PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 What a result
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What a result  (Read 13500 times)

Hamilton

Re: What a result
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2014, 10:56:56 PM »

You know how it is when you are at work and catching up with the game as and when you can on |JL's excellent updates and you are 2-0 down and then you look again.....

and then you look again......

and then you look again.....

and you realise it IS true we are suddenly 3-2 ahead.

Yes I did keep reloading the screen as I couldn't quite believe it.

Before the game I thought we might get something, but not at 2-0 down with 20 mins left. Well done Alty!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 11:05:21 PM by Hamilton »

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2014, 06:12:47 AM »

Strange and odd game.  Ithought the selection was right and we bossed the possession until the sending off.  Changing formation in the 2nd half was crucial too.  Apart from durrell, wrexham were very very poor.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Jimmy

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2014, 11:41:54 AM »

Can't agree about the selection being right how can reeves be left out

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2014, 01:13:24 PM »

I can see the logic of perry being at the front of the line.  Reeves can start but if we play that formation it will be for gillespie behind perry and alongside lawrie
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Jimmy

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2014, 02:41:00 PM »

I can see the logic of perry being at the front of the line.  Reeves can start but if we play that formation it will be for gillespie behind perry and alongside lawrie
Gillespie wants to up his game a huge amount or go and we had plenty of ball but looked toothless without reeves which we are

GB Alty

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2014, 02:48:43 PM »

Gillespie should never play for the club again after yesterdays farce

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2014, 05:09:47 PM »

Pretty sure Reeves was not fully fit, but certainly glad he came on.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2014, 05:30:54 PM »

You will never convince me that Perry should be picked ahead of Damo.

If Perry got himself fit then it may help his cause.  I know people on here will say that Perry scores goals but my argument is, how many could he score if he made the effort to get fit.

KP? .... Not for me .

I would love the manager to tell me the reason he rates him ahead of Damo. But then this manager baffles me most weeks

Jimmy

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2014, 08:20:15 PM »

I don't think he does rate him better than reeves he thinks it's just a different style to win a game to be fair to perry he isn't playing to bad but when we leave out reeves I can't remember it working

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2014, 08:20:45 PM »

Just a word of sympathy for Steve Gillespie.....the ball took a dreaful bobble just as he was about to stroke it home. I still think he has plenty to offer us.

No sympathy here, he was lacksadaisical in the extreme and barely even looked at the ball when he went to tap it it in. Just seems to sum up his career here so far. I mean, that gift horse should have been blasted into the goal and a bit of fist pumping, but it was listless.

That doesn't come out right I suppose, you don't have to blast it but he just didn't look. And I don't know if I'm being harsh here but he looked mightily relieved to be sacrificed to bring Tom Marshall on. I mean, compare the reaction if you'd tried to drag say Walshaw/McKenna etc off...

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2014, 08:26:17 PM »

Sinnott got away with his awful selection today. They played the first half like they had never met before and we're all over the place. The replacement of Perry by Reeves at h/t made such a difference, although the 1 man advantage was important too (although in typical Alty style we made hard work of it).

Same as the Grimsby side I believe plus Perry was responsible for setting up our only chance of the half (for Gillespie) so did quite well I think. Reeves has been quiet in recent games so I can see why Lee has gone with this team. Brilliant response from him though and when given the opportunity to attack and swing balls into the box then there's no other player better suited to the job.

The selection wasn't as awful as some he's come up with in the past but Golf Roaders last sentence explains why his first couple are wrong. Damien Reeves simply has to play, he has to be on the pitch. The man is a goalscorer. I sincerely hope that Lee Sinnott does not fall into the trap that Ken McKenna did in thinking that because Reeves doesn't always (look like he is) offering much that we are somehow better off without him. Just two more Damien Reeves tap ins that season would've kept us up.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2014, 08:35:39 PM »

Gillespie wants to up his game a huge amount or go and we had plenty of ball but looked toothless without reeves which we are

I think we're in danger of pigeon holing players here.

Firstly Perry was okay when the ball was played into him but I called it about 15 minutes in that it was such a fluid game that we needed more movement up front. We were getting plenty of space on either flank but he wasn't getting there (to be fair the pitch was about the size of the Serengetti).

I'm not sure if Perry is the lead target man why Reeves can't play just behind him. At times we talk about Damien like he can't actually control a ball  and only plays in the 6 yard box. I think his all round game has come on quite a bit actually in recent times and was shown again yesterday (he's certainly a hard worker. If Perry is going to flick balls through, lay them off etc up front, I think I'd prefer him to do it to a player who's scored 100+ goals for us, wouldn't you?

Now obviously, we don't want him forever dropping deep and working in areas  he's not effective (which will happen whenever KP doesn't move at all) but you don't have to be a 'number 10' in the Cantona, Zidane whatever mould, you just need to get the ball, give it to someone then get yourself in the box. And Damien can do that. He doesn't just know where to stand in the penalty area he knows when and where to run to as well.

As an example of him starting from deep and making a superb run just look at his first goal yesterday.

My preference fwiw for the strikers would be Reeves and Lawrie. Lawrie likes to play off Reeves and I think we need him to stretch teams with his pace getting beyond defenders a little more.

Jimmy

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2014, 09:17:33 PM »

I think it's fairly simple if reeves clee and leather play enough games we will stay if they don't I'd be shocked if we stayed up

bumble

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2014, 11:19:38 AM »

I think it's fairly simple if reeves clee and leather play enough games we will stay if they don't I'd be shocked if we stayed up

I think in Crowther, we have someone if clee is out (but he must start)

Shame can not be currently said about reeves

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2014, 12:54:14 PM »

Very surprised at how clueless Wrexham were for the last half hour. All three of our goals came from the same source yet no-one seemed able to stop the crosses coming in, Adam was stood on his own and had time and space to deliver the ball. Surely the manager has to take blame for that.
Oh, and if Damian hadn't have replaced Kyle Perry, we wouldn't have won.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 What a result