PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 YOUR Altrincham XI
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: YOUR Altrincham XI  (Read 30673 times)

Alex

Re: YOUR Altrincham XI
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2015, 08:54:34 AM »

f**kin hell seen some sh*t teams listed for a best XI

Don't know why so many people think Reeves and Little would make a good partnership up front

Christ even on a thread about people naming the best XI THEY have SEEN play you have to have a pop. Getting a bit sad now think you may need to get a life.

As it states it's about the players you have seen, if you have only been going like me since 2004 who else are you going to pick other than a player who was the third highest goal scorer in the league in a team that got relegated and a man who scored for fun in the last few years.?

nimeta

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2015, 08:54:54 AM »

Just interested in peoples choce of Keeper. I guess Coburn is the resounding consensus, which I can't argue with, and the odd vote for John Conaughton. Nobody mentioned Alex Stepney. I saw him play the odd game, but I was very young in those days so not best placed to judge. What is the view (from our less youthful fans) on his performances for Alty??

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2015, 08:57:15 AM »

I have made a recent change to my First XI with Coburn finally replacing Connaughton, and Reeves has come on to the bench in place of Colin Little

Stuart Coburn

Peter Densmore
Mal Bailey
Ryan Shotton
John Davison

Barry Howard
John King
Jeff Johnson
Graham Barrow

Jack Swindells
John Rogers

Bench: John Connaughton, John Owens, Graham Heathcote, Paul Cuddy, Damien Reeves

As above but with Stan Allan at right back.
Curiously enough, don't agree with any of the subs! ???
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

AFC56

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2015, 09:42:59 AM »

1. Stuart Coburn
2. Shaun Densmore
3. Danny Adams
4. Paul Ellender
5. Mark Maddox
6. Eddie Hussin
7. Colin Potts
8. Ricky Harris
9. Colin Little
10. Duncan Watmore
11. Kevin Ellison

GB Alty

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2015, 10:12:44 AM »

No disrepect to carmody and harris but the current central midfield four we have are better players imo
I think you can only say that once were 4th in the conference

GB Alty

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2015, 10:17:15 AM »

f**kin hell seen some sh*t teams listed for a best XI

Don't know why so many people think Reeves and Little would make a good partnership up front
People may not been going as long as you Sybil so can't pick players they haven't seen we haven't won anything of note for 30 years so maybe some recent players won't be legends
That's nonsense Jimmy and no excuse for picking poor players like Simeon Hodson

Someone also picked Clive Freeman, a few nice goals, but he one of the worst defenders we ever had!

Jimmy

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2015, 11:06:05 AM »

No disrepect to carmody and harris but the current central midfield four we have are better players imo
If that was the case why you need 3 of them to win any game And it is disrespectful to carmody and Harris
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 08:22:28 PM by Jimmy »

taxi Phil

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2015, 11:39:32 AM »

Just interested in peoples choce of Keeper. I guess Coburn is the resounding consensus, which I can't argue with, and the odd vote for John Conaughton. Nobody mentioned Alex Stepney. I saw him play the odd game, but I was very young in those days so not best placed to judge. What is the view (from our less youthful fans) on his performances for Alty??

Obviously Alex Stepney was a quality player....and if I were considering the performances I saw him put in for United, and for England on my only international at Wembley, he'd be a natural choice.

But I picked my XI strictly on performances for Alty, and he'd only be my third choice....with Willie Mailey pushing him hard for that spot.

bighairedmike

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2015, 11:48:51 AM »

Not sure Shotton should be in. He was good but not as good as he is now. Also I give more credence to conference over conf north when considering merits of players.

Fair point concerning Shotton. But that's like saying we shouldn't have Ellison because he wasn't as good as he later went on to be, but he was still absolutely class in an Altrincham shirt. If I took Shotton out you'd probably (in my watching years anyway) have to replace him with Greg Young or Adam Smith.

EDIT: Who I've only just thought about as one of them definitely should have made my bench.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2015, 12:06:18 PM »

Not sure Shotton should be in. He was good but not as good as he is now. Also I give more credence to conference over conf north when considering merits of players.

Fair point concerning Shotton. But that's like saying we shouldn't have Ellison because he wasn't as good as he later went on to be, but he was still absolutely class in an Altrincham shirt. If I took Shotton out you'd probably (in my watching years anyway) have to replace him with Greg Young or Adam Smith.

EDIT: Who I've only just thought about as one of them definitely should have made my bench.

He was an absolute Institute for us.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2015, 01:36:43 PM »

Not really, Ellison can be selected or not on his Alty performances. I'd not even consider his subsequent league career. However, Shotton (at the time) was just a fairly good young player. He wasn't even the best defender in his time year (Greg Young for an 18 month period was)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2015, 01:43:11 PM »

Money where mouth is time I guess

Coburn
Davison (bit of artistic licence here having him at RB)
Densmore P
Young
Cuddy
Daws
Anderson
Harris
Showler
McKenna
Little

Subs Wealands Ellender Kearney Craney Watmore reeves

And the bit about our current midfield being better than Carmody and in particular Harris is total rubbish I'm afraid.

Bangor on Dee Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2015, 08:04:52 PM »

Jesus  ;D Sybil it's a bit of fun not a hanging offence, everyone has there favourite times of supporting Alty. Brenden Burke was not an Alty legend but god he could play (as you'd know if your football knowledge existed outside of Altrincham). FFS  :P

GB Alty

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2015, 08:12:14 PM »

Jesus  ;D Sybil it's a bit of fun not a hanging offence, everyone has there favourite times of supporting Alty. Brenden Burke was not an Alty legend but god he could play (as you'd know if your football knowledge existed outside of Altrincham). FFS  :P
Burke was not a good player for us, so why would you put him in your all time Alty team (from the players you have seen of course)

Jimmy

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2015, 08:15:54 PM »

Very rare I disagree with ballers however I thought shotton was a class player even in his days with us I didn't pick him because I don't consider him our player
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 YOUR Altrincham XI