PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Northwich away
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Northwich away  (Read 35027 times)

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
Re: Northwich away
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2015, 03:12:46 PM »

What a waste of time that was. I'd like to have known that we'd be playing the entire reserve team tonight so I could have decided not to go. The lads won the first 20 mins 0-0 and it looked like they they were going to rip Flixton apart, but then skill and enthusiasm was no match for stamina. As soon as the legs went the other lot had time and space and Brian Somerville looked like Cristiano Ronaldo.

Didn't you read the main site?

Also we played mostly youth players against Tranmere in the semi finals last year

And in the final the year before?
Not actually the case - this was the first time we put a total reserve/youth team out - none of the 16 man squad have played for the first team this season

Think the one in question is the 2011 final, where was just Twiss and Summerskill from the 1st team who played, the rest was youth.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2015, 03:37:55 PM »

Twiss AND Summerskill? Can't imagine for one minute why we lost.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2015, 03:41:45 PM »

What a waste of time that was. I'd like to have known that we'd be playing the entire reserve team tonight so I could have decided not to go. The lads won the first 20 mins 0-0 and it looked like they they were going to rip Flixton apart, but then skill and enthusiasm was no match for stamina. As soon as the legs went the other lot had time and space and Brian Somerville looked like Cristiano Ronaldo.

Also we played mostly youth players against Tranmere in the semi finals last year

Not actually the case - this was the first time we put a total reserve/youth team out - none of the 16 man squad have played for the first team this season

Think the one in question is the 2011 final, where was just Twiss and Summerskill from the 1st team who played, the rest was youth.

Summerskill was a Sinnott signing, so he wasn't at the club when we played Northwich Vics at Nantwich Town in the CSC Final in April 2011.

The Alty team that evening comprised:

30. Craig DOOTSON, 2. Matthew FEARON, 4. Joe COOMBS, 5. James SMART, 3. Jake BARNABAS, 7. Wes BAYNES, 8. Ryan BROWN (capt.), 6. Mohamed COLY, 11. Famoud SONKO, 9. Michael TWISS, 19. Mark BEESLEY,

Subs: 1. Stuart COBURN (gk), 12. Ashley WOODS, 14. Shaun DENSMORE, 15. Theo KIDD, 16. Sam LANGFORD,

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2015, 03:48:28 PM »

I was trying to remember when I'd seen some of these faces before. The website said fringe and reserve players. None of the ones I saw were exactly fringe and there is no real crossover between the reserve and first teams, despite a couple of unknowns on the bench at Kidderminster as unused subs. I would have expected some of the lesser used first team players using the game to get match fit.

If they were first team fringe, then we have serious problems

Isn't the fundamental problem that the titular reserve team is playing at a level that is a long way below Vanarama Conference (or even Vanarama Conference North) standard?

« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 03:51:01 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2015, 03:55:41 PM »

I think it's largely set up so that the youth teamers don't drift off straightaway rather than any real preparation for conference football

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2015, 04:01:15 PM »

I was trying to remember when I'd seen some of these faces before. The website said fringe and reserve players. None of the ones I saw were exactly fringe and there is no real crossover between the reserve and first teams, despite a couple of unknowns on the bench at Kidderminster as unused subs. I would have expected some of the lesser used first team players using the game to get match fit.

If they were first team fringe, then we have serious problems

Isn't the fundamental problem that the titular reserve team is playing at a level that is a long way below Vanarama Conference (or even Vanarama Conference North) standard?

To use a modern term they would more correctly be called the development squad.

bighairedmike

« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2015, 04:46:16 PM »

Summerskill was a Sinnott signing, so he wasn't at the club when we played Northwich Vics at Nantwich Town in the CSC Final in April 2011.

The Alty team that evening comprised:

30. Craig DOOTSON, 2. Matthew FEARON, 4. Joe COOMBS, 5. James SMART, 3. Jake BARNABAS, 7. Wes BAYNES, 8. Ryan BROWN (capt.), 6. Mohamed COLY, 11. Famoud SONKO, 9. Michael TWISS, 19. Mark BEESLEY,

Subs: 1. Stuart COBURN (gk), 12. Ashley WOODS, 14. Shaun DENSMORE, 15. Theo KIDD, 16. Sam LANGFORD,

Cheers Nasha and Cult! That's the game I was thinking of. Didn't realise that was almost 4(!) years ago. I knew I'd be able to rely on people such as your good selves to help me out. :)

Bangor on Dee Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2015, 07:16:14 PM »

Death of the Cheshire Cup ????? How I used to love the two legged semi's with Runcorn, the finals at Wincham park agains the Vics & the milk men . It's all bolloxed now  :P just the play offs and a trip to Wembley left.

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2015, 01:40:30 PM »

Believe it or not, a book is being written on the Cheshire Senior Cup; what it used to be like and how it is now. I am doing a bit of research for the author and conducted an impromptu interview with Taxi Phil on Tuesday night. If anyone has any more thoughts on the competition's decline or memories of big CSC games in days past then I'd appreciate it.

And before anyone asks, no, I don't know why anyone would want to write a book on it!
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2015, 02:05:14 PM »

There was a time around 35 years ago that Alty, Macc, Vics and Runcorn were all top sides and there were real rivalries, add in the league sides, Crewe and Tranmere used to enter, can't remember if County did. Even then though there was resentment that it took priority over the league and at one time games were on Saturdays.r
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

roytonmike

« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2015, 02:23:24 PM »

Believe it or not, a book is being written on the Cheshire Senior Cup; what it used to be like and how it is now. I am doing a bit of research for the author and conducted an impromptu interview with Taxi Phil on Tuesday night. If anyone has any more thoughts on the competition's decline or memories of big CSC games in days past then I'd appreciate it.
And before anyone asks, no, I don't know why anyone would want to write a book on it!
I have a copy of a book on the early years of the Senior Cup (1880-1915) by a chap called Keith Clayton. Basically it's a season-by-season record with some match reports. There was talk of a second volume but I for one haven't heard any more of it.
As to thoughts on the decline of the CSC, yes, I have some; you could date its gradual decline to the inception of the NPL (1968), the FA Trophy (1969) & finally the APL (1979) & the consequent widening of bigger clubs' horizons. I could rabbit on about this but will save others the pain of reading my verbal diarrhoea at the moment - I might try to put my thoughts in some sort of order at some stage!

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2015, 04:38:12 PM »

In the days when Northwich, Runcorn, Witton, Macclesfield and Altrincham (could probably include Winsford in that too) were all playing together at the highest levels on non-league football the CSC had some real rivalry in it. Now it all seems a bit pointless.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2015, 06:28:20 PM »

Well, I did see Alty play at Cammell Laird in February 1978 but I'd really rather not talk about it....

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2015, 06:31:52 PM »

The following year against Lairds wasn't much better - nor the previous years 3 semi finals against Vics

ripleym

« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2015, 06:33:00 PM »

Well, I did see Alty play at Cammell Laird in February 1978 but I'd really rather not talk about it....

[/quote]

Why, did we ship a lot of goals in the 6 yard box?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Northwich away