do need one I agree, not the priority though.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 04:17:25 PM »

A bit gutted about Cav, I was the one banging the drum about him last pre-season prior to him signing - and I'm thoroughly glad I did. Would have thought he'd still have a lot to offer the lads.

I feared about Cav a bit at Wellingwhen their midfielders were just running straight past him. I suppose a combination of Achilles trouble, suspensions and age may have been what has forced Lee Sinnott's hand here. He won't be easily replaced but (and this goes for Williams too I suppose) the number of appearances tells the story. If you've only made 20-30 starts out of 50 for whatever reason then we probably can't afford to carry you, even if you have played well.

Shame for Williams but at least he can develop his career elsewhere now.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 04:18:15 PM »

No mention of Jordan Sinnott or Greg Wilkinson?

LymmRobin

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 04:18:51 PM »

What about J.Sinnout and Wilko?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 04:21:05 PM »

Cav is a big surprise to me, I think he's been excellent for us although his disciplinary record and injuries havent helped, but still a surprise.

Too slow, therefore, accrued too many bookings.

Started the season OK but then his influence waned.

I'm certainly not distraught at the news of his departure.

Also, really expected Dave Parton to be retained.

He never really convinced as the potential long term successor to Stuart Coburn though, did he?

I like Sean Williams but suspect the physical demands of this league maybe a factor in LS letting him go.

Plenty of endeavour but, alas, plenty of misplaced passes, too (and no goals).

A decent Conference North player.

I'm also pleased at the news of Perry's release (and Gillespie was simply an utter disaster).

No mention of Greg Wilkinson though.......or Jordan Sinnott!

« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 04:24:24 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

AFC56

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 04:24:02 PM »

Sinnott not on contract.

Presumably Wilko was released when he elected to stay on at Stockport after his one month loan expired.

Never saw official confirmation of that though.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 04:32:58 PM »

I think both cav and Williams may have injury concerns and with a small squad we can't carry people likely to miss a lot of games, I liked both players

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 04:37:39 PM »

Now the retained list is out, I can't wait to see who we bring in as replacements. As regards the departing players:

I know Williams wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but I really hoped he might be one for the future. Will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Cav was clearly a class act, but his disciplinary record was atrocious and it appears the years have caught up with him now. I just hope we have identified a younger replacement who can boss the midfield, but without picking up quite so many disciplinary points.

Gillespie looked a great signing upon his arrival, but ended up not living up to expectations. Very disappointing.

If we've let Parton go, we must have either lined up someone capable of keeping Stuart out of the team on merit (which would be great from a long term perspective) or Parton wants to go and get regular football elsewhere. Can't see the point in letting him go just to bring in another player of similar ability.

Kyle's departure leads me to believe we already have a striker lined up as, despite him not being the greatest athlete, he did do a job for us at times and could have quite justifiably been kept on as a squad player. Maybe it's a statement of intent that we are looking to really up the ante ahead of our second season back at this level.

An exciting couple of months ahead......

Come on Alty!

Hamilton

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 04:39:43 PM »

Not one of the retained list am I unhappy about.

We need a keeper, a left foorted defender, a dominant midfielder and 3 to play up front (left, right and centre) imho.

Jimmy

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 04:48:32 PM »

I think both cav and Williams may have injury concerns and with a small squad we can't carry people likely to miss a lot of games, I liked both players
I agree with pete
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team